Project Bob (Ravenous' Uncle)

A few other thoughts: I don’t think it’s appropriate for us to know the exact weights of any NPCs unless they tell us (and then we’d just know what they said until it gets updated, just like our own weight). All descriptions should be relative to our own, eg that they’re taller/shorter and smaller/larger than ‘us’.

It would also be a really nice touch to have some sign in the potential party guest list as to what we believe their opinion is regarding our character and her weight (so that if we happen to lose weight and be back below their previous known threshold point they’ll show as encouragers again). Just a simple +/- indicator would do, to help manage who we should be inviting over to our house if we want gaining encouragement. (And maybe (an) additional icon(s) of some sort to denote feeder/feedee status, based on observations - that is, if they’ve aggressively given us food or accepted food from others.)

Also, could you replace the word ‘ugly’ in the body critique prompt with ‘too thin’? Ugly as a word is just too harsh and ignores the possibility that the subject may indeed be attractive but just isn’t what you’re looking for.

6 Likes

I’m very intrigued about this 2.0 update, one thing I hope to see is more improvement on the “friend” system. There should be ways on how to regulate your friends, with whom you want to be or not. Simple things such as “You see your friend [name], do you go talk to them?” or adding options to ask them to stop constantly telling me to lose/gain weight (primarily lose). The friend system overall adds to the flavor of the game, but definitely could use some improvement to make them less of a hassle.

Another thing I would love to see is some intimate relationships, being able to make such with people who like/dislike chubby people and would overall have more effect on how the MC sees her ideal body and maybe some other “stuff” if it wouldn’t be too much of a bother :wink: .

5 Likes
How do you acquire first job?
  • The player starts with a job(not chosen by player) like in 1.4
  • The player starts with a job(chosen by player at setup)
  • The player has to explore and find a job after game start

0 voters

How do you acquire fist home?
  • The player starts with a home(not chosen by player)
  • The player starts with a home(chosen by player at setup)
  • The player has to explore and find a home after game start

0 voters

1 Like

I think being able to choose from a set of difficulty from easy, medium, hard where there are presets for what house you have and how much money you have and maybe some other variables.

3 Likes

Interesting the polls earlier were in favor of exploring and picking after setup, now have shifted to acquiring at game setup.

I’m not sure one would be harder than the other. Mainly because you will ultimately have the same choices regardless. I guess the key differences is you have to use actions to explore and find a job and housing on day one. Where, at startup the main down side would be, that you have your options limited by randomness and my programming to not let you see everything at once(theoretically in the other option you could explore all the different places and find everything, sacrificing time in days and all those actions to find things).

What will make the biggest change in difficulty is honestly starting money, which will dictate how nice of a home you can afford, in either case.

Just thought i’d pop in and share a status update. Currently working on making the ai pick smarter choices. The main problem being haven gotten rid of the home options by making them actions, such that you can do different home options all in the same day, This has expanded the action list to 14 items. Why is this significant you ask. Well remembering back to math class on combinations and permutations, there is 7,529,536 possible ways to select your actions for the 6 day periods. That’s not even getting into the fact that each day period action now has a possibility of happening by your choice in any of the 6 new districts. Long story short, trying my attempt at brute force ended with an additional 6gb of memory usage along with long processing times, so now i’m attempting to find smarter ways of picking the best possible combination out of the 7,529,536. Its also important that this system is able to handle the additional actions added to the game in the future. For instance going from 14 actions to 15 changes the possible combinations to 11,390,625. Anyhow trying to bring you an unprecedented level of choice of how your game plays.

9 Likes

So you’re designing a stripped-down version of The Sims: Weight Gain Fantasy Edition? = P

1 Like

Lol, i have never played a Sims game, so i really would not know. However by the time this game is done(if i ever finish it), i doubt it will be stripped down.

1 Like

Ok so i mentioned that theres districts that house different industries, and contain different buildings to house jobs. What’s you guys thoughts on certain buildings only being open during certain hours(periods)?

Should buildings only be open during certain hours?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Other(please make a post explaining)

0 voters

4 Likes
How large are you ok with save files being?
  • 1gb
  • 500mb
  • 200mb
  • 100mb
  • 50mb
  • 25mb
  • 10mb
  • 5mb
  • 1mb
  • 500kb

0 voters

is there a guide or tutorial because i am lost

1 Like

Unfortunately, no. The best i can offer is reading this forum thread. At this time due to the game being in a alpha stage of development, the base mechanics are developing and changing quite rapidly, meaning i’d be re-writing the tutorial for every version, which is time consuming, I’d rather spend more time developing than writing tutorials for each version.

4 Likes

I already had plans for user defined events to be something that could be added to the game. However, since i have made the game world completely modular and procedurally generated, I am trying to make it such that some one could completely mod the game, from adding jobs, buildings, industries, and locations; to changing distributions of the jobs, buildings, and industries in those locations. I’m currently trying to figure out how to make a actions mod-able. The base/current ones are pretty hard coded in with some more complex functions. However, whenever I get around to completely exposing everything the engine uses to make the world, what this means is someone could completely make an entire new city with new jobs, and housing, in addition to the base ones, effectively creating an entire new scenario to play in, that was not designed by me. That reminds me I should allow for npc generation customization as well.

4 Likes

Don’t feature creep too hard right away, man! Build a solid foundation, let us break play with it, and then add more fancy features = P

3 Likes

thanks for suggesting man really good game!

1 Like

Its not feature creep so much as 2.0 is an entire redesign of the engine to allow for the addition of the npcs. While the game will play from the player perspective very similarly to the alpha v1 series, the engine goes about this completely differently. Part of building the engine is building for future expansion, otherwise i will just be rebuilding the engine again so i can add more things. Part of why so many things are changing at once is i don’t want to constantly be going back to reprogram the ai to bring in a lot of the features i have planed anyway. Also a lot of these ideas i have had for quite a while, i just haven’t shared or revealed them to you guys.

Even if i did not make the npcs fully autonomous some form of redesign would have been necessary at some point. The alpha v1 engine was built with no expansion in mind or modularity unfortunately, because i had just leaned python and i was more focused on making a working proof of concept. It was akin to prototype to see if using renpy and the shared control with an ai gave what i was looking for. Also, I was still learning how to apply some of pythons more advanced concepts and features.

To be honest a lot of this probably could have been avoided with better planning and programming/game project development best practices, that i honesty don’t know because i am a hobby coder, who taught themselves.

5 Likes

Hmm. And to be perfectly fair, I’ve never done anything nearly as ambitious as a game, and it’s been a long while since I did any coding more complicated than editing a few game files here and there (specifically, for the games Elemental: Fallen Enchantress and 7 Days to Die, to change some of the mechanics a little), which I think were in XML. I’ve never even looked at Python before.

Just don’t want to see you mire yourself in backend stuff and lose interest before producing anything playable that we, the playerbase, can get excited about and reinfect you with enthusiasm for the project = P I know I’ve done that with writing more than once.

1 Like

So todays topic is for loops and the fact that 78 of them are needed to generate all the jobs and job buildings. Can you be dizzy from tracking where and what your trying to iterate through, because I think I am? Also need to give a shoutout to @Tron and @e123b who have provided the inspiration, via Forks code for how this code works. Using a for loop in a condition statement in python, is not something I knew about or would have thought to try, till seeing it in the Forks code.

4 Likes

I think I didn’t understand the game, how can I make the days go by?

1 Like

Use the start day to initiate the start of a day. It should be noted that you have to have a valid day plan, transportation, and clothing worn, for it to actually start the day and not send you back to fix your choices.