[POLL]Does story affects your approach to a fetish game?

What is your criteria for fetish games and where is the story among these criteria.

Story…
  • is a criteria for choosing a game.
  • is NOT a criteria for choosing a game.

0 voters

If you had the chance, which two would you like to be the top tier?
  • Visuals
  • Story
  • Gameplay

0 voters

I honestly think any of these three can carry a game. Good visuals can incentivize the player, fun gameplay can make it a rewarding experience and an interesting story gets people involved.

I do wish we had illustrated RPGs though.

10 Likes

Honestly, I think the answer heavily depends on what you’re aimming for and what engine you’re using.

1 Like

The biggest thing that turns me away from a game, is when I see the same stock 3D images I see everywhere.

7 Likes

I generally appreciate when a game has at least a rudimentary story behind it, just because it makes the game feel meatier (:stuck_out_tongue:) and gives me more time to appreciate the progress that I’m making. Note that I’m not necessarily talking about anything fancy - depending on the genre of the game, this can be as simple as a brief check-in where you get to observe the consequences of your actions.

Visuals, on the other hand, are the one thing I can live without - while good visuals certainly can enhance a game, and bad ones can make it much more unpleasant, no visuals is typically a pretty neutral space where I just switch to evaluating the game based on its other qualities. Of course, this does depend on the genre - a platformer, for example, relies a lot more on having visuals than an adventure game. But if we’re talking about, say, a visual novel, I would dramatically prefer an adequately worded description of a scene to a generically produced CG mockup.

3 Likes

I think this is entirely accurate. I love a good text adventure game with no visuals, but it has to have a good story and gameplay to it. If you have fun gameplay and visuals, the story can be pretty rudimentary and still get some enjoyment out of it. And if you have a good story and visuals, the gameplay can be virtually non-existant in places and not be an issue.

1 Like

I agree all of them are important singlehandedly and at the same time all of them must be good for a good game. But we are talking about fetish games so I just wanted to see what people really care. And to be honest I am surprised that the story got this much attention which made me happy.

2 Likes

Im using Godot for a small rpg game but nothing serious for now.

i think interesting game mechanics arent really fit for most fetish games, they either draw attention away from the fetish content or fall flat and become grueling. SB isn’t focused on the gameplay at all and it’s still one of the best games thanks to clinko’s excellent art and nerds’ excellent writing. honestly the farthest you should go with gameplay is making it tolerable, most of the really good ones are basic RPG maker games or visual novels that dont even have gameplay. i do think story does play a really big part in the game though, having things happen is a great way to learn more about the characters in the story and also to crack jokes about how absurd the circumstances have to get in order to lead into fetish material. also, games with no art reeeeaaallly have to have incredible writing in order for me to like them, and visuals are also a really good hook.

2 Likes

I am very much not a story person when it comes to games. on the top of my head I can only think of 2 games (shadow of the colossus and psychonauts) where I found the story added more to the game than it detracted. to me what a story should do is just tell the player what to do and maybe why (+ jokes if you are making a comedy). part of it is probably because I am dyslectic so reading is more of a chore. but even when it is voice acted I still don’t care, I just don’t have to spend effort to get through it which is nice.

if you want to make a game but the game part is not top (or very near the top) priority then I have to ask why even make a game at all? whatever it is would probably be better as something else like a comic, book or some type of interactive fiction, if you ask me. I feel like the reason why something is a game a lot of the time is just “marketing” reasons. like AAA “movie games” would be better if they were just a tv series or something like that and a lot of rpg maker games would be better as a visual novel (or a point and click adventure), if you ask me.

I just wanna push buttons and if I also get to see some fats that is a great bonus. if the game part can’t motivate me to play then I will lose interest pretty quickly

2 Likes

First, giving something a priority doesnt means the other things will be thrash. Like I said all of them have to be at a decent level of quality for a good game. Second; I didnt say I’m making this game just because I wanted to tell a story. And if i wanted to, I would still make a game.

2 Likes

I was talking more generally rather than to you specifically. since I am of the minority opinion I wanted to share my thought process

edit: though I think you can easily have no story (or basically no story) and still have a good game. like the story in super mario bros 3 is more or less go to this place and get the thing back. still good though

Story, characters, lore, etc. These are more important than gameplay to me. I can take a lackluster game if it has charming characters and lore, but an “amazing” game is ruined for me by human-sue protags, overused cliches, and a lore that ammounts to little more than “humans=good/everythingelse=bad.”

1 Like

Let me preface this by making it clear that I have a slightly different idea of what “gameplay” entails than what was used for in this thread, but either way, I do think gameplay should be a focus if you’re making a fetish game. No matter what you decide to put into it, it’s still a game after all. If I simply wanted the fetish part I’d go look for images to look at or stories to read.

That said, I don’t think gameplay is limited to just tests of skill/reflexes/micromanagement/strategical-tactical thinking, as I’ve played and enjoyed my fair share of visual novels, even though that’s not my preferred genre of game. You can still pose a challenge for the player by requiring them to properly assess and analyse characters and situations, which would then influence their choicemaking and direct them to the right decisions. You can also include interactivity by requiring them to explore different paths and gather up information before shooting for the “true ending” branch of the story, just to give an example. With this point of view it’s impossible to make a game with “little to no gameplay” as that would just be… not a game, and there’s no getting around that.

Changing topics a little bit now, reading back on this thread there’s a trend I’ve noticed and I think is worth pointing out. In both sides (people who prefer traditional gameplay over story and vice versa) there’s people who don’t mind if a game has little to none of either, but always make sure to point out not being able to enjoy a game if the mechanics included are frustrating and boring/the story is written poorly.

As such, I’ll make a conjecture and say that it’s not the absence/prevalence of an element that makes a game bad, but rather its quality. You can still enjoy messing around with a sandbox even though there’s no explanation for what you’re doing, and you can still enjoy a good visual novel even though all you’re doing is reading text and clicking buttons every once in a while (and past that it’s a matter of personal tastes really), but if a game draws focus to one of its aspects and it does a poor job at designing those it’s suddenly much more of a negative than it would be if you hadn’t bothered at all, since now it’s impossible to ignore and playing the game also means having to get through its flaws in the process.

Simply put, when you’re cooking something, you can use whatever ingredients you please, as long as the food doesn’t end up tasting bad.

5 Likes