Roundbound: Gaining for a Goddess v5.1 - Famitu update

Complete the Oracles quest - Maddeline will be able to have a fattened overworld sprite.

2 Likes

Okay cool was not sure if it was intentional or not.

1 Like

Ok i found a glitch. After the dream in the very beginning of the game if you try to interact with the box of apples for a second time the game tries to load Leel.png but fails and crashes.
Ok i found a second glitch. When you try to enter the house where you do the quiz for the Selene if you approach the fairy from the wrong direction(for example the left) you get stuck in the cutscene.
Just finished the game and i have to say its very good cant wait for the next update.(Btw can someone help me with the cave puzzle i have no idea how to do it?)

1 Like

I found a bug, when I try to talk to the fairy on the side of the hut my game crach

1 Like

Already fixed it for the next update, talking to her from the front should make it work.

Hmm…
I have to say, this is probably one of the more… unimaginative projects I’ve seen here. I can safely say you have technical skill and enough knowledge with MV to mainpulate and work out your weight gain ideas, that’s great! And you have good handle on what you want to show off. I like the designs of Clara and Madeline in her maid outfit, how gluttonous the world is, how fast the game plays, scenarios have solid foundations, it is all…functional.

But it feels like you…don’t really have much going on. You have a means for the characters to gain and lose weight, but it does nothing, not even grant you different reactions (though thank Aria it doesn’t slow you down…tired of seeing that in these games…). Combat is basic RPGMaker affair, very easy, with the one enticing skill, Big Burp, being stuffed all the way at the end of the content, when there is nothing to use it on yet cause its too expensive to use and complete overkill on most mobs anyway (Good call on making it optional, though. Should probably have a replacement for those that don’t like gas/slob content, though.). I can see all the plugins you glutted the js folder in, but it is obvious you aren’t using most of them, so it’s just wasted data. The puzzles and not-so-sidequests are really simple, very little thought in them. Go here, get this, come back. Go here, kill this, come back. Go here, watch event (and I mean watch, not play…), come back. The only interesting one wasn’t even the eating contest, but the door password, and it was only that because the second hint is actually kinda BS, since you would have no reason to actually bother remembering the information, much less finding it (It’s Y, for those lookin’). And speaking about words…

The writing is so…blase, like you don’t really want to a world or a story, making me question why make it an adventure and not a fun romp around the world. Robin doesn’t feel like a Chosen One protagonist. She doesn’t really do any to do with her Power of Gluttony, with how insatiable everyone in the world already is. There really isn’t much actual character interactions, only small snippets and ideas of such, like Robin’s lust for being a feeder, Clara’s submissiveness or magical talent, or Madeline’s maidly responsibilities. Having all the bad endings just be “And then the party gets force-fed into becoming fat and immobile and they are a little pissy about it” makes the system feels kind of tired. And the dialogue is just so…immature. I like amateur RPGMaker works, see my posts on Some Bullshit, but there is a difference between someone that ripped out a bunch of music from their favorite games and songs and crafted together a rickety sledding mini-game, and some that literally types “lmao”, “thx bb”, 'Lol I don’t give a shit" as NPC dialogue… You can’t even enjoy the fourth wall breaks, you refuse to let us, telling the characters to “Stop breaking it!”. And there so many fades to black, not even bothering with having a short description of events, even with events you could have easily shown in-engine. It makes it all feel so noncommittal and even downright lazy, were I to be a harsher critic.

What really turned me off this project is the Relic Ruins sequence. You had a such an unique scenario, turning Madeline into a behemoth of a girl, inflated with raw mana. She’s the size of a house, she’s alone and embarrassed, she’s in a crumbling ruins, she’s rearing to go and ready to save the day…!

And the only thing you could figure out to do with her humongous size is to…push a button. Not even a big button, but just a button… I’m literally the size of a dragon, and I’m being threatened by spiders. You couldn’t have done things like give us some temporary skills, have us smash through the puzzles if we want, scale the monsters; sizes to make them feel insignificant, anything? It makes me ask why is this a game, what do you want to tell or show? What is RoundBound, why am I playing this…?

I apologize for being overly harsh, I just feel like the potential of this project feels kind of squandered. Whether this is just too early a release to call it, before you got to show us your true talent; or you are struggling to come up with or know how to implement your cooler ideas, I feel like this is another project that is gonna get crushed under the weight of its peers. I’m harsh because I do feel like you have the skill to have quite a unique game on your hands. You just need to put some more passion and creativity into this game.

Keep at it, man. I’m rooting for you.

6 Likes

Bro I wont lie, you’re asking for a thesis paper on a fetish site. I get the possible argument of “What’s unique about this game?” but realistically you could say that to 99% of the games on here, including the big ones.

3 Likes

Idk wtf is going on in this thread, but the Witches bad end and the fact this isn’t another “Protagonists are ambivalent about the gains” type of badender game, makes me think this is one of the better games on the sight. Haven’t finished it yet, cause W O O B O Y the witch bad ending is good, but keep up the good work my guy.

3 Likes

While I agree that the previous comment was a bit…excessive to say the least, you have to admit that as much as this game shows a willingness for the fetish, it just doesn’t work in terms of story at all. It is in a strange area between wanting to tell a proper story with characters but also just trying to get from one fetish moment as fast as possible.
Now having a game with basically no story is not an issue at all, but what bothers me personally here is that we are clearly supposed to at least somewhat care about what is going inside the world but there is just…not enough effort put into it in any place. I’m not saying that the game needs to be apostles-levels of thought out, but I think that what is needed is a proper decision as to what the game really wants to be:
If it wants to tell a story with characters, plot points, maybe even some twist or whatever then it will be necessary to actually care about planning it out, because as is we are being thrown about willy-nilly with no good reason as to why any of this is happening or any sort of goal.
Now, if the game wants to keep this sort of largely goalless structure then that is also fine, but the game should maybe stop being so linear in that case. It wouldn’t be a big change to just let people go wherever they want to go after you complete the first sequence or first town…or whatever arbitrary tutorial area one wants to have, and then just kinda go “Well you need to do a set amount of stuff before the next meeting with the goddess or whatever occurs”. Hell, the game already kinda does that with the towns, but so far it just feels like a collection of ideas and situations more than an actual game.
Also, it’s not just the overall story that is lackluster, even the dialogues are just…kinda bland really. Most character after the first farm are more just jokes or just “fat good” kinda deals with no actual personality behind them. I mean, you have characters like the priestess of the first town that look important and then all you get is “thx bby”.
And don’t get me wrong, I like the game that is there in terms of fat content and the endings, but the rest just feels…empty, like it was put there only out of a feeling of necessity moreso than an actual desire to create something more than those few things I just praised.

Also on a sidenote, saying that most games are like this, with the story being more of a secondary thing may be true, but that doesn’t mean it’s good and should be encouraged, because that’s how you get swamped with projects that go nowhere. Proper criticism is needed to make sure games and other media can become more than just average, and sometimes that kind of criticism is just a tad harsh but in the end necessary if it leads to an improvement of the game in the long run.

Look, I really like this game, right? There is promise for it in terms of character dynamics, a somwhat logical setup for the fetish stuff and all that jazz, but I just want it to be more decisive, more focused than what it is now. This has major promise, that much is clear even just from the fact that Plusparsnips and I cared enough about it to type out these massive blocks of text. We aren’t hating on the game, we are trying to help it grow from something that is just like everything else to something that has the potential to stand out.

7 Likes

Yeah, I could say that to the big ones here. Only reason I haven’t is that it takes a quite a bit to write this stuff~.

I play a lot of these games from a variety of fetishes, a lot of them bad. But very few of them makes me audibly ask “Why was this a game?”. I don’t need a thesis paper from these things (though I wouldn’t mind one~), but I do want to say “You want to make an RPG”. Some games here do that, some don’t, and this is another one that just…doesn’t feel that way.

1 Like

who’s the founder of Aloewood

I do have to agree with these posts in large part, harsh as they may seem.

I’m very much in the camp of the fetish being the most important aspect of these games. However this game could use some fleshing out as far as story/characters.

I’d like to see more context for what is happening; maybe mixed with the fetish aspects. At the end of every chapter maybe you could have a cutscene where Robin talks to Aria and we get to see her growing in power and weight to solidify the main plot. Its actually a bit unclear why Robin goes on this adventure at all aside from her needing to leave the farm. You kinda forget what her goal is and why she is interested in helping Aria (Aside from maybe kinda sorta liking fat chicks?) Coven of Cahlaree does a much better job with a similar plot set up imo.

Also, characters changing face portraits as their weight goes up and people noting their weight adds a lot to a game like this, though that may not be possible or worth the effort with the current system.

This is already one of my favorite games on this site and its got a lot of potential. Whatever you do, keep up the great work and don’t get discouraged! I just want to see the game be even better!

3 Likes

Oh it’s quite possible. Pretty simple, the same common event Round assigned to the weight shift can be used to change the portrait, though they will need to use a script such as Yanfly’s Message Core to make sure the portrait for each character whenever they talk matches their weight variable. They can then assign each NPC an extra page that reads the variable and create new text for the event.

While I agree that the character need to be fleshed out more…

I don’t agree that it needs to be done now.

This game feels like a wonderful outline, the progress is going smooth and I honestly wouldn’t mind this kind of empty characterization for a while as long as it gets addressed at some point down the line.

This completely depends on how it develops further granted. I always believe there is time to go back and add characterization. Make some events for the inns that have down time where the girls can talk, that kind of thing.

1 Like

Can anyone just say the password via spoilers, the clues aren’t helping (Can’t tell if by the goddess they mean A for Aria or R for the phonetic spelling Ar-ree-ah, I can’t tell if it’s 3 or 5 iron due to some of them being boxed) and constantly getting attacked as I try to figure out the puzzle is not helping(Considering I’m not good with puzzles normally.)

Please spoiler it so others don’t get spoiled if they want to solve it, but I am just a dumbass who doesn’t want to spend hours fumbling around with this XD

Password is 8Y3A3

5 Likes

I think my problem is I just simply don’t agree with your assessment necessarily. I can partially understand where you’re coming from, and some more depths on certain aspects would be nice. But, I also think that

1. A lot of people quite like the more lighthearted and not taking yourself too seriously approach with things like the “thx bby”. I enjoy a bit of a story and characters to attach to, but I’m not exactly trying to get as invested as a Tales of game.
  2. You bring up Apostles, which frankly I did enjoy, but many MANY people I’ve seen discuss that game are incredibly critical, because in addition to being very dark in tone, it’s frankly too much sometimes. Like I said, many games people have enjoyed greatly on here don’t take themselves 100% seriously.
  3. This is 0.2 edition. Even non-fetish or amateur developed games often aren’t super in depth with the worldbuilding in the literal first 2 dungeons. (Technically more of 1 dungeon if you consider the maid section just an event). I love fantasy games and rpgs, but in my opinion it’s absolutely an awful idea to sink tons of time into worldbuilding without first giving us something to care about. It’s okay to be naïve about the goddess or the past of this nation, because so is our protagonist. We can learn about it with them, until eventually we ourselves are invested in the character and the world they’re exploring.
  4. Despite my grievances, I agree with some flaws in the game. Normally I’d probably even agree with your comment no other discussion involved. My problem is there feels like a “pedestal” issue, of expecting a lot for no real reason, as well as ignoring even some of the most popular or biggest games here having similar faults. That, and frankly the original comment (and your reply to a lesser extent) borders the line between welcome criticism and downright rude. I would hate to be the developer and read that through. It kind of comes off as a “why are you even trying if you can’t make a good game?”
5 Likes

I suppose I just don’t agree with that assessment. I quite frankly enjoyed this game, albeit a short release so far, more than a number of other games on the site. Many of these being now dead projects, or big “currently in development” that have totally lost my interest. I feel like there’s a real backbone to this game to continue building off of.

2 Likes

I’m glad you all are enjoying the game! While this is my first ever, and I mean literally first ever RPG maker project, I agree there could be a bit more characterization. I’ll try to make the next update a lot more story driven, fleshing out the characters a bit more and giving them more concrete personalities and interactions with each other, and the world being developed.

I’ve already got some help and I’m seeing where to take characters, how to develop them, develop the story, and the world they’re in. I’ll of course keep adding new fetish content into it but I’ll put just as much effort into the story seeing how the it’s not up to par with the fetish content.

Thanks for all the support, it makes all the development as a solo dev that much better :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That is genuinely my style of criticism. I tend to be harsh on this stuff because, admittedly, I do expect a lot. But that’s because, as someone that does has RPGMaker and spent years interacting with and studying the community and the engine, I can tell what’s unfeasible for a solo dev to do…and what’s very simple QoL changes and effects that can make a more positive, personal experience. But sure, not everyone can do that, so I fall back on writing and ability to hit its appeals. So when that isn’t great, then…uhhhh… I don’t have much positive to say.

If we are gonna talk about a “pedestal issues”, then the fact that I feel so many other games around here also don’t try to make a quality, modern RPG experience, it feels like the bare minimum should be about making an enticing fetish experience. I’m a writer, I care a lot about the verisimilitude of fetish worlds, scenarios, and reactions. As a wannabe game dev, I care about RPG design and wanting to craft mechanics and systems that heightens the fetish and other ideas and appeals. So when casual idioms and fourth wall breaks intersect with a lack of mechanical talent or inspiration, I can just rest my head and wonder “Why?”.

I do apologize for being overly harsh. It’s not really my goal to stop or say that they should feel bad for such a project. I usually try to be a lot more peppy, or at least constructive. Sometimes, however, I do hit my limits on what I can tolerate, especially when I can SEE the talent, SEE the fun, SEE the potential at hand. It’s so close to being on the same level of the other projects around here like Some Bullshit, Seeds of Destiny, or Hungry Elves, its actually kind of frustrating to see it just whiff it, whether out of a lack of care, skill, or imagination.

I don’t believe Round lacks care, skill, or imagination. I don’t want to believe that. At the end of the day, I did played through the entire demo, something I don’t do all the time. So I can’t say I’m not having fun. I just hope that Round takes the advice, doesn’t get discouraged, and see why people like me might get frustrated with the design decisions in the game.

3 Likes