Pro Skater XXL [release!] by CaptainElderly

Actually, that’s something I hadn’t considered until you brought it up: How do we best judge a game that works better with a controller? Do all of the Judges even have controllers? Should that factor into the final scores? Also, It feels as if we may have asked this exact question before.

1 Like

the game is just as playable with a keyboard though. please check the ingame controls screen while playing keyboard

2 Likes

I know, it’s just the case that the two play differently enough that I don’t know if it can be reviewed fairly with with just one or the other.

1 Like

i don’t see how the difference is meaningful enough that it would affect judging. you’re using the same hands with the same relative layout to do almost everything

1 Like

It’s mostly a question posed towards the judges, but if you think there’s parity in both control schemes then I suppose that’s fair enough.

1 Like

Love the game, definitely gets that tony hawk ps1 vibe down. I really only have one complaint that’s not bug/exploit/keyboard related, in that the camera is just way too close, it gets hard to tell where you’re going, especially when you turn around after hitting a wall.

Definitely a game for controllers though, having to move your hand between the mouse and keyboard to look around is ass. Super fun with a controller though, I played the hell out of it once I started using one.

As for bugs/exploits...

Exploits:

• getting off your skateboard mid-air finishes your trick, making it super easy to rack up points without having to worry about landing

• since you can just manual infinitely you can start off with that for a few seconds and then do a couple tricks off of one jump for combo to get about 15,000 points very easily

Bugs:

• getting off your skateboard while crashing will make you crash instantly when you get back on your skateboard, allowing for the path of broken boards

• walking into a wall causes so many collision sounds the music resets

• walking into a wall near the edge of a ramp does this:

you can also do this by getting off your skateboard while falling onto the top of a fence after ramping vertically off of something

• getting on your skateboard when you’re like this enters you into sideways mode where you skate around while perpendicular to the floor, but jumping gets you out

• you can chill on the sidewalk outside the park on this side

• doing a manual and getting off your skateboard gives you a x0 score that keeps increasing, which only stops by doing another trick or crashing

• not a bug per se, but jumping and hitting walls while walking around and skating make the same noises, which is just funny

None of the bugs really dampened my enjoyment though, most of them only happened from me fucking around and intentionally trying to break things, as well as really not involving actually being on the skateboard. Though they did let me get a very high scoring single ollie…

3 Likes

Adorable characters.
:white_circle:
:skateboard:

2 Likes

The viiiiiibes this game has. Holy cow them vibes. That little guitar riff that plays throughout this casual competition feels so good. It nails those PS1 feelings so good (especially with Crashum loading) and works well for what it is. The difficulty feels just right and everything just works for a simple concept. I found that it was very difficult to do any sort of jumps of non-halfpipe ramps as you very very quickly sink in the middle of the air - even at starting weight.

But overall, just a good feeling game. The kind of game you kick back to after a long day. Great work.

2 Likes

Honestly I think this deserves an award just for the loading screen, I’ll be dissapointed whenever I see a loading screen that isn’t this one from now on.

3 Likes

thanks! i was inspired by the crash bash loading screen haha

2 Likes

hey thank you! i regret not being able to get the physics working super nice by the end of the jam, had to give a bunch of focus to elements i straight up hadn’t implemented yet by the last few hours.

2 Likes

this is my favorite game in this jam, can’t really go wrong with a tony hawk clone.

the biggest problem to me was how easy it was to cheese the scoring. it does have the same cheese strat from tony hawk where you just do some tricks and then just jump->manual->repeat until you have like x50. but it is more pronounced here because manuals (and grinds) doesn’t have any type of “skill check” making it even more free. since you can also accelerate while doing manuals you can even keep doing tricks if you wanted to. there is also no “trick stalling” (doing the same trick in the same combo makes it give less points) so you get more points faster.

some more minor things

• there is to little momentum for my taste. I would have preferred if it takes longer to get to max speed and keeping it was harder
  • you can’t jump off grinds at an angle like in tony hawk and some you can’t jump off at all
  • you can only jump straight up in half-pipes and similar. in tony hawk you could hold forward to jump out at an forwards angle instead of just straight up and down. right now if you are in the bowl and want to get out you have to drop your combo by going into walk mode while jumping (unless I am missing something)
  • some way to make a smaller jump would be nice (like how it works in walk mode for example). it would help with getting on low rails for grinds and just generally giving more control to the player
  • the camera is really close. it would also be nice to have an option for it to be behind you (and the other side)
  • for some reason I really miss the wall-jump and wall-ride moves from tony hawk, not sure why since I don’t remember using it that much in those games

that being said this is still really good. I even got that nice feeling where you have to go everywhere and explore everything just to do so (not sure exactly how to describe it). haven’t gotten that in quite some time. the game is very worthy of the stunt sound I posted earlier :​P

something I would like to see, if you work on this further, is incorporating the sponsorship more into the scoring system (instead of just a flat +x points). like the optimal way to play (for score) would be something where you try to get as many of them in the same “line” as possible. the first thing that came to mind was that they would give your score a multiplier (instead of each trick in the same combo). I always thought getting all the s-k-a-t-e letters in one run was the most fun in tony hawk and rewarding that would be nice. the s-n-a-c-k letters could also work in a similar way

are all the character stats implemented, or are some just placeholders? I only really noticed a difference in jump height. I did a speed test and Mac and Erica seemed to be just as fast as each other

are there any other differences from more weight other than jump height being lower, and are there any differences that weren’t implemented that you would have wanted to?
it would be nice to have some (fake) inertia where you accelerate slower, deceleration slower and have a higher top speed.

also just gonna put my "story headcannon" here

Mac is the biggest sellout accepting all the fast food sponsorships. Mac gets confronted about being a sellout and probably a trash skater and have to do a skate-off against Erica to regain street cred (and not lose sponsorships)

3 Likes

Thank you for the input! Many of the issues you mention boil down to running out of time. I do plan to have many of these features for the next version

If you want to know a bit about the characters:

Mac is actually new to skating at a professional level! She spends a lot of time outside, skating pretty much anywhere she goes. She just happens to love food and takes after her mom, who is enormous. Erica’s actually the sellout. She’s not a bad person or anything, just a bit too easily won over by shiny things. It’s not often a fast food place sponsors these things, and they’re both quite skilled skaters.
A big choice you have to make in the game is whether or not to cave to the temptation to use those sponsorships, as they reduce your ability to skate well

2 Likes

Hey! I decided to share some clips of the additions i’ve been working on for the game since its release!
I’m actually looking forward to making this more full-featured.

11 Likes

First Round Scores

Jux Score

Category Total
Game Runs: 50.0
Use of Theme: 50.0
Art: 9.2
Writing: 5.1
Music & Sound: 8.2
Mechanics: 8.0
Game Concept 7.1
Use of Fetish 7.6
Judge Preference: 5.9
Wild Cards Attempted: 0.0
Admin Wild Card: 0.0
Patreon Wild Card: 0.0
Community Wild Card: 0.0
Total: 151.1

Alex Score

Category Total
Art: 10.0
Writing: 5.0
Music & Sound: 9.0
Mechanics: 10.0
Game Concept 7.5
Use of Fetish 7.0
Judge Preference: 5.0
Total: 153.5

Roops Score

Category Total
Art: 8.0
Writing: 5.0
Music & Sound: 8.0
Mechanics: 7.0
Game Concept 7.0
Use of Fetish 7.0
Judge Preference: 8.0
Total: 150.0

Final Score: 454.6

1 Like

I can’t seem to open the game. I open it tells me my drivers are out of date and then it opens but the start button is off the screen and I can’t interact with the window

2 Likes

Maybe your drivers are out of date?

3 Likes

Can’t figure out how to grind on rails. Got it to work once, but couldn’t pull it off again. Is there a specific way to do it?

1 Like

Up arrow key or Y on the gamepad

1 Like