(Poll) Favorite Setting for WG Games?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a poll about this specific topic before, so I was just curious what people here prefer the setting to be in their WG games. Obviously there are the most common three settings that the vast majority of games are going to take place in (modern, fantasy, and sci-fi), but I think it would also be interesting to hear about any other unique settings people have seen before, or perhaps that they would like to see more of. I’ll be leaving my own thoughts in the replies (so as to not add any bias to the original post), and I encourage others to do the same.

If any devs are indecisive about what kind of setting they want to use in their next game, then feel free to use the results of this poll to help decide.

• Modern
  • Fantasy
  • Sci-Fi
  • Other (Reply if you would like to elaborate)

0 voters

7 Likes

My favourite setting for WG Games is a norse mythology/viking setting :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Personally, my favorite setting for weight gain games is science fiction. I believe it allows for a massive amount of freedom and creativity in all aspects of the game, especially for the actual weight gain. I also am generally fascinated by science fiction and all the things that come with it, like spaceships and laser guns.

A very common thing I’ve seen is games that are set in modern times, taking on more of a “life sim” type of thing. I definitely understand why people enjoy those types of games, but I personally find them to be a little plain.

I think that if I had to come up with a setting outside of the most common ones, I’d probably go with something like the Wild West or some kind of stereotypical Japanese setting.

1 Like

I personally like all “historical” settings. one of my personal favorite times is the age of discovery but something I would like to see more of (just in general) is the bronze age.

when it comes to magic I personally like it when it is not super powerful and very established what it can do. the exception is when it comes to magical items, those I feel like they can be pretty powerful and “random” in what they can do.

4 Likes
  1. Modern
  2. Historic
  3. Sci Fi
  4. Fantasy (still good but a little bit exhausted creatively)

Really any.

As long as bellies boobs and butts keep getting bigger… LOL

4 Likes

Fantasy is the superior one. A fantasy is a fantasy, cos you can realize any of your fantasies and explain this just with a magic without any excessive loads.
It’s not only about a mediaeval fantasy. It can be a space fantasy like Star Wars or Saint Seiya. It can be a modern fantasy like Harry Potter or Percy Jackson or Sabrine the little witch or Gravity Falls. It can be even more prehistorical like Greek or Egyptian myths.

3 Likes

Those aren’t really a good way to think about settings, since sci-fi, ‘modern’ and ‘historic’ are all temporal, whereas fantasy can exist in any time or space. Star Wars is knightly hero fantasy in space.

3 Likes

I’ll be honest, it has to be other for me. I do greatly enjoy fantasy settings, with all the traits that come with it, such as tithes, dungeons, and nobility. But I do agree with @moon_shaped_pool , fantasy can be overdone, and magic doesn’t do it for me often. I find modern to be my 2nd favorite, due to the large amount of scenarios, archetypes, and technology. And if I’m going to have sci-fi, I generally prefer it to be 50-120 years after the modern era, far future scenarios with huge galactic empires just don’t appeal to me, it feels like fantasy with a different coat of paint. (You’ve seen one crazy planet you’ve seen them all…)

“Now Shift.dud?”, you may be wondering, “you haven’t even said what your choice for (other) is! I can’t waste my time reading all of this!”

My favorite setting for weight gain games is: Post-Apocalyptic!

Post-apocalyptic settings carry many things that I look for, I personally enjoy stories where the slate is wiped clean, and that there are new opportunities for people to explore. I really enjoy the horror aspects of these scenarios, along with the combat, and character stories. I feel that there is a lot of unexplored opportunity in post-apocalyptic settings, and I don’t shy away from the dark aspects. I get why others wouldn’t like it, but I see potential! It doesn’t matter to me what the cause of the apocalypse was, be it aliens, nanotech, the undead, psychic horrors, eldritch horrors, food horrors, or etc. The only things I’m picky about is that it doesn’t copy Mad-Max, isn’t too strange, and doesn’t have gratuitous darkness. In the end, I think settings with halfway civilizations like fallout or Metro really does it for me.

Honorable mentions: Westerns, horror, and kitchen-sink settings! (also furries!)

4 Likes

To me it’s not really about the setting. I’ve seen both good and bad in all categories and I must say, it’s about making the trope interesting. Games can live off of different aspects, sometimes a simple flash game can be exciting even with very little mechanics or introduction to a setting. They can convince by art or story. Sometimes though, a big game with nice setting can still fail to interest because something is off or doesn’t work particularly well.

Some examples would be:
SomeBullshit as an example of great art and storytelling in a fantasy/medieval setting
GodComplex (is a vore game, not much wg) showed me that even when storytelling, art, setting and gameplay are up there, something small can become so irritating that the game is no longer attractive to me. Setting is also fantasy/medieval
ValeCity has a modern setting and among wg-games a really good gameplay. It’s a good game in my opinion, but not so good of a fetish material as it doesn’t have the right pacing. Weight there is too shortlived and too easy to acquire in my eyes.
The few scifi setting games I’ve encaountered yet were nowhere near to the grand scale of the afformentioned games but didn’t disappoint either. Nice little games that neither were particularly good or bad

So I’d say it’s not about the setting but what you make of the setting you choose for your game.

1 Like

Well, that’s the thing that bugged me with the question. There’s so many things to what a ‘setting’ is than those kind of broad labels listed. all of these traits are valid for all of the categories given.

You can have tithes in a sci-fi world where resource scarcity has led to factions with more water or mineral wealth can dominate others. You can have dungeons in the present day, where a civil war leads an army to turn an old building into a makeshift hold for prisoners of war. Monarchies are found in all sorts of literature, albeit with different aesthetics.

All that defines science fiction and fantasy is how concepts foreign to reality as we know it are explained. Are they hand-waived or fickle, operating on principles without clear and comprehensive understanding? That’s Fantasy. Do they follow an intricate set of consistent rules that are predictable once known and can be understood with sufficient analysis? ‘Science’.

Settings don’t have to conform to any of these labels. You could have a medieval republic that has steam engines but uses them to build pyramids and help their oracle predict future events. If you wanted to, of course.

Even concepts like ‘post-apocalypse’ depend on other factors. What kind of society was there beforehand? Historians could argue that the events of the bronze-age collapse would make for a great post-apocalyptic story. a lot of what is being discussed with is really just the worldbuilding tropes that once combined together and adjusted to fit, constitute a setting.

I would probably say Fantasy, followed by Modern, then Sci-fi. Sci-fi just never really appealed to me as a setting for a wg game, though some are very well done.

Yeah, I get you, looking at these settings in a vacuum and just calling them “fantasy” or “Sci-fi” doesn’t do them justice for the large amount of possibilities they could have. If I addressed all the little details in my post, I could have easily made a 5+ paragraph post, but I really just wanted to do something quick and dirty

Also voted on fantasy, as >50% of others, but that’s such a broad term, that I’ve decided to comment anyway.
Why magic is absolutely amazing, I greatly appreciate realism in character behavior in good dark fantasy stories. This makes the world believable, but significantly decreases the fetish content. I guess, there’s always a trade off.
But yeah: realistic characters > fantasy world > others.

1 Like

I like a good modern setting, since Slice of Life is usually quite a chill and comedic genre. Despite my enjoyment of it, SoL can get very stale nowadays even if it is a good entry point for beginner writers.

I’m gonna throw in my pitch for a WG story setting (which is still classed as modern) that I personally have not seen: Phoenix Wright

If any of you have played or seen at least one game then it should make sense on paper, but for anyone who doesn’t know, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is a crime-oriented visual novel on the DS (very important) where you talk to suspects, find evidence and prove your client isn’t guilty. These are somehow always related to murder.

I feel like something can be done with this type of thing. Maybe “being a lawyer” isn’t a big factor in this whole setting and is more like a sub-category for a Modern story setting. Maybe as a game mechanic, you need to balance eating with seeking out suspects? I’m just spitballing here, so do what you will with the idea and pleeeaaase let me know if there are any games like this. I would love to check 'em out.

P.S I voted for “Other”

1 Like

I’ve answered ‘other’ simply because I feel that the setting is secondary to the game itself. If you have a good game, it doesn’t particularly matter what the setting is.

Small aside:- when I was first contemplating writing a game, I was initially leaning towards a fantasy type setting for a horror/RPG type game. I changed my mind partly because I felt the concept of the Weighting Game gave more scope for a decent story and partly because the modern day assets I would need tended to be cheaper, more plentiful and easier to use :wink:

3 Likes

For me I do prefer modern, but with magic/sci-fi elements added in so that there’s an extra bit of fun and reason as to how the gaining happens. (Such as genies, spellbooks or science experiments) but still within the realms of possibilities (at least in sci-fi’s regards)