Release 0.32 (Public) and 0.33 (Patreon Early Access)

This release reveals the first two gods in Yaffaif world, or at least their influence. Donating to a God, or carrying one of their fetishes can (arguably) have a beneficial effect on a character. Though it would be more accurate to say they are likely beneficial for the God in question.

New stuff:

• Gods, shrines, and fetishes.
  • Road to Twizelford now open with two paths and the bandit camp.
  • First rough of the farm.
  • Village bandit quest can now be completed.
  • Fertility statue now “works”.
  • Advent dream now room-complete, but not puzzle complete.

User interface stuff:

• English units include handling of yards and miles.
  • Metric units now handle kilometres.
  • Fixed occasional bizarre unit changes in some messages.
  • Looking at containers and composites will reveal contents if appropriate.
  • People have tool-tips that reveal their full name (if known).

Other bits:

• NPCs that have no sleep “job” no longer require sleep.
  • NPCs that cannot search for food no longer need it.
  • Gods can affect physical attributes and stats.
  • Gods can provide hints in locations.
  • Support for HTML Latin entities by name.
  • Complete re-work of “containment” ie. what is in/on where.
  • Initial wielded weapon fixed.
  • Added “decorations” - things you can (just) look at in game.
  • Added “mention” flag to items and exits so they don’t get listed if they are already covered by the long room description.
  • Fixed “There is” preamble where the item is a multiple, like trousers.
  • Added conditions to using exits, and a carrying-item trap
  • Format error reporting on messages.
  • Fixed time handling in composites.
  • Ironed out many minor niggles, typos, and bugs.

Metrics:

• 66 different locations (and another 126 in the advent dream).
  • 19 NPC characters.
  • 1373 Java classes (228k+ lines, 5.1Mbytes of source code).
  • 43 Story files (11k+ lines, 280kbytes).

Known bugs:

• Kobold guards have been caught eating their own “weapons” - it’s emergent behaviour (sort of)
  • If the player dies the game pauses briefly as it runs several in-game hours of “simulation”
  • Starting character sizes may be a little off after changes and need some further tuning

As usual, download from the usual place, and start a new game. Previous saves will not have the new content, and will likely fail to load.

If you would like to support the development you can do so on Patreon where there are a number of different rewards, including walk-throughs, early access, developer documentation, and more… .

Release v0.33(Patreon Early Access) includes:

• Added a third route to Twizelford.
  • Game over possible in Twizelford Road area.
  • New “death” recovery for the Twizelford Road area leads to PC capture.
  • Possibility of learning lock pick skill.

Alternatively, if Patreon isn’t your thing I have a tip jar on ko-fi

6 Likes

Is there’s a list of commands for the game? When you start to type, it looks like an autofill tries to pop up, but it’s just a single blank line.

It would be useful to be able to type to work or buy items, but I just get errors endlessly when trying any command outside of eat <item>.

The text input development tends to lag behind the UI to the right. In general anything can be done by either method, but there are some commands the text input doesn’t correctly parse yet. The autocomplete is context sensitive and will only complete commands that are sensible (and available through the UI). Unfortunately I don’t have a list of verbs compiled as they are scattered through the source.

Here’s how the autocomplete should work: If you go into the pub and type the letter “a” it will offer the verbs “ask” and “attack”. If you choose “ask” then type space and “A” it will offer “Arthur” as an option. Choose that, and type another space and it offers “about” and “for”. Choose “for” and then another space - it offers “bar work”, “menu”, and “price”. Selecting “bar work” and press return to work in the bar. Alternatively you can just type:

ask Arthur for bar work

Similarly in the smithy:

ask smith for training
buy apron from smith

If you see messages like:

+ LookHelper.noMatch Sentence[WordPart[:to:look], NounPhrasePart[WordPart[:noun:blanket]]->ItemSelection[one-of empty]]

Then it’s one of the cases where my parser code isn’t working correctly. If you find one of these do let me know, so I can address it.

Wanted to report a bug. I was playing the patron ver, but I’ve had this happen in previous versions as well. I just happened to find something out about it this time around.

I’ve been having issues with Frank (the kobold cook)'s functionality. Over the past few versions, I’ve found his AI to be really inconsistent. Sometimes he works fine for a while, but then just suddenly breaks and stays that way. Other times, he’s just broken. Whenever he breaks, he always just puts wood on the fire instead of going through his normal cooking routine.

This latest time, however, it was working really well right up until I got one of the dream sequences. after that, he broke again. It might have something to do with that, but I’m not sure.

Ooh, thanks for letting me know about that - I’ve not seen it myself. It sounds like he’s either getting stuck in a reset/reboot loop or he’s getting locked up after step where he goes to the larder to drop of what he’s made. Do you have a save file after he locks up? If you could send that it would really help. If not, do you remember if you’d taken/eaten the things he put in the larder?

Was testing it a bit again earlier today. I was able to keep his AI going as long as I re-loaded the save if I got a dream sequence. Might do some more testing later to see how consistently the dream sequences break it, and if it’s a specific one that does it.

How would I trigger the dreams in debug so that I can test it?

Oh, also, yeah, I take the things he puts in the larder. As long as he’s working properly, he tries to re-stock it like normal.

You can trigger dreams with the following console commands:
The flashback to when your parents were alive:

/=/.dreams.start([val1.home.invade])

The falling dream:

/=/.dreams.start([dreams.falling])

The oddly familiar one (advent/colossal caves):

/=/.dreams.start([dreams.adv])

However, these don’t cause the original PC to sleep in quite the same way as using a bed or sleeping on the floor (the dreamer is a clone of the PC). In both cases though the game will stop simulating the activity in the Kobold mine if you spend long enough in the dream world. Given what you’ve said I suspect it’s something around the cooking job stop/start that’s causing the problem. Thank you for your assistance in investigating this. I’m just fixing up the new walk though, then I’ll get on to this bug.

no problem. I’ll get back to you if I find out any more.

What does the fertility statue actually do? From what I’ve seen it makes your character curvier every day or so, but is there any value that influences when it ticks and how much it gives?

The statue is tied into the “gods” system. Each night you hold it it increases your standing with the god of fertility, and this “karma balance” is used by the god to grant you benefits. As the benefits become more pronounced they cost more karma, and will be rewarded less often. Future releases will include other ways to gain karma, other benefits, and allow you to place the statue where it will “benefit” NPCs.

Does the god of fertility make you more likely to get pregnant and stuff like that?

Yes, and … no. It’s currently not possible to get pregnant (or make someone pregnant), however the fertility stat which, eventually, controls the likelihood is increasing.