Rimworld Weight gain Mod the second coming discusion

actually there are a bunch of mods in the workshop that add traits when certain triggers are hit, be it a certain need threshold(bad people), an item being consumed or an action being carried out(plasteel surgery, reconditioning pod) so it’s not entirely impossible to have traits happen to begin their existence during play

yet what you speak of is hediffs, not traits and they are far easier to work with. addictions and diseases are hediffs that are tracked in the health bar. however for things like slower metabolism or inverse, quick metabolism setting them as traits could make more sense both in the logic of the game engine and common sense

plus hediffs don’t have a real limit unlike traits

Update!

It’s been a painful few days of slogging through the source code and other people’s mods but I’ve finally made some headway.

Currently I have the following features working:

• Weight is measured and it's effects administered to pawn's through a Hediff that is applied at pawn generation.
    • The hediff currently affects movement speed, need for rest, need for food and manipulation (only at rather high stages)
    • I plan on adding other effects to the hediff such as perhaps a small talking penalty at weights where they'd struggle with that (>1200lbs?)
  • When a pawn eats, a factor of the nutrition value of the food is applied as severity toward the hediff. (weight gain!)

• Pawn appearance can now be changed!
  • Based on the source code and my understanding of how it loads things adding new body types shouldn't be a problem as well, so that's nice.
    • Right now I'm working on dynamically updating the pawn sprites. I know it's possible but have yet to implement it. Currently pawn body type changes only take place when the game reloads. IT WORKS! Pawn sprites now update dynamically.

Features I’d like to add:

• As other people have mentioned, traits would be nice and could be dynamically added as in the aforementioned "Bad People". With that in mind though, what traits specifically would you like to see? What direct causes? Certain traits that make pawns sloppier when they eat, enjoy it more or tend to overeat come to mind.
  • I'd like to adjust when pawns seek food based on either food restrictions or traits so that certain pawns will tend toward different weights or in certain directions. With this I will also have to track how much over their nutrition max they've eaten and apply the values accordingly.
  • Right now the only indication of a pawn's status is their health tab and (potentially) their appearance. Are there any other ways you'd like to see their weight expressed?

I’m open to suggestions and features to add! Right now there isn’t really any benefit to being really heavy, but I’d like to give at least something that’s still in the realm of realism. I’d really like to see this mod happen so let me know what you think!

3 Likes

How many sizes do you plan? personally I could easily see tech being able to counter problems and letting pawns reach very high weights. espicaly if you don’t need them to move much
also trait idea. feedee/feeder and switch. the first two are pretty simple feedees like being feed food feeders like feeding others. switchs do both but is a rarer trait.

As for the max weight, I plan on going up to a max of (tentatively) 3000lbs! I know that’s rather high, but think of it more as the hard ceiling that you can go toward but are unlikely to reach, and even then only with appropriate research and augments. Right now many of the debuffs around being large are centered on mobility. The movement debuff hits -100% at 840, but doesn’t pass 120% until 1200lbs. This means that basic bionic implants to the legs could keep you mobile for a while beyond normal immobility. I’m wholly up to changing these values if people would like, it’s just what I have in place right now. Mechanical movement seems really easy to work in if we wanted to go that route.

I was planning on adding in a feeder work type so that it actually happened. Feedee wouldn’t be a whole lot different than patient I imagine though. What would you like to see in a trait like that?

General All I want to have as a max weight since I am bad with the raw numbers is the big old unmoving blob. maybe 5x5 tile space if they actually take up more space… maybe a special bed for scale.
ANY way to what you actually asked. I saw feedee both with a preference (like what food they liked, carnivore aka meat, sweet tooth stuff like that) and a possible social or recreation task. Like a if a feeder and feedee are in the colony and the extra food is made avaliable and they are allowed the task they engage in a feeding. Could have a special space for it like a mat or pillow for the feedee to sit on with various devices available. depended on the tech. a trible maybe just a nice mat and table. medevil a large chair and Large “feast” table with industrial going closer to feed pipes and I got no clue for spacer… robot hands. and I was also thinking it could be forced with prisoners. if they got a trait or not but feedees will still like the force feeding
I do feel glitter tech and areotech would be able to counter the max weight mobility. I mean areo tech is extreamly powerful they would likely be able to counter that. hell as advanced as they are I would imagine they could have had people the size of large buildings

Definitely could do that! Maybe as a joy source, much like insect jelly is in vanilla. E.g. pawns have more specific preferences like you said and when they eat them they get a mood buff.

Hmmmm… I hadn’t really thought of that. That could be fun - much like the feeder tubes from Starbound’s Big fatties, though I might have to code it in like a drug so that you can set which pawns are allowed to use it. After all, somebody has to actually do real work.

This might be good so as to avoid depleting the colony’s resources overly fast. That might be a good idea in general. I do also really like the eating spot idea, though not entirely sure what effects in would have other than flavor text.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I will make sure I add in counters to weight immobility. They’ll probably be locked behind research trees though. I would like to have pawns be quite large. I’m not sure what hardcoded limitations there are on that exactly, but if it turns out easily bypassable I plan on very large sizes.

Thanks for the input!

NO problem.
I would like to ask what you think of the weight loss and muscles part I just remembered to post.
and side though maybe feeders that cook gain a mood post (like +5) when cooking. you know form fantasying what they could do with the food… more food options might be something to look in too. like A glazed “hog” to glazed Elehpant or something to just add to the extream scale of how much a pawn is eating

Given their shape, I think it would be Very Funny if there was a custom research tech that allowed you to turn large mechanoids (Centipede/Pikeman/Termite) into a mode of transport for the… horizontally challenged.

It’d be a good way to get rid of their corpses once they start piling up, to boot…

This seems sick! This’ll be something I’d want to add but probably quite a bit down the line since I’d like to flesh out the core mechanics first. Can you imagine how cool some of the tenets could interact? Cannibal and fat worship leads to vore/something like that (not my cup of tea but metal as hell).

I would actually like this to be a general physique mod in a lot of ways. Adding in exercise related work types and buffs for becoming stronger would be really cool. As for positives to weight gain… I’m not sure yet. More HP is tempting, but not wholly realistic nor useful (If their speed is drastically reduced they’re just a glorified human bullet sponge). That isn’t to say I’m against it, but just unsure thematically to fit that into Rimworld’s more hardcore vibe.

Definitely like this. +5 might be a bit much, unless I start pumping out mood debuffs for NOT doing them.

Not against it, but I want to make sure added recipes are meaningful and not just cluttering Bill tabs. This might be accomplished well by adding different sizes of meals that have much larger amounts of nutrition. E.g. Simple Meal, Large Simple Meal, Huge Simple Meal, Enormous Simple Meal. When you make meals it does tell you what it’s made of, for what that’s worth.

…Yeah that’s pretty badass. Makes it more of a luxury you’d have to hunt down too, which adds challenge. The thought of a refurbished Centipede whirring, struggling to move an enormous colonist tickles me.

Oh yeah definitely about the Scale. so your not grabbing 20 normal meals but just one large/etc meal.
could also be like “20 cookies, or 5 pies or just one two layer cake” something like that

Before adding new items, I suggest looking at what existing mods have similar or useful functions. Those interested in extra food items, might benefit form mods that do just that.

EG: Steam Workshop::Vanilla Cooking Expanded

Better off planning compatibility with a few select mods than attempting to re-invent the wheel.

1 Like

adding a body size increase which in turn makes you have more blood in your body, higher caravan carryweight and maybe even increases body part hp in return for being easier to hit would be an interesting tradeoff

although it is sad to know that it’s impossible with the game’s code to have pawns be larger than 1 tile

additionally for some interested there is the rjw mod that adds naughty bits and varied sizes of them so it could potentially involve specifically the top heavy lads and lasses

that was actually the mod that inspired me to bring the whole healthdiffs idea

Looks interesting.
I look forward to the basic frame/mod getting released.

Hopefully one can force feed prisoners.

Definitely part of the plan!

As for today’s progress, I’ve tested my method for adding new body sprites and replacing them and it works! Furthermore, I’ve added in 12 bills in the various cooking benches that allow for Large, Huge, Enormous and Massive Simple, Fine and Lavish meals! Each offers more nutrition than the last and the work required to make it / resources are scaled appropriately. Lastly, I’ve tested a working method for changing a pawn’s nutrition max (Needs_Food).

I would like some input! How do you want to see your pawn’s weight? Right now it wouldn’t be hard to display such a thing on the Health tab, but on top of being out of the way its also quite awkward and uninteresting to look at. I plan on having qualitative stage names in the health tab (I.e.Chubby, Obese, Blob etc.) but as for numerical data or a more nuanced indicators of small progress, how would you like it represented? I had a couple ideas but they each have downfalls.

1. Weight could be obtained by using an in game item, such as a scale and it would use a Mote (tiny floating text) to display the number.
  2. Alternatively, Motes could be used to show net gains/losses over time intervals.
  3. It could be shown as a bar in the Needs tab as was mentioned above, but the down side of that is two-fold. First, weight would probably have to be shown as a percent. Second, it would be a meter from minimum to max, and I personally dislike that for flavor reasons.
  4. It could be shown in the colonist’s information button (the i button) by their mass. I haven’t tried changing this yet but it shouldn’t be too hard. Regardless I plan on keeping this updated so that this information is accurate when using caravans and launch pods, but given that to see it you need to dig through walls of text and pause the game I don’t care for it much as a primary way of tracking that info.

If you guys have any other ideas, let me know. It wouldn’t necessarily be unreasonable to just not display that info, but I personally really like being able to see each pound of difference being added.

I’m a fan of it being under the health tab as that is, in my mind, where it relates to their status.
Needs, like you said, is percentage based and makes things a bit vague.

It may seem boring but I am a fairly boring man and its more a numerical comparison with a visual indicator (something you have included) that I want.

Ultimately, whichever is easiest for you to implement and reference/build off of as trying to go whole hog with features at once can cause burnout or stagnation.

1 Like

agreed upon, the health tab can display both the qualitative and the actual amount in pounds or kilograms to be both precise and pleasing to look at

1 Like

Here’s hoping (For the mod in development if it still is) that you could mess with the ritual system to have eating contests between different members of the faithful, with food quality adding to ritual power/success rate especially if you could add a feeder meme which gives a mood boost for every immobile blob pawn you have (Similar to the slavers mood boost for the amount of slaves they have). Gourmand already exists in the game, so that should be an easy slip into the mod, as well as Feedee/Feeder traits proper(Something that could agree with the Feeder meme, ala High Life and Chemical fascination). With the Feeder meme, i would also love an option to force feed prisoners and slaves, making it impossible for them to rebel since you’re blobbing them up. The starbound mod, while good, never let’s me “Manage my Blobs” like i would like, so here’s hoping this/these mods can do so! And if i said something that was already said, sorry, I skimmed this thread because i genuinely want this mod.

Tl;Dr Feeder religion reeeeeee

2 Likes

one thing I want to ask. How do you plan to handle weight Loss? gaining is great but a survival game means sometimes it’s best to lose the weight