SoftFoxxo's Heavy Hunting [COMPLETE DEMO : REV4]

I really liked this game. It is very short, but it’s also very cute and fun.

1 Like

Revision 2 adds Gamepad support! It should work with all Xinput controllers, and most Dinput controllers. If you’re curious about your Gamepad’s internal name, check out the options menu after connecting the controller.
Keyboard prompts in the level select menu and title screen will swap on the fly with Gamepad prompts, and vice versa - however, if you have a controller connected and you still want to use the keyboard, you can. You just won’t see the correct prompts until you disconnect the controller.

1 Like

Updated Revision 2 to 2a for a quick fix for keyboard input not working in levels when a Gamepad is not connected.

2 Likes

Can you make it also into a app

Revision 3 is up! It adds a little intro cutscene before the title screen, but you can skip it by pressing literally any key on the keyboard, or Start on the gamepad if it’s connected. It also adds some polish with some fading between rooms/levels, and adds a short countdown before the level begins - so you have some time to catch your bearings, instead of it just suddenly starting.

Very cute game!
Treadmill mechanic that reminded me of Mega Man and other classic platformers and I loved the sprite work!

Would love more to see more stages and even sprite sheets

1 Like

Well, the game looks nice but i am also getting Tagmer’s issue while playing on my laptop.

Whenever i press 2 keys at once, the third input is not registered if the left arrow key is one of such input.
This causes the jump button to not work, making both level 1 and 2 unplayable. (haven’t tried the 3 last)

I still think that the whole game looks and plays nice when it does actually work.

I’ve been able to find a fix for it, other than plugging in an external keyboard. I’m sorry!
I’ve been unable to replicate the issue myself, and I’ve even checked on my own laptop to see if it’s a issue with laptop keyboards - but it still worked just fine regardless.
I won’t be able to get a proper fix in by the end of the jam, but I’d still like to ask: Do your inputs show up correctly in the bottom-left corner of the game? If they don’t, then it’s either a hardware issue, or something with how your laptop’s keyboard is set up (maybe by the manufacturer, I haven’t been able to narrow it down yet). If the program cannot read from your keyboard, then something is set up weird with the virtual keys.

Updated to Revision 4, and this will (hopefully) be the final submission! I added WASD and JK as a secondary control scheme for keyboard. If my guess at what Tagmer and Exas4000’s issue is correct, then this should (hopefully) work as a workaround for now.

Played your platformer and loved it, played this and loved it to! A lot of neat puzzle solving could be implemented with a weight concept like this.

they did show up correctly. i was able to see the button light up for jump, running and the arrow key independently from each other.

[Edit] I will give another try at your submission! hopefully i get to play it with no issues!

Really slick little game! It took me a littl while to ‘click’ with the controls but that’s because it’s innovative. The character was adorable, weight-tied-into-mechanics aspect was perfect!

here’s a let’s play I did of the game :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is pretty fun, i dig it

Grotlover2 Score

| Category | Total |

| —: | :–|

| Basics: | 20000 |

| Art: | 360 |

| Writing: | 0 |

| Concept/Design | 1310 |

| Msc: | 170 |

| Total: | 21990 |

Comments:

A fairly simple platformer that makes use of adjusting the characters weight to solve some of the puzzles. I liked the art assets but I feel the mechanics could have used a bit more work. Also the controls felt a bit stiff and unresponsive making control a bit difficult at times.

Jux Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 256 |

| Concept/Design | 890 |

| Msc: | 65 |

| Total: | 21339 |

Comments:

Starting off I think one of the biggest things polish wise to address is that the controls felt really unresponsive. The time between input and action was annoying to work around and the time before changing states between actions really interfered with getting around sometime. That being said, I think this is the basis of a good puzzle platformer. Just need more levels as time goes on.

Kilif Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 280 |

| Writing: | 10 |

| Concept/Design | 1335 |

| Msc: | 170 |

| Total: | 21945 |

Comments:

Though its a straight forward execution, I quite like the concept and overall play of this game. The puzzle design worked quite well with the multiple weight stages, and I liked that there was a use for more than just fat/not fat, though I would have liked to see more being done with this granularity.

The art design and level design were good. The number of animations for all of the weight stages were impressive, and the music fit very well with the theme. The platformer physics were also well done, overall good job!

S&S Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 275 |

| Concept/Design | 1310 |

| Msc: | 120 |

| Total: | 21940 |

Comments:

Squirrel Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 210 |

| Writing: | 100 |

| Concept/Design | 1380 |

| Msc: | 150 |

| Total: | 21990 |

Comments:

I really enjoyed the Mario-esque gameplay with the tiny version being able to jump higher and the largest being able to move thing but not move as well. It was a great use of mechanics and added a nice layer of thought on how to approach levels. A good, solid submission, I hope there’s more levels planned!

Scores

Art: 1381

Writing: 110

Sound: 813

Design: 6225

Total: 109204