On RPGs: Fattening Mobs/Creatures

Back again with a new one of these! It’s been so long

So, this is a site where we like seeing our main/side characters getting fat, right? Well, there’s got to be some way your being puts on the pounds. Now there are other ways, such as a few good meals, but who doesn’t love it when someone or something goes out of their way to fatten up your character?

Now these creatures can come in many different varieties: plants, animals, even shapeless blobs with the soul purpose of feeding itself to you. These will usually serve as antagonists or basic enemies in your game, though things can be changed to add variety to your world and depending on your world might determine how unique they are and what you might go with.

In a simple game set up in a fantasy setting, just the usual slime and fattening vine might do, but the further you develop your world, the more life you might want to add to it. Original creatures with a unique reason and purpose that people might not have heard before make the space more intruiging to the player and add new mysteries or curiosities the player might want to figure out.

I’m trying to develop a world myself, and while it might be difficult to think of crazy unique mobs, I have found myself looking for a real creature and giving them a different purpose, something the antagonists can use for their benefit. For example, one of my creatures is a spider. It lives in more mountainous regions as well as lively cave systems or dungeons. It’s about half the size of the average human, and feeds on insects or large animals that accidentally cross its path. Though, when it encounters a more intelligent being, such as an elf or dragoness, something clicks, and instead of feasting on them, the spider feeds them with leftovers as they lay caught in its web, unless they can escape.

If you had to make a unique fattening mob for your world, what would they look like and what would they do? Are they humanoid, plantlike, or something else? Would they feed their victim with something they produce or with another substance? Where would they live and what could they be called by the locals? What genre would they best fit in?

7 Likes

Well there is this yokai (kind of a japanese ghost/fairy/monster thingy) that doesn’t have it’s own physical or spiritual manifestation, but it’s more of a super natural disease, and it’s called Nebutori. The disease makes it so women will gain massive amounts of weight in their sleep, so it’s less of a mob and more of a debuff/buff that you would have to worry about!

And when I was reading about the Nebutori, I also ran into another yokai phenomenom called Futakuchi, this is a curse that will turn a woman into a yokai. The woman, now yokai, still looks like a normal human after the curse, but at the back of their head they will have grown a second mouth. The mouth will demand the woman to feed it, lest it will cause pain to the host, it can also use the woman’s hair as appendages to feed itself (which I imagine would cause the host to gain a lot of weight, since the little parasitic bastard eats twice as much as the woman normally does!).

Now these things wouldn’t work as a traditional monster battle, but more as events that the character could stumble upon, and the player would have to deal with the consequences of contracting these yokai diseases/curses. Of course, nothing stops you from modifying them to work with accordingly to what you’d like, like changing the fact that they only affect women and such.

5 Likes

you mean 二口女(ふたくちおんな) right? Filia in “Skull Girl” just like that, she already had a lot of fan art about Samson eating and Filia be fattening.

2 Likes

So it’s almost like a parasite that requires the host to eat more than usual, right? That is honestly a really good one.

And the first one is basically a virus that would make you fat? That would make for an interesting mechanic I’m sure.

I think I’ve seen a few pictures of them before

二口女 is essentially the curse of starving babies. But even if the original host is killed, the curse will seek for next target until someone offered food to the baby’s remains.
At the same time, curses often parasitize females who sympathize with these babies. These females tend to indulge the second mouth because of sympathy.

One idea I batted around for a while is kind of like a more humanoid version of your spider monster. They would own a motel or something along those lines and would subtly try to fatten up the player character as much as possible before trying to eat them (I’m not really into vore, but it gives the game some stakes). Not really a mob, since they would probably be the main antagonist of whatever game they’d be in (though they might have some minions/staff helping them out). There would be a snowstorm or some other plot device to stop the PC frim just noping out the moment they suspect something. Originally I planned on using this idea for a text adventure game but it might be more suited to Choose-your-own-adventure book or, if I ever git gud at art, a visual novel. I could see it running into the common problem of the player character’s goal of escaping conflicting with the fact that most players would want them to get fatter, but I think that could be solved by having the character just be greedy and having the challenge be to balance getting as much food as you can get whilst getting out alive.

A sillier idea I had was a game where you play as a famous chef or food critic and the mobs are just overly-eager younger chefs who want you to sample their food and hear your opinion. The first genre that came to mind for this was a twin-stick shooter with a bunch of nonlethal weapons like tomatoes you can throw and a rolled up news paper for melee attacks. You would have to outlast a timer on each level, take on a certain number of waves, or it could be an endless survival game where you shoot for a high score. One issue with this would be that getting fatter and slower would natural make the game harder over time, which might make it a pain to balance. The solutions I can come up with off the top of my head are to either a) just be really generous with how many hits the playercan take or b) give the player extra abilities as they gain to make up for the loss of mobility, like maybe a shockwave attack.

3 Likes

Also, I just remembered that this thread specified RPGs. Whoops :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

Ooh! Fun. I love world building and good on you for wanting to expand on the RPG scene :smiley:

What about…a plant that isn’t sentient, but has a self-destructive problem where it’s fruits grow too large to be supported properly and snap the plant in two eventually. So, instead of evolving smaller fruits, they evolved more delicious and sweet, plump clusters of attractive berries that are irresistible to anything that can eat them. The plant relies on animals to eat the fruit in order to keep growing. Maybe characters stumble across a grove of said plants and can’t stop eating! Plus, since they’re so sugary, the side effect could be extreme fullness and a bit of weight gain too.

4 Likes

Personally I think the idea of a slime creature who’s sole purpose is to be eaten is really interesting, and I think it deserves to be expanded on.

For example, what if the slime is a parasite that needs to be in a host body to reproduce like certain real life parasites. Or what if it needs to migrate to a certain area to breed like trout, but it can’t survive outside of dark, damp environments so it hijacks a host (or maybe they’re symbiotic and fatten up the host in exchange for safe passage to and from the breeding grounds).

Slime Lore could be so much deeper than “random (and delicious) blob that wants to be eaten”

6 Likes

Food golems are a classic, as is your basic animated food/table/feast.

Fairies are also a good source of ideas; I’m not familiar with many specific legends, but their basic concept has generally been ‘powerful creatures entertained by humanity’; giving them a taste for cuddle victims isn’t much of a stretch.

A.I. might not fit in your setting, but what if some sort of conjured servant had the directive to make their victims ‘comfortable’, and took it way too far?

Demons of gluttony would be a classic, but what about a demon of sloth? Or pride, for that matter? What if you had a prideful demon, who also happened to be packing a ton of extra weight. And instead of trying to work it off, they decide to dump it on the first poor fool they spot through weight transfer?

If you’re looking for magic casters, you could have an apprentice with a fetish, looking to try out a new spell. Or an experimenter, looking to try out a new invention.

Or, if you want something more complex, you could have a band of cults wandering around; either feeding the player directly, or bombarding them with more indirect effects. A curse of eternal hunger, perhaps, where a victim is more concerned with consuming their inventory, instead of fighting?

4 Likes

It’s a bit basic, but I’m still into the idea of gluttony demons corrupting people. Sloth, greed, and envy just naturally lend themselves to making people overindulge/want more in general too, but your pride demon idea is particularly creative. You’ve got me trying to fit the rest of the sins into a WG scenario now too. Like… a wrath demon influencing an already gluttonous, slothful, greedy ruler of a kingdom which then causes them to send soldiers on raids of small towns and other kingdoms for the sake of getting more wealth, power, and food to gorge themselves on… or something, I’m rambling at this point. Though, demons of the various sins corrupting people in ways that just so happen to cause them to get fat sounds like it could be the premise of a WG game in a fantasy setting, maybe.

3 Likes

I certainly agree, as slimes tend to ignore the rules of survival in weight gain scenarios and if were basic creatures would not survive long due to that fact. Giving extra reason to even the most basic creatures can help a world feel like there’s so much more, along with adding to it being more “believable”.

I’ve also tried to come up with a reason for my world, though it’s a tad different from yours. In my world, they’re concieved by a cult and fully created by the god they worship as their first and most basic creature, with the intent of disrupting the ecosystem. They exist on a heirarchy, with certain slime species being less intelligent, slower, and less worried about preservation, though able to reproduce quickly, and more advanced slimes holding the ability to think and plan, move quick, always preserve what’s needed to survive, and even have special traits that can be denoted by their color. All slimes feed off of smaller lifeforms and plants and reproduce asexually once they reach a certain size. All slimes are flammable, and aside from aquatic variants, can easily be diluted into nothing if somehow tossed into a body of water.

Either way, there’s a lot you can do with slimes to give them life, along with many other weight related beings. Though I’m not usually intrigued much by parasites, your background is also very interesting and help give the poor guys a little more life. It might also be cool if the host becomes more susceptible to hunger and weight gain while attached as well.

All of these have a lot of creative potential. This could be very helpful!

It might seem basic, but using each demon to encourage gluttony tenfold could be quite complex in a way! You are placing creatures that are in a way out of their bounds to use their powers to creatively assist another in achieving their goal, while they also get their fun out of it. The purposes of demons tend to be to corrupt and destroy people and civilizations, so I’d say you’ve got a pretty interesting idea on your hands. It could definitely make for an interesting concept involving weight gain, wherever it could go

2 Likes

Man, all this talk of breathing new life into normally “insignificant” monsters really makes me want to DM again… :weary:

Perhaps one day I’ll start a thread to get some parties going.

1 Like