Sneak Feast (The Hoodah's Submission)

The Mac version was an earlier debug version that had the food set at 11 to check for more wall bugs. Download the new Mac version and you shouldn’t have that issue. Along with that…

Difficulty has been adjusted in the new version, movement should be easier in general and as the stage 3 of fatness.

Thinking about making an unlockable time attack mode, sans guards, but with a stringent time limit and the need to eat frequently to increase the time left. Stay tuned!

2 Likes

I have yet to try the new update for stage 3 fatness speed, but I managed to beat the game anyway - sure, the slowness made it difficult, but after thinking of the optimal feeding route I managed. The speed felt very appropriate for such a big mass of flesh.

I’m going to try out the update now, but I just wanted to let you know that I love the work you did on this!

2 Likes

I played the updated version and it’s a blast! And I managed to beat it too! :slight_smile:

The game (the first Dropbox link on the original post) had just the right amount of challenge for me (I am a rather incompetent gamer). Got a laugh out of being caught in the fattest stage, particularly when I had already cleared them out. Music loop was a bit too short, but set the mood well. From a play standpoint, this is the best full-on game I have played in the game jam competition, in my opinion. The title page is superb, from the font to the foreshadowing (quite literally). The intro gave Monseiur Leblanc a well-developed character. Game had a good pace and length, and the map design was creative. I agree with CozyLad that the spacebar control was unresponsive at times, but it did not detract from the game too much. Sweet ending page. Thanks for the fun game!

P.S. Foxley’s time attack mode sounds like Kirby’s Gourmet Race.

Slightly biased cos I have a friend who helped out with the art but this is amazing! Some of the best pixel art to come out of this community (that fat walk-cycle :revolving_hearts:) and I didn’t know it was possible to do half these things in OHRRPG!

My years of attempting to code non-RPGs in this niche engine paid off!

2 Likes

I’ll say. This game is an incredible blend of your tech and Hoodah’s art. It’s like you’re the Romero and Carmack of top-down furry WG games!

Grotlover2 Score

Category Total
Basics: 20000
Art: 345
Writing: 220
Concept/Design 1460
Msc: 175
Total: 22200

Comments:

A fun little stealth game where you have to sneak around while consuming the stocks of a warehouse. The way weight gain is used here is actually quite fun even if simple. As the player’s character grows in size the paths they can take become sealed off. This makes maneuvering less a viable option and forces the player to memorize the patrol paths and hide. My only complaint would be the player gains in size a bit too fast. Would have been probably better to have at least one more size between the starting and first size to ease the player into it. A less minor concern would be it would be nice to have a map to plan out how you want to go about raiding the area. While an argument could be made that scouting the map is part of the game, I feel the time limit is just a bit to short to do that well without just burring a playthrough. Otherwise a very well done game.

Kilif Score

Category Total
Art: 330
Writing: 55
Concept/Design 1540
Msc: 200
Total: 22125

Comments:

I have to say, I’ve been waiting for a game like this for some time, one in which the player’s size/weight has a greater effect on their ability to continue operating in the world, and that it changes how they have to approach challenges (such as fitting through hallways). Its easier to do in a text-based game, but when physics (albeit simple 2D collisions) are included, it gets quite a bit more complicated. I loved trying to map out the most efficient route, though ultimately I wasn’t able to figure out one to actually escape with (though I was able to get all of the food). The game falters a bit with some wonky controls and hit boxes being a little too generous, but I felt like the concept itself and the artwork more than made up for it. Excellent work, and I’d love to see more.

Juxtaterrestrial Score

Category Total
Art: 350
Writing: 187
Concept/Design 1175
Msc: 125
Total: 21837

Comments:

I like when games use sheer size as a gameplay mechanic when they can. To some extent I like the slow down and the mobility limitation. Too often those mechanics are there to punish the player instead of to reward them or challenge them. I thought that they were implemented thoughtfully in this game. The level design really helps this along. It really made me think "do I want to grab the easy food first? or do I want to spend time grabbing the niche located food first and leave the easy stuff for last. I expect that’s really the only want to beat it, but the path you take is definitely not set in stone. The shading on the sprites was great and the opening writing was poetic and really gave the main character a suave personality. Great job!

Total points: 66162