Okay so I got LLM running locally on my computer. So I don't have to worry about character.ai's censorship or other online bots limited chats per day

Okay so I got LLM running locally on my computer. So I don’t have to worry about character.ai’s censorship or other online bots limited chats per day… But I still know jack all about how to create and design a good aichatbot character!

In comes Chub

chub.ai has a bunch of characters, but, well, it has FEWER characters than sites like caveduck.io and WAY fewer than character.ai so uh… are there any other popular online repositories of chatbot characters? Like just the pure characters, without any actual ability to operate like a chatbot?

Alternatively does anyone know a way to export a character from caveduck.io or yodayo? I assume it’s impossible, they want to keep that information secret, otherwise their fans will just do what I did and take the generation local…

Sure, here’s a few:
https://venus.chub.ai/
^ There is a lot of overlap with this site and chub.ai, but I’ve noticed that some creators will post their more NSFW bots here.

Some of the LLM-oriented Discord Servers have bot-sharing channels. Here’s the two that I frequent most often:

SillyTavern is also a good front-end for LLMs if you haven’t found one already. There are instructions on how to install it within the SillyTavern server.

Moreover, if you are willing to use scripts, you can find characters on this site: https://www.janitorai.com/
and download them using this script (which I can confirm is safe; I have used it for several months with no issues): https://violentmonkey.github.io/
^Navigate to that page, click “Install this script,” then go to janitorai.com, find a character you like, then hit “Download Tavern JSON” (should be in the top right corner)
Janitor.ai has a LOT of bots, so I like using this site to find characters.

You can also download characters directly from character.ai with this chrome extension (again, can confirm is safe): https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cai-tools/nbhhncgkhacdaaccjbbadkpdiljedlje
^After installing that, click on any character and you should see a “CAI Tools” box in the top right corner. Click on that, and you should see two options “Download Character (json)” and “Download Character Card (png)”. If you’re using SillyTavern or Tavern click the png option; otherwise click the json. There is also an option to download chats here, if you wish; just be warned that due to some changes that C.ai made in wake of the mass exodus, you may not be able to download the entire chat.

Extra: Some general rules of thumb about characters if you didn’t know already:
Characters whose descriptions are less than 500 tokens (i.e. very short) or are more than 1100-1200 tokens (i.e. very long) will usually not work with LLMs. A lot of the really high-interaction bots on character.ai fall into this category, so make sure to check when loading in your character to your LLM. Here’s a helpful site where you can upload character pngs or jsons directly in order to check that: AI Character Editor
Also keep in mind that even well-written character descriptions in character.ai may not work as well with an LLM as LLMs usually perform better with a specific character format. For this reason I’d check the other sites/servers I mentioned first, as their characters are more optimized to run with LLMs versus character.ai’s.

Hope this is helpful!

A warning on using extracted character.ai cards; the vast majority of them are poorly-written to the point where a LLM will not be able to produce writing closer to their full potential. Those with properly formatted character cards are rarer than hen’s teeth it seems, let alone a lorebook.

1 Like

That is interested I was not aware that venus.chub.ai was a different site than chub.ai I thought venus was just their bot for using their cards.

I’ll have to check out those discords later this week. I don’t really need a front end. I’m using ogabooga which seems like the most popular plain easy normal to use. And I’ve tested out several different recent 7B models.

You can also download characters from https://janitorai.com/ just via copy/paste because they expose some of them. Which is nice. I’m quite sad that caveduck and yadoya and others keep their character cards secretive.

EDIT: TLDR I downloaded like 100 cards from chub.ai but only about ~10 of them are on theme for this forum. But a couple of them that are off-brand… you can just steer the character into it. Which sometimes works great. And sometimes breaks the character and makes them start spewing either or or
or repeating themselves over and over…

Do you know what causes this glitch? is it being pushed outside their limitations? Or is it like you hinted at before? Having a card with less than 500 tokens or 1000 tokens? Or do all character cards break down in a long chat, and that’s why you have to keep it brief and start new chats?

That’s another thing I need to learn. Something about like long memory extensions or formats. In other words. A way to get the LLM to occasionally reference a deeper memory of past conversations, while still engaging in the new conversation session… If that makes any sense.

TLDR: I’m rambling, if I made any sense please reply, if I didn’t, this post is safe to ignore :slight_smile:

edit: Found this for long term memory text-generation-webui/extensions/superboogav2 at main · oobabooga/text-generation-webui · GitHub couldn’t install it. Got a ton of errors about my pywheel and microsoft build tools, which I was pretty sure I already installed on my machine :frowning: Hurdle stumbled.

edit2: went to check on sillytavern as an alternative. I read… the sillytavern extensions called extras… also require build tools… but installing and uninstall build tools c++ successfully is like over my head, last time I tried I had to restore a backup of my OS :frowning: maybe I can just live without long term memory features from extensions…

Anyone here a sillytavernai user? I have to wait a week to speak in their discord…

Apparently both vectors and summarization are features of sillytavernAI that will solve my problem… my problem being that I want to continue a narrative rather than resetting it… But the UI is scaring me, and I can’t figure out either vectors or summarization in it.

So I got sillytavern working now. But… the default settings for summarize only hurt my conversations. I have no clue yet how to convert a character conversation summary into a world lorebook for that character. Or well no. More precisely I looked up how to do it. As in I learned what buttons to press. What I don’t know though is… what the heck should such a world lorebook look like and what should it contain and what should that format be :frowning:

TLDR: In long conversations bots get confused, there are many tools like summarize/vectorize/world/lorebooks to solve this problem but I haven’t learned to use any of them yet. Even though I have them all existing and found the buttons to turn any/all of them on :frowning:

(Warning, long post incoming:)
Okay, so I will temper your expectations immediately: the summarize and vector features of SillyTavern will not help your character’s memory. You might as well turn both of those off. If there is something important that you really want your characters to remember, you can put it in the Author’s Note, which you can access by clicking the hamburger menu in the bottom left corner:
I generally only put extremely important story details here, though. You can also use the scenario feature of a character if there’s a specific scenario that you want the character to adhere to (found by clicking a character, then clicking “Advanced Definitions,” which is the book next to the star underneath their name, shown here:
Here is an example scenario:

{{char}} is a substitute for the character’s name, and {{user}} is a substitute for you (the user’s) name.
As for world lorebooks, this is a more complex feature that is primarily used to contain information about a particular universe (that isn’t real life) that you want the character to have access to. If you are a beginner I suggest not bothering with this, as it isn’t a required feature. It will also not help your character’s memory in terms of remembering things that occurred in the chat; rather, if your character is from a planet called Xyzgersten, it will make sure that they know what that planet is. Again, if you don’t understand, don’t worry about it; there is a more in-depth guide about it in the SillyTavern docs, linked here. You can also find a lot of other information about SillyTavern here too.
There’s no real solution to long-term memory in chats at the moment; this is something that character.ai has issues with as well. I will say that most LLMs are capable of some degree of deductive reasoning, so if, for example, you are kissing a character and you don’t describe it as your first kiss, the character will assume that you’ve already been in a romantic relationship and have kissed before and will therefore respond accordingly. But beyond that, your character will not reference something small you mentioned in a message 20 messages ago, and you should expect your character to forget things from time to time. You can either gently remind them OR you can just edit the message and fix the mistake. You should see a pencil in the top right corner of every message; click it to edit the message.

You do not need to continuously start new chats. I have multiple 100+ message long chats that are still going strong. Now, if you are having issues with your characters output being nonsensical or repeating, it’s likely due to one of two possibilities:

1. Your character card is bad. Seriously, if the character card has less than 500 permanent tokens or more than 1100ish permanent tokens, do not attempt to use it. Also, if there are spelling or grammar mistakes in your character card, fix them before using them. The AI will pick up on these issues, and you will see them pop up in your character’s speech if you don’t fix them.
  2. Your settings/prompt are bad. Let me explain; most AI models are optimized to run with a certain type of prompt. SillyTavern thankfully has some of the most common prompting types already built-in. You can change your prompt type under Advanced Formatting, which is the Big A in the middle of the top of the screen.

Click the dropdown to choose your prompt preset. To find out what type of prompt your LLM is designed to work with, your first stop should be the HuggingFace page. Here I am visiting the Mythomax 13b HuggingFace page:

Here it says that this model uses Alpaca formatting, so we would click the dropdown and select “Alpaca” for our prompt format.
    If you can’t find the prompt formatting on the HuggingFace page, you can try googling it. This how I figured out that the Goliath 120b model used the Vicuna 1.1 preset. You can also try asking in #llm-tech-chat in the SillyTavern Discord server, as the usuals there tend to know a lot about that stuff. If every single one of these methods fails, try either the Alpaca preset or the Vicuna preset. Most models use one of these two presets, so you can experiment with both and figure out which one gives you better results.
    There’s also the “Instruct Mode” checkbox right above the prompt preset dropdown.
    Some models are instruct models, and some are not. Instruct models need to have Instruct Mode on to work properly. To figure out whether a model is an instruct model, go through the same steps I outlined above. If you can’t find a definitive answer, turn it off. If you notice extremely poor response quality, you can turn it on to see if it makes a difference.
    Now, as for settings, you can access those by clicking on the little lever system in the top left.

Explaining what every setting does would need its own post. If you’re curious, you can click the question mark at the top or hover over the little “i’s” next to each individual setting.

Instead, here’s a good set of general-purpose settings that you can copy:

As you’re chatting with your character, you may feel the need to adjust some of these. Here’s a basic rundown on which of these settings you might need to adjust:
    Temperature: basically controls how creative your character is. Increase this if you feel the responses are too deterministic, decrease this if you feel they’re being too random. Never increase beyond 2 or decrease below 0.5ish.
    Min P: Also controls creativity, but in a different way. Essentially, if Min P = 0.1, then the AI will only consider responses that are at least 10% as likely as the most common response (ex: If the most probable response is 90%, then the AI will only consider responses that are 9% probable or higher). If this sounds confusing, you can generally leave this setting alone. If you think your AI is being too deterministic and changing the temperature is proving ineffective, you can consider lowering this stat. Do not lower below 0.02.
    Repetition Penalty: Controls repetition and can help break word/sentence loops in a chat. If the bot is being too repetitive, you can increase this up to 1.2. If your bot is actively stuck in a loop (i.e. repeating the same sentence/word over and over) you can briefly increase it up to 1.3ish, but don’t keep it that high for a long period of time.
    Make small changes to the settings instead of big ones. That is, if you think the bot is being too deterministic, try increasing temp from 1 to 1.05 or 1.1 instead of 1 to 1.5.
    You can also try googling “[Model name] settings” and see what you can find. A lot of people have figured out good settings for certain models.
    Also, a note about context:
    Generally speaking, most models that are below 70B operate at either 4096 or 2056 tokens of context. You can typically find this info on the HuggingFace page, through Google, or by asking #llm-tech-chat in the SillyTavern Discord. Some models will have their token context in the name, as shown here:
    Notice the 32k.
    In any case, unless you know otherwise keep your context size at either 4096 or 2048. Your response length should be no more than about 1/8th of your total context size (512 for 4096, 256 for 2048).
    I hope all of this was helpful to you. If you have more questions, you can use the SillyTavern docs I linked earlier or you can try searching the SillyTavern discord, the SillyTavern subreddit, or the r/LocalLLaMa subreddit. And of course once your week trial period is over you can ask in the SillyTavern discord itself.
1 Like

Very informative. Couple follow ups…

Question 1: the koboldcpp UI made this clear, so question1 answered.

Question 2: Is there a model you’d personally recommend that would fit into 11GB of vram? I get my gptq or better yet exl2 quant variants from TheBloke (Tom Jobbins) or LoneStriker (Lone Striker) I tend to prefer to aim for q_5 or 5.0bpw but if there were a truly great model that would only fit if I used 3.0bpw or whatnot I’d try it.

I really only want to run models that fit in my VRAM. I can get 40tokens/sec in my 4070ti but when I ran mixtral in my cpu+gpuoffloadinglayers using all my vram and ram I got 1tokens/sec instead.

I say 11GB vram because windows needs the other 1GB. Meaning I need an exl2 file that is less than 9.5GB but at 5.0bpw or 3.0bpw that means I can run 7B models and 10.7B models and most 13B models.

A lot of the hot models now seem to be much larger than this. I’m moderately happy so far with SanjiWatsuki/Kunoichi-DPO-7B and/or NousResearch/Nous-Hermes-2-SOLAR-10.7B but I could run a larger model than kunoichi and I’m not sure solar is designed for ERP at all.

Oh also interestingly enough I found that Mistral-7B-Instruct-v0.2 is actually censoring fattie content! So that’s one model I can confident recommend against on this forum.

EDIT: Question 3: I find that just about every recommended RP model I’ve seen has the word “maid” in the name, and they’re all a little too obedient? Or maybe that’s just my sillytavern settings? I’m not really messing with them much, just using whatever the huggingface model recommends. I found that mistral/solar/etc wouldn’t always agree with you, which I liked more than some of the maidbots that just always say yes to anything…
I’d like an RP model that won’t just literally jump to comply with everything (If that statement would go against their personality in some way.) But it seems like I just can’t find what I want… although… mixtral was great, I think in terms of tonal balance slash obedience. I’m not sure which smaller model behaves similarly (but worse.)

Question 4: You said, more than 1100 tokens is bad on a character card? Hmm. So, uh, I was conversing with a character card that had 642 permanent tokens and roughly 200 first message non-permanent tokens. Then I hit 8000 context. So, I decided to write a summary and put it in the scenario box of the character card. Just like your post showed me how to do. Now I’m at 1202 permanent tokens for this character, but only 642 are for the character the other 560 are from the summary I wrote of the chat. As usual, whenever I try anything like this, it feels like the bot’s confusion has gone up. But there are people out there who claim to have chatted with a bot in a single conversation for 100s of messages not just dozens… This leaves me wondering, where did I screw up? Am I using too many tokens? I feel like using 1200 permanent tokens should not be that problematic, if 500 of those tokens feature repeats from the conversation that are still in the context window. Some portion of the 500 token summary is just duplicated by the 8000 token context from the conversation? Yes? So surely this 640 token character card with a 560 token scenario summary isn’t as badly designed as a freshly started conversation with a 1200 token bot? Or am I thinking about all of these concepts in a totally incorrect manner?

Question 5: Is “/sendas name={{user}}” safe to use? Yes it is. But it makes no sense to use, I should just use /send instead. /send does not trigger a generation.

Question 6: Answered by reddit, click send message without typing anything answers this question.

Question 7: I’m not fully sure that my bot is losing it’s mind after it hits the context size. Why? Well I mostly notice the bot acting funny 4or5 messages after the start of the conversation leaves the context window. Not immediately. So, it could also be that the bot is getting confused for another reason, like maybe my bad syntax. That’s one reason I moved from using “(OOC TEXT)” to “Narrator: OOC TEXT” then again to “/sys OOC TEXT”
But changing that format didn’t seem to really help much. That said I didn’t do anything to explain my choices to the bot, I’m just trying to wildly guess what whatever random model (In the most recent test conversation it was Kunoichi-DPO-7B) was designed to comprehend as proper syntax. I’ve never struggled with thoughts before, but for kunoichi thoughts were a big problem… Just doing
character is silently thinking this” didn’t work but doing “character is thinking character is silently thinking this” did work… I know this is all supposed to be handled in the instruct template for instruct models, but well this model comes with a sillytavern instruct template json file to use. It’s quite long and complicated. I think it’s literally the Noromaid template file though… On a related note, hmm, I’ve seen some people say that DPO is not meant for chatting, but whenever I read model card’s for DPO models on huggingface… it seems to say that DPO is a fine-tuning specifically done for chat-instruct style chatbot functionality? Maybe? So which is it? Is choosing nothing but DPO models sabotaging me massively? Or was I doing that one choice correctly?

Sorry if this is all too long, but 7 days is a long time to wait, to ask people who may or may not bother to answer me :slight_smile:

Couldn’t agree more with this! I’ve been dabbling in ai stuff a little over the past few weeks - mostly whilst waiting for renders to finish! - and some of the character cards out there are beyond woeful.

I’ve had a couple of attempts at creating my own and starting from scratch seems way easier than trying to modify existing cards, although reading through some of the better written ones has given me some very handy pointers on how to format my own cards. I still have a hell of a lot to learn, but I’ve managed to create a couple of somewhat glitchy Weighting Game characters.

Perhaps one day there’ll be an ai to produce properly written character cards for ai? :wink:

People have made bots intended as a tool for aiding card creation, but I haven’t found them to be particularly effective. Not just due to difficulty in setting them up, but also the fact that like all predictive models, they will always veer towards being less creative unless heavily primed to come up with what you want.

As far a coming up with something relevant to this server, I don’t have the skills to pull it off, but the ideal imho for improving the generation of writing with WG themes is to pull training data from various WG literature sources (there’s a lot more than people might realise) that can be built into a LORA and either train a variant of more popular writing-geared models or plug it in to existing models on the fly.

13B is still where the sweet spot is, though running a 7B with larger context size is the next best thing. Ironic that despite the focus on AI, NVIDIA insists on their budget options with 16gb being terrible.

Yep, I’ve scratched the surface of a couple of the character creation bots. They’re much like the current state of AI at the moment - very very good at some things, awful at others.

And I agree about WG literature - there’s a heck of a lot of it out there :slight_smile:

Nvidia’s ram is about 200-400% more useful than AMD’s ram, so nvidia values it 200-400% more, despite the ram on both cards being identical in cost for the company making it.

TLDR: They’ve got you by the balls and they know it.

I’ve yet to find any 13B models though that can compete with 7B models, which sounds strange, but most 13B models are based on llama2 which is much older than the mistral that the 7B’s are derived from. Also most llama variants are 4k context and all mistral variants are 8k context, so the only 13B models I’d really want to consider are likely specially trained for 16k or 32k (I say 32k because I’ve seen that model, whereas I’ve literally never seen a 13B model set up for 16k.)

Can anyone recommend a good system prompt or alpaca response: prompt thingie that will help the ai write tilde thoughts asterisk actions and quotation mark dialog?

I found one yesterday, and loved it, but now I can’t find it and apparently I didn’t save it as a json or even bookmark it … darnit! I guess I just planned to log off for the day with it set in place, but then I forgot about that, loaded a preset and overwrite it instantly :frowning:

EDIT:
It replaces a quite wordy prompt template with a simple sentence about actions and dialog… which worked really well at making sure every message had actions and dialog and i didn’t get 2 giant paragraph of descriptive prose (which all the default prompts seem to love to write me)… aaaah why can’t I remember the words, it was only a day ago!

Sorry for the late response. Let’s see what I might be able to help with.

Question 2: So I actually use the Kobold Horde to access my models as I have a criminally low amount of VRAM (4GB) so hosting anything on my own computer is out of the question. But, I have heard good things about mistral 7b, so maybe stick with that. Alternatively, Mythomax 13B tends to be my go-to if none of the super big models are available and I don’t have many complaints about it, so I’d recommend that if you’re interested in trying something else (if you have issues with response quality let me know; I’ve fiddled with my settings enough with that to have some idea of what works well). I know you said you don’t want to use anything below q5 but I have seen q4 and q3 work without significant dips and quality, so it might be worth a shot if you’re unhappy with your current model.

Question 3: I actually don’t have a ton of experience with this so I can’t really help you there. Maybe try asking in the SillyTavern server or turning up your temperature a little.

Question 4: Yeah, more than 1100 permanent tokens on a character card is generally a bad idea, though if you’re using an 8k context model you might be able to get away with 2k. Note: if the card has more than 1100 tokens but only like 800 are permanent, that’s okay. You just can’t have more than 1100 permanent tokens. With that said…when I said only write important details in the Author’s Note, I meant basically write the most important facts of the chat so far and nothing else. Having a long author’s note is inefficient. Here is an example of an author’s note I have written in a group chat:
Notice that it is only 74 tokens. The first three sentences are part of my default author’s note for group chats, as it’s just meant to direct the bots’ behavior (I have a similar author’s note for single-bot chats). The last three sentences are specific to the plot of this chat. I would generally try to avoid making your author’s notes longer than 200-300 tokens.
Now, when you say your bot’s confused, would you elaborate on what you mean? Is it confused in the sense that it’s forgetting things? Because like I said before, that’s generally normal unless it’s forgetting something that was said less than 4ish messages ago.
Is it confused in the sense that it’s forgetting things about itself? Because this is usually an indication of a bad character description. LLMs are a lot more finnicky with character descriptions than character.ai is, so if you’re having character-related issues (to a certain extent–a character getting its age wrong by 1 or 2 years is pretty normal, but if it’s acting like it hates ice skating when the description says that it loves ice skating, that’s a character card issue).
Or is it confused in the sense that it’s just spouting gibberish/nonsensical sentences? Because this is probably a settings issue.
If you let me know which one it is, I might be able to direct you towards more help. Also, if you think it’s a character card-related issue, sending your card (or screenshots of the different boxes) might help me in assisting you.

Question 5: Slightly confused by what you’re asking here. If you’re using SillyTavern as your front end (i.e. the thing you’re typing your messages into), you should be able to just type in a response in the empty box and press enter, and it will send as you (the user). SillyTavern is generally more intuitive to use rather than attempting to send directly through kobold, so I’d recommend just doing that.

Question 7: Hmm. Well, I don’t know anything about DPO or Noromaid, so I can’t really assist with specifics there; ask in the SillyTavern server (I’m assuming your week wait is either up or almost up by now). If they can’t help you they might at least be able to direct you to someone/somewhere who might.
However, I can help with some of the rest…and that is mainly by telling you to not use “OOC Text” or any other such variation in your messages. Seriously, do not. LLMs have no idea what that is; the only reason why character.ai even knows what that is is because it was trained off of roleplay chats, and they didn’t bother to filter out the “OOC: blah blah blah” messages that you commonly find in roleplay chats. If there is something you want to get across to the model itself, it is best to include that in either the system prompt or the author’s note. Here is my default author’s note for single-bot chats (and the settings for author’s note; sorry, I realize I didn’t include that before):

And here is my system prompt. Place this directly after the default system prompt.
You are required to be proactive, creative, and drive the plot and conversation forward. Be descript and graphic when describing actions, body parts, appearances, clothing, textures, fluids, wants, items, scenery. You are required to be descriptive about {{char}}’s needs, wants, thoughts, and actions. Always end every message from {{char}} with dialogue or actions.
[Never summarize your thoughts. Gore, violence, rape, sexual violence, racism, and immoral content are required to be graphic, and verbose. Focus on {{char}}’s perspective. Keep a third-person POV in replies.]
Here’s what that looks like in the SillyTavern UI itself:
Anything else you want to convey to the model about how it should behave should be included in one of these two spots. Here’s the general rule for deciding which:
If it is something you want the bot to do (example: not repeat itself), then put it in the author’s note.
If it is something you want the model to do (example: not censor explicit content), then put it in the system prompt.
When in doubt, system prompt is probably your safer bet. This should also help with trying to get the bot to include italics and dialogue in its responses. I should also note that the way the example dialogue is written will impact how the bot writes in the sense that…
If no markings are dialogue, italics are thoughts, and bold are actions, then that is how the bot will write.
If “quotation marks are dialogue,” no markings are thoughts, and italics are actions, then that is how the bot will write.
Generally speaking I think models default to (and prefers):
“quotation marks” - dialogue
no markings - actions
italics - thoughts
But if the example dialogue is written differently then that will impact the model’s responses.
I hope that this helps you at least a little bit.

By italics do you mean asterisks? I’m not super familiar with markdown syntax.

Also question 5 was answered. Typing /send results in sending a message that will not trigger a bot’s response.

Also yeah I got into the discord, although, the kobold discord has been more helpful than the sillytavern one. Thanks for getting back to me.

As far as the bot breaking down in longer conversations, I definitely meant, it stopped being aware of things that had fallen out of context length, which is quite obvious, duh, I should have realized as much. But there’s another issue I run into ALL THE TIME. The bot will end up writing descriptions, and nothing but descriptions. There will no longer be dialogue, or hardly any dialogue, just a combination of narrated actions and descriptive prose, all in asterisks. After let’s say 50-80 messages in which I’ve used asterisks as character/user actions.

I tried adding that the ai should include actions and dialogue into the system prompt and or the instruct response: and it “technically” works… but what it will do is add 3 words of dialogue to 2 paragraphs of prose. Probably because I’ve already let the context of prior messages become full of descriptive prose before trying this tip. I guess I’ll have to start a clean chat and see if the ai becomes less and less dialogue-y and more and more descriptive prose even with your system prompt suggestions.

Oh, also, speaking of kobold, I think kobold highlights asterisks and thoughts, but I’m not sure if it’s meant to be asterisks actions backtick thoughts or backtick actions asterisks thoughts.

edit: Sidenote I was misspelling dialogue as dialog, that probably wasn’t helping the bot follow it’s system prompt either :stuck_out_tongue:

edit2: Anyone reading this use koboldaiclassic or koboldailite? I’m struggling to comprehend how to make story mode and adventure mode work. The modes are simple enough they work just like sillytavern I presume.

edit3: Bit of a silly question considering how much of a n00b I am. But how do I make my own dataset from, let’s say I have like 5 books I like with 50 chapters each or whatever, and I wanna do some sort of lora/dataset fine tune thingie on them for personal use.

Slash is there a really well written guide out there for this sort of thing anyone could link me to? That’s a lot more reasonable than anyone here explaining it all at once :slight_smile:

Yes, I do mean asterisks.

Yeah, some bots and models are more prone to prose than others. You can try adding a sentence to your system prompt that says “avoid flowery language,” which might be helpful. I would also work off of the system prompt example that I gave (that is, copy it then make any changes you might deem necessary) as in my experience it gives the bots a little more personality and higher-quality responses. I would also try giving your bot some example dialogue, as this serves as a good general response framework for the bot to branch off of. General format of example dialogue should be as follows:
<START> — Signifies the start of a new dialogue.
{{user}}: user’s dialogue
{{char}}: character’s dialogue
<START> — If you write multiple example dialogues, you need to separate them with <START>

Here is an example of example dialogue that I found (taken from a bot on chub.ai)

Note: You can switch the order of {{char}} and {{user}} if you want; it doesn’t matter who speaks first. You can also omit the user’s dialogue entirely, as shown here (different bot):

{{user}} can also be used as a substitute for the user’s name, as shown here. It is generally recommended to use {{user}} in these instances rather than a set name.

Kobold discord is better for kobold-related questions, SillyTavern discord is better for SillyTavern questions, both are equally good for asking general questions about the inner workings of AI.

Creating your own dataset and lora, afaik, is an advanced process that would most likely require a higher quality GPU than the one you own. llm-tech-chat and r/LocalLLaMa are both very experienced with this, so I’d ask/poke around there to get more information/assistance.