Rimworld Weight gain Mod the second coming discusion

Creating a new topic would certainly be a good idea for the mod since it’s already being made and tested by you, and it would also draw some more people to the mod rather than just an idea

another question - are you planning to post a wip build anytime soon for testing purposes or are you gonna post it when you are more-less done?

Sorry for the lack of updates! I work quite a lot so its hard for me to update during the weekdays. Rest assured I have not stopped work on the mod!

I’ve been debating that. I personally wanted to wait until I actually had something to share before posting there about it. I’ve been thinking about making a discord to more easily and casually plink ideas back and forth as well as share smaller progress but I don’t know whether that’d be appreciated or not.

As for the moodlets and descriptions, I think that’d be really good flavor!

I’ve been reading everyone’s thoughts on the system, and I’ve made the decision to tentatively go for it. Don’t worry too much about its apparent difficulty, I’ve pretty much already made or worked out the framework for what I propose, it’s more of a question of how I want to tie it in.

What would a bare-bones version look like to you? I know it sounds complicated but anything simpler would likely just result in pawns always gaining weight.

I do plan on WIP builds, but probably for smaller testing groups (if I do add a discord, that’d be who participated). Early versions will almost certainly have vast incompatibility with other random mods and errors that need patched. Save corruption isn’t out of the question either. The last thing I need is to wreck a ton of people’s worlds by releasing it to everyone at once and early. Once things are relatively stable for a given build I’d then release it here, probably.

All that being said, I’d also be more likely to release it in some form once I have more sprites. Right now there’s very little to be enjoyed, just framework and random features. I’m not really an artist, but I’m competent enough to make the sprites given quite a bit of time. What that means though is that I either have to continue working on the framework or the sprites since both are time consuming. I digress.

On to what I’ve been working on: work!

The way RimWorld does Jobs is… elaborate to say the least. To give a little insight to what I’ve been looking at, a “job” in Rimworld has:

• WorkTypeDef
  • WorkGiverDef
  • WorkGiverClass
  • JobDef
  • JobGiverClass
  • JobDriverClass
  • JobMaker (technically it just uses a static one of these but w/e)
  • (an actual "Job" object)
  • JobTracker
  • Toils

To make custom behavior (such as feeding from a tube or force feeding prisoners or many of the other suggestions in this thread) understanding of these classes and the way they interact is necessary. I’ve been documenting and exploring how I will make the custom behaviors we want using these classes, which has taken some time but I’ve finally reached a decent understanding of it.

Additionally, I’ve taken some time to refine the nutrition, fullness, stuffing and weight loss mechanics. I’ve also started work on updating the slider to reflect these changes.

Let me know what you guys think about any of this!

4 Likes