Pokemon Red XL - Pokemon Red but all the Pokemon are Fat

A while ago, I made this Pokemon Red ROM hack in which I changed all the Pokemon sprites to be, you guessed it, fat. I primarily made this because there really wasn’t a (good) romhack for this sort of thing, and also there was never an attempt made for the original Red, which I prefer to FireRed.

This hack changes:

  • All (front) Pokemon Sprites
  • The Super Gameboy Border
  • The overworld/party menu Pokemon sprites
  • The weights in the Pokedex
  • Some dialogue
  • Some encounter rates so you can get version exclusive Pokemon

This hack doesn’t change (yet):

  • The back sprites for any Pokemon
  • The intro with Nidorino and Gengar
  • Doesn’t add any way to get the other Hitmon- or fossil Pokemon

Here’s the download link:

Please note: In order to play the hack, you need an unmodified copy of the original Pokemon Red for the original Gameboy. This will not work with FireRed, and probably won’t work with Blue either. You also need something to patch the rom with, but thankfully there are plenty of websites that allow you to do so without needing to download anything.

Finally, here are some screenshots:

Screenshots
6 Likes

These are some great sprites! Full of character in more ways than one.

These seem super-charming! Good work! Do you intend to do the back sprites too, or is the project more or less completed?

i plan to do the back sprites soon

3 Likes

Looking forward to that then. Also I just noticed you also edited the SGB hud (did not expand the screenshots, just looked for myself) and that’s a really nice touch too!

1 Like

Low key super interested, and I’ve been pining for OG Pokémon for a long while.