Platformer WIP

Geez, I have no idea how either of you did either of those things! Guess I still have a few bugs to iron out.

Well, I did not know that. Thanks. But also, I could just remove the rest of the screenshot with paint . net.

chub1

And I do not know that you mean about groundpounded throught a wall. I just spam Jump, Groundpound and Increase Weight the whole time and it works everywhere. And I do not know why only works to teleport you from right to left and not viceversa.

chub2

1 Like

Well, I was testing and I just notice the following bugs:

Summary
  • If you are midair, groundpound and increase your size in the same frame(?) will you teleport to the left of the room. This is not speed; you just teleport. I guess the best way to do it is spamming Down and Enter. You can just use Intro too, because Intro is Enter.
  • The wall will push out the sheep if you teleport. So she will not be stuck.
  • The transition works normaly even if you teleport; it does not bug.
  • The only place you can be stuck is the one that you saw in previous posts. There is not way to get free; you must restart the game.

This bug is in v0.06. I do not know if it is in previous versions. And yes: there is a place where you can bug.chub4
By the way: you can actually escape from there.

• If you read a sign while walking and keep walking, you still moving with the text box.
  • Keeping the text box and walk into a transition, you will appear in the next room, but you cannot move. Yes; it is a softlock.
  • Besides the previous bug, if you are “reading”, you can still using groundpound or increase/decrease weight. But you cannot use left, right or jump.
  • The rarest thing: if you are reading without start moving and keep moving before, there is a way to actually move while reading. You just do the following:
  1. Keep pressing any side you want to go.
  2. While keep pressing that, decrease or increase weight to the fourth weight.
  3. And for no reason, you will start to move to the side.

This only occurs for the fourth weight. And yes: the same weight that has the extra animation.chub7
If you ask, yes, this works even if you are softlocked. Meaning that this is the only way to move while softlocking. If you pass to another room while softlocking, it does not fix that, you will still softlocked. And if you try to read a sign while softlocking, it does not work; the other sign will not fix it. Yes, I do not know how I did that but I did it and confirm that. And for last: if you died while “reading”, you just die… the text box will still there and you can just close it.

I said that you can still groundpound while “reading”, because it is true. You can active a sign mid-air and if you groundpound, you can still bouncing. And because that and the fact you can also increase/decrease weight, you can teleport while reading!chub3
And that is all for v0.07.

I hid it in Hide Details just for not fill the whole screen just entering to this topic.

1 Like

Which one of the weights has an extended idle animation? Because if I do find one, then I wish to see possible idle animations on all weight stages.

Yo, this is super helpful. Most of the ones involved with changing weights aren’t going to a problem since I don’t plan on letting people change the weight whenever they want though.

1 Like

It’s the fourth one. Extra idle animations aren’t going to be a priority until I get some actual levels/enemies into the game though. That one is in there mostly to test that extended idles were possible.

Definitely, for now, better you should not add recovery animations. The most of bugs occurs when you try to do 2 or more things at the same time.

Yes, recovery animations can fix it, but not fix it yet in alpha phase helps a lot to understand the game’s engine. Or well, I guess so.

Welp, after being away for a while, getting dissatisfied with where the game was going, and playing a bunch of spelunky, I’ve done a major re-work to the game.
At this point I’m going for a “loot the temple” theme. I only have a few traps programmed in so far, but I already like the art direction way more than what I had before. Other than those changes I did a couple tweaks to how weight affects your momentum.
The next couple of things on my to do list are adding saws, crumbling platforms, and another area or two. Right now my plans are for seven total areas (not including the hub) so I can keep the game at a manageable scale. I’m open for suggestions about potential hazards or area ideas, with the only exception being anything with moving platforms. Unfortunately I put myself in a box regarding how player movement works that doesn’t play nice with those.

[Link to download]

3 Likes

Instead of moving platforms, why not teleporting platforms?

1 Like

or platforms that are like yoku blocks in Mega Man

Played around a bit with the higher weight levels. Dunno if it was in the previous versions, but I liked that if I just tapped for ground pound, it would bounce me back a teeny bit higher than a standard, lowest-weight jump, even if I was at the top weight. So yeah, one of my suggestions is maybe utilizing that mechanic in area design and make it so we need to fluctuate our weight to go past certain obstacles. E.g. we need a normal jump here to make it past this spike pit, but we need a “bounce” jump to climb up this platform. That would be one fun way to use the lard that we get.

As for traps… maybe there could be statues or blocks that breathe fire? Ah, but to distinguish their function from normal arrows, there could also be oil patches around that’ll slowly ignite from said fire traps, so we’ll need to be quick when going over them, or else the fire will catch us. That’s what I got at the moment…

How do you open the file to play this game? I keep trying to open it in various browsers but the game just keeps re-downloading itself even with flash installed and running.

I just use it with Internet Explorer. Seems to run completely fine.

Yeah using it with Internet Explorer works. Thanks.

Ooooh, I quite like this new version. The art direction is definitely way better than with the old version. Something I would like to see done here with this new game though is having the player character’s weight play a bigger (no pun intended) role in potential puzzle-solving. Perhaps there’s a switch somewhere that you can’t press down normally and need to have put on some weight in order to push, or weakened floors that give way at a certain heaviness (possibly only if landed on.) Of course, you’d likely have to implement ways for the player character to gain and lose weight in ways other than a simple push of a button in order to balance the weight-based puzzles with the platforming.

EDIT: Now that I think about it you could modify crumbling floors to have different strengths. Versions that are only stable below a certain weight or unstable no matter your weight, possibly color-coded or using different textures to show how much that platform can withstand before breaking.

EDIT 2: Replaying your first game, Cookie Disposal, gave me an idea for another weight-based mechanic: Hazards that can fall from the ceiling if the player character is both a certain weight and lands after jumping within the hazard’s vicinity.

I feel like these mechanics could aide in balancing each room to be possible at each weight level without making the character’s weight and size seem relatively insubstantial like it was in Cookie Disposal. Weight-dependent collapsible floors and weight switches could both be used to open up alternate paths that would be more friendly in terms of platforming to the player character as she gets heavier, while they also have uses as traps, and the additional ceiling hazard could also add a certain depth to the game.

3 Likes

Might be a bit late to comment this but I really dig the temple redesign. Hope the game’s not officially dead, I think it has a lot of potential.

This particular iteration of it is unfortunately dead due to frustrations with stencyl. I still have all the assets though, so those could one day be used in a rework withe gamemaker.

1 Like