Release 0.42 2021-04-1 and 0.43 (Early Access)

Hi. I’ve been trying this game out and it’s really fun! However, for some reason in this update, I’ve been experiencing a lot of Warning: Null encountered in MsgList errors that prevent movement. Is there any way to fix this or is it something that will be fixed later?

It’s not something anyone else has reported, or I’ve seen in testing. It does rather sound like something is really broken! It’s not something that’s been (intentionally) fixed. Can you please:

• Let me know what you’d done prior to the fault, and which version you were playing (0.43 is the current public one).
  • Send me the save file (DM me a link to it on mega/google drive/one drive etc)
  • Try running the game in debug mode and send me any exceptions reported on the console

There’s a problem with the debug commands for this in 0.42. However if you go to the farm shop and buy a few milk the shopkeeper will offer you milk from the tap which will get you those transformations.

The leather jacket and work boots also have some minor benefit.

It’s not clever: Yet Another Fat Furry Adult Interactive Fiction.

I downloaded the game as per the instructions (version 0.43) and opened it up using the GameFX2.jar file. The errors currently occur most often when an entity dies. Normally, they are replaced with a “dead” version of themselves, but instead, the entity still shows up alive followed by a bunch of null errors. I’ve been having problems with Yaffaif throughout the various versions as they have been released which makes me think my Java might be corrupted. I will try reinstalling it and see if that helps. I will direct message you the save file if I can.

Edit: Tried reinstalling Java. It did not fix the issue.

Thanks for the save game, I’ve downloaded it and successfully loaded it in 0.43. I’m going to run it up in the IDE debug tomorrow once I’ve committed today’s changes, and hopefully find out what happened. I’m not sure what caused the first exception, but it does look as though the game is then stuck in combat mode as a result and there’s a new exception each time it tries to clear it down.

@Prism7 I’ve patched the bug that caused movement to fail after the initial error. This is now available for download from the website in the OP as 0.43b. This will allow you to load the faulty save and continue. It should also solve the issue of the “zombie” combatants. I have not been able to reproduce the original error yet though.

Ok awesome! Thanks for fixing it. I’ll let you know if I find any other errors. I think there have been a couple of previous ones I’ve encountered but I need to find them again.

Hmmm so im kinda dumb with cumputers so how do i fix the FATAL: java.lang.NullPointerException null

You can’t; that’s my mistake to fix in the game code. If you can remember what you did before it happened that would be great, and if you’ve a save game after it happened I can look into that.

It may help to avoid it if you use version 0.43b uploaded yesterday.

Well it happens every single time i Kil something in the game. If you want i can send the saved game i have

That would be great! Drop the save on a file sharing site please and send me the link.

Its that one. As i said the big happens every signle time i kill something. Even though i do kill it the body dont appear and the creature just stay there

Thanks for the save … I’m investigating.

Yup i just love the game though

I’ve fixed the “death” problem in v0.43c which is now available from the link in the OP. I hope that’s the last of the problems in 0.43 - I’m off to patch those changes into 0.44 and the upcoming 0.45. Thanks for reporting the issue, and I’m glad you’re enjoying the game!