Raiding Fairies 1.2

If the cursor was flickering in the corner of the screen, that means that the mouse isn’t locked into the control scheme and is technically trying to move about the window. All you need to do is click a few times and it should lock the mouse and give you proper controls back. You can also try unlocking the mouse with the key bind and clicking anywhere in the game to lock it back into movement.

You’ve really got something unique and special here. The fact you made this in such a short time is pretty ridiculous. It honestly is a little rough at the moment in a few ways. The expeditions need more variety, the danger system could do with allowing for some player input (more ways to decrease it), gold could do with a use (maybe decreasing danger or buying upgrades). But with all that said, these are all things that exist from the small time to make it.

As a foundation this has so much room to grow. I’ve never seen a game on here with a little town building element as the main hub, I’d love to see more of that. Down the line new models for the fairies could allow for all kinds of body types. More expeditions and events with sizes and fairy types. There’s a lot here that’s so promising. And for being made in hardly a week I’m so impressed. I hope having to fix all these small issues that come about with playtesting doesn’t deter you becuase this is great!

1 Like

After grappling with the controls I was digging it, making a fairy commune and whatnot. My main gripe (other than potentially wanting a “degassing” button, crikey they’re gassy!) is that it wasn’t entirely clear what the end game was or if there even is an endpoint implemented. It wasn’t clear to me how many elemental gems and how much gold I need to advance.

Definitely a unique entry!

I do feel as if most of the 3D element could have just been a menu and the gameplay wouldn’t change all that much, but it’s still much appreciated being able to fly around and look at the fairies.

@AlexKay There is a button to mute the belching sound on the options, together with a volume slider for just them. Elemental Gems are used for Skills, so one you bought all of them that’s it. Gold will cause visual changes (gold mountains, fairy queen weight) until about 27k.

@Tombot Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I’m not too happy about that. The expedition system did not end up working how I imagined it. I should have focused on the build aspect more instead

2 Likes

idk if its just me but the thing on top of the tree both freezes the game when i look at it and crash the game when i reload and get near it, and i do hope this bug or something is fix so i can do something other then make a wind fairy then crash.

Have you tried turning the global graphic options down? The portal has the highest cost of everything currently in-game, maybe it’s that?

i did but it’s not helping at all

Then I sadly have no idea at all. I still think it might be a graphic issue, but I do not know how to fix it.

by chance is the game using multi-thread rendering on unity 3.5?
if so could i ask you to add a option to change between single and multi-thread rendering?

WASD sucks for lefties could you allow the use of arrow keys as an option.

Don’t know if you plan to update this side of the event ending, but I have some comments/issues of varying importance if you do:

• Pressing spacebar when on the expeditions screen right after sending out an expedition causes a fatal error.
  • Loading in within one of the interaction zones requires you to leave the zone and go back again to interact.
  • You can interact with the last entered interaction zone after leaving it (this was useful to quickly get back into the expedition menu after building, although it seems unintentional.)
  • When bringing up the menu of a zone you’re not in you can’t press esc to leave it.
  • You can interact and end day while other menus are active and while the day is cycling, causing probably unintentional menu stacking and mouse toggling while a menu is open.
  • Gold appears to have no use.
  • Water gems seem far harder than the others to get.
  • Other fairies probably shouldn’t collide with you, your camera, or the things you’re trying to build. (They should probably also get out of the way if you’re trying to go through them and your cursor if you’re trying to build, although having them get out of the way of the camera would make it harder to look at butts.)
  • Zooming in all the way to first person should probably hide the player model.
  • Late on when I had a lot of very fat fairies they started getting stuck under the warp platform.
  • It’d be nice to be able to fly up and down (relative to your facing, rather than having to look up or down first), and to fly faster. (I imagine with space, ctrl, and shift respectively.)
  • It’d be nice to have a quick way to send out the same expedition(s) again (if available, or wait and send if not.)
  • Sending out fairies very over-full fairies, even to the bell tower where there appears to be nothing to eat, triggers messages as if they ate on that expedition, including delayed return messages.
  • Bell tower events seem far too rare, if there’s one that doesn’t require a fat fairy then I’ve not been able to find it, and if the ‘knocking the bell over and maxing out danger’ event is the only one there then that’s a bit disappointing.
    I’d naturally assumed that sending a lightning fairy with the expedition to the bell tower would have some kind of effect relevant to progression and or/the story, since otherwise being able to send 11 specifically and the existance of the lightning fairy seem questionable, but this does not appear to be the case.

Overall it seemed good though, and even the fatal error didn’t cause any persistent issues or progression loss.

First Round Scores

Jux Score

Category Total
Game Runs: 50.0
Use of Theme: 50.0
Art: 6.7
Writing: 3.9
Music & Sound: 4.8
Mechanics: 5.8
Game Concept 6.8
Use of Fetish 6.4
Judge Preference: 5.95