There was a release 0.40, but it had a bug, so here is 0.41! This is a roll-up
of the changes in both versions.
The focus in this sprint was working on the main quest, and the new “revenge
your parents” quest. Some good progress was made, but trying to get the front
desk working in the civilian guard building revealed a fundamental problem
with the way the locations and containers worked in the engine.
A new sub-location class that can be a part of a location with it’s own exits
solved this problem but required the complex NPC path finding and travel-to job
to be reworked. All the actions that deal with stance, containers, cages, and
locations also had to be re-factored, pulling all the shared work into a common
base class. This should also fix some of the strangeness with the Orc cage.
In order to speed things up a dialogue tester has been added to the debug
screen. I’ve wanted to add this functionality since I first saw it in the
Pornarium event creator. There’s a lot of dialogue to be added to the game
in the coming sprints and it was becoming painful to test. This should speed
that up significantly, as well as being a potentially useful tool for anyone
tinkering with the game.
Two new buttons allow you to change the font size of the game
making it larger or smaller (to a point). If you are running the game
maximised increasing the font size will make the text easier to read.
There are new custom stat bars too. These work around a bug in the JavaFX
progress bars that would not display small values, such as the player’s
“Fer” stat, and display bars that were slightly too small for other values.
They are also shaded now to reflect the nature of their values.
- Quest revenge parents started (work-in-progress)
- Added a new quest to track getting dry after falling in the river (complete) - suggested by @Lundar
- Added civilian guard building ground floor
- Added Sgt Rusty Steele
- Actions added to stand from a chair and get out of a bed
- Characters can get stuck in chairs and on beds
- While sat in a chair you can reach things on an adjacent table without standing up
User interface stuff:
- Font size adjustment buttons added
- Custom stat bar control accurately displays small values, and can be shaded.
- The contents of the story pane are saved when the game is saved and restored on load
- The units selection is saved and restored in the same way.
- Fixed display of quest part status to not cause unintentional evaluation and changes
- Added dialogue testing pane in debug mode
- Re-worked debug pane to allow ids to be entered and fix layout issues
- Added “add to dialogue args” button to debug pane
- Fixed game save problems
- Fixed quest warning
- New JavaFX property for the game’s colours
- Changes to allow further UI customisation
- Sub-location concept with it’s own exits added to the engine
- NPC path finding and jobs re-worked to take account of sub-locations
- Added common code to handle actions relating to stance and position in a location
- Fixed out-of-sequence messages when waking up
- Fixed Kerry recovery message errors
- Fixed verb usage in Kerry’s chat
- Fixed tool-tip generation incorrectly revealing the stepping stones in the river
- Quests can now be set to be repeatable
- Fixed a quest bug where pre-completed parts would be lost on quest start
- Add work-in-progress flag to quests and quest parts
- Allow quest parts to set other parts as “succeeded”
- Fixed quest parts success and failure states not being “sticky” (so they can’t go from success to failure now)
- Added debugEval flag to quest parts for debugging success and failure conditions
- Add a “null” literal to the expression handler
- Expression handler can now handle null in equals and comparison
- Expression handler can correctly compare enum values
- 104 different locations (and another 126 in the advent dream)
- 26 NPC characters
- 6 quests (2 unfinished)
- 1545 Java classes (263k+ lines, 5.9Mbytes of source code)
- 58 Story files (14k+ lines, 354kbytes)
- Bandits becoming unreasonably horny while you are caged by Nug.
- Kobold guards have been caught eating their own “weapons” - it’s emergent behaviour (sort of)
- Starting character sizes may be a little off after changes and need some further tuning
As usual, download from the usual place, and start a new game. Previous saves will not have the new content, and will likely fail to load.
If you would like to support the development you can do so on Patreon where there are a number of different rewards, including walk-throughs, early access, developer documentation, and more… .
Release v0.42 (Patreon Early Access) includes:
- Added Lola to an expanded Beers
- Added Civilian Guard Darthen
- Wanted board added to Civilian Guard building
- Added bandit reward to the wanted board
- Added pre-flight checks for Java version and JavaFx presence with error window
- Units selection defaults on startup if OS provides user.country property
Alternatively, if Patreon isn’t your thing I have a tip jar on ko-fi