Queen Goblin Rules the Feast

As always, royal themes get me better than anything else. Wonderful addition to the Gain Jam, Clam! If you’re able and willing, I’m sure more people than I would absolutely an adore an expansion to this game (more characters, more weight stages, more things to do and more options, perhaps?). Definitely was missing something like this in the roster 'till now.

1 Like

Lovely little game, the dialogue is the greatest strength, it’s both cute and hillarious! Mechanically it is sound and works really well, I did feel as though it was perhaps just a tad shallow. The resource management seemed almost exclusively to focus on food, I never really came close to running out of anything else. (Perhaps I just got lucky with my events though!) Even so, it was fun and well made!

Best of luck to you!

Hey does the Dragon have more than 2 sprites, and if so does anyone have screenshots? I’m having a bit of trouble with her because bad rng

I think she only has two: her generic thin one, and her bloated binge one.

And by trouble, do you mean trouble dealing with her, or unlocking additional stages? If you’ve already got her to stage 2, then I’m afraid that’s all there is for the time being.

Ah, alright. By trouble I meant just getting her to stay, she wouldn’t show up after I got too far into it

Ah, kk. Hidden by spoiler below:

What you need to do is tell her “No Freeloaders” when she asks for some food. She’ll get angry and leave, and start causing trouble in the village. Eventually, the dragon will come to oust you from your throne room, though by that point you should be too fat to leave, even if you wanted to. Either invite her to the feast or challenge her to an eating contest. Either way, she can’t keep up, then you can choose to either exile her or allow her to stay.

Out of curiosity, how many endings are there to unlock? So far, I’ve gotten two.

honestly some random events sounds like a good idea (ones that are passive good or negative) for example X2 food reseaved but -1 happinies every 3 events

Found out you actually can lose the game if you try. So thats another ending! Also the wizard sometimes keeps his promise about turning you into a pumpkin (or at least pumpkin shaped). He shows up and adds about 15 lbs to you and runs away if you keep telling him he cant use magic.

There are at least 3.

There are four endings.

eat enough food
eat enough food + collect dragon
feast ends
feast ends + collect dragon

I’ve seen people say the game is easy but my win rate is only about 50%. I am bad at video games but I think also events are too random to have a predicable flow. If this game is ever expanded on I’d want to random choose between categories of events rather than all events in the game.

1 Like

To be honest, outside of a soft lock or two, I haven’t lost yet.

If you tell the merchant to bring you snacks, and keep choosing the “Give Food” option when dealing with Puck, the game is basically impossible to lose. Even if you were at risk of running out of food, the villagers’ good will sees a whole heaping pile more come in to avoid a game over.

First Round Scores

Jux Score

Category Total
Game Runs: 500
Use of Theme: 500
Art: 84
Writing: 67
Music & Sound: 62
Mechanics: 56
Game Concept 80
Use of Fetish 79
Judge Preference: 78
Total: 1506

Grimimic Score

Category Total
Art: 89
Writing: 99
Music & Sound: 93
Mechanics: 83
Game Concept 95
Use of Fetish 98
Judge Preference: 100
Total: 1657

Squirrel Score

Category Total
Art: 81
Writing: 82
Music & Sound: 61
Mechanics: 66
Game Concept 81
Use of Fetish 79
Judge Preference: 76
Total: 1526

Final Score: 4689

Grotlover2 Score

Category Total
Basics: 20000
Art: 330
Writing: 340
Sound: 280
Concept/Design 1410
Msc: 175
Total: 22535

Comments:

A fun little management game that feels a bit like Sort the Court in style. Its quite a bit fun just trying to keep the feast going as long as possible and the fact that your goblin eats more food as they get fatter leads to a nice difficulty curve. The character designs overall I also feel are fun and look quite good!

The only major flaw I saw with the game is the random events. There is nothing wrong with them but they feel like they are just purely random and not very well distributed making success or failure in the game feeling more like a roll of the dice especially since there is no way to have any influence on these events. Also, the game had a tendency of throwing the same event at me between 3-5 time in a row.

Overall, I would love to see this game developed further! I could see it be a very fun game people would play when they have a few mins.

Kilif Score

Category Total
Basics: 20000
Art: 225
Writing: 310
Sound: 265
Concept/Design 1350
Msc: 165
Total: 22315

Comments:

A well executed, straight forward game that makes use of the theme via resource management and responding to random events. Witty dialogue and seems to be fairly well balanced as I felt like there was risk of losing without actually losing. Would have liked to see more mechanics, but did enjoy the branching paths from the dialogue options. Overall, very solid.

Scores

Art: 555

Writing: 650

Sound: 545

Design: 2760

Total: 44850

what the password to itch.io

You shouldn’t need one.

It’s embedded in the link from here but it that breaks somehow its GainJam2021