Solo play? Anyone doing it?

Just curious if there are any people doing solo play of the expansion content for TTRPGs available online. I see a lot of posts looking for groups or people to play with, but I think there are some of us who don’t have time or privacy perhaps to play these expansion oriented TTRPG add-ons with people online but perhaps can do some solo adventuring. So I wanted to know if anyone is solo playing.
If anyone is solo playing, how are you doing it, in what systems and with what modules/tools?

As for me I have been playing Javelin’s Castle solo, using Mythic GME do decide on what and how the group acts. It has worked surprisingly well given that the adventure has a clear start and finish but with some random and open-ended aspects thrown into it. It’s quite fun to sort of play out these slightly randomized dungeon crawl “simulations” and see if the party makes it through the adventure this time or ends up larger than they started.

I would love to hear how you people solo play (if you do that is).

Oh I did a smidge of solo play about a year ago now. It was my first (and for now my only) time, so I looked at mythic, but wound up mostly using the solo adventure’s toolbox on anyflip. Sadly, seems like the file 's been taken down now. I had fun though. Just kinda built up circumstances to drop my fursona into from scratch with the generation rolls and started messing around. Not a ton came of it, though I did go to a dungeon in search of gold to pay off a debt. Generated a 2D sidescrolling setup with https://davesmapper.com/
said map

Originally I wanted to use the oracle for the world and characters and combat would be handled by a non-dnd system I found, but it was a complete flop; so I ditched it and went back to 5e, improvising all the weird kinky stuff I wanted to get up to on the fly. Of witch there was relatively little. Got my ass kicked by a giant bat and gobbled up some slimes, raided a library, haggled with a minion. It was fun but I kinda ran out of steam after like, two sessions total. If I do it again, I think I want to run either a premade adventure like you did, or run it with a co-dm/player. Might be fun to make all the rolls just out on the table, (TTsim or otherwise) and hash out what they mean, if we want anything else, ect. I think it not being such a Thing that we need to Think About and Prepare For will make it easier, thats kinda been the killer of this sort of thing for me and my friends in the past. Not a ton of budget for it, mentally, chronologically and especially monetarily. The potential is there though.

I do a bit of solo play, partially as a way to play test stuff before introducing it to the proper playtesters. Though one thing I’ve been developing is a small little collection of solo rules/tables, a simple oracle system using either a D6 or even fudge dice as those are something I’ve been messing with as of late.

But what I’ve ‘also’ been developing are “Co-Op” rules, where two players kind of play together by interchanging playing NPC’s and their own characters, doing the hidden rolls and so on. Allows for a more intimate game.

Still tempted to basically include these ‘co-op’ rules in the release of my new ruleset.

3 Likes

I’d be interested in a less uh… expensive. ruleset! and maybe one slight tailored to fetish play too. there’s clearly at least a few people who would use them

1 Like

Would love to see if you got any material to show. Sounds like you got a good concept going there.

I can help with that real quick.
First, I use oracle dice, though I also have a Quick D6 Oracle that I use whenever I have a vague ‘yes no’ answer and to add certain complications. Having “And” adds something to the initial answer, and “But” adds a complication to that answer. Though I’ve been enjoying using a pair of different colored Fudge Dice so that there’s a possibility for a ‘Neutral’ answer of Idontknow for situations where thats a possibility.
Though here’s my ‘quick D6 oracle’

Oracle Dice Results

1. No And
  2. No
  3. No But
  4. Yes But
  5. Yes
  6. Yes And

Anything further it really depends on the setting, if its got furries or not, setting, environment. Though a good way of making quick contextual ‘random charts’ is to make a simple D6 ‘scale’, especially when it comes to things like enviroment, population, that kind of thing. Basically go from 1 being ‘very little to none’ and 6 being ‘a whole lot’.

“How big is the society” roll 2. Alright, not ‘non existent’ so its probably a small town. How populated is it though? roll 5. For a small town its ‘VERY’ populated, almost crowded.

“Maybe there’s a party going on” rolls fate No But… Not a party, but its clearly some sort of event happening.

I’ll note, there is one table I always use, which is the NPC personality table, which fits with just about any scenario, I’ll just plop it down here as its easy to just randomly roll for some character that you might be interacting in a non violent way. It’s a D60 table, as in you roll a D6 for the 10’s place and a D10 for the 1’s place.

D6-D10 table
Table 1: NPC Modifier
10.superfluous
11.inept
12.pleasant
13.Lethargic
14.jovial
15.Insensitive
16.Defiant
17.shrewd
18.Logical
19.Obnoxious
20.Insightful
21.destitute
22.Wicked
23.Oblivious
24.Fanatic
25.romantic
26.lazy
27.Refined
28.paranoid
29.Unreasonable
30.Pessimistic
31.Childish
32.alluring
33.Skilled
34.scholarly
35.Pious
36.Uneducated
37.optimistic
38.Lively
39.Meek
40.affluent
41.Helpful
42.Cultured
43.Idealistic
44.Indifferent
45.Revolting
46.mindless
47.Fickle
48.Curious
49.passionate
50.Docile
51.Elderly
52.Touchy
53.devoted
54.Coarse
55.Cheery
56.Sinful
57.Needy
58.Foolish
59.Pragmatic
60.Naive
61.Dignified
62.Cunning
63.Privileged
64.Pushy
65.dependable
66.Glum
67.righteous
68.Corrupt
69.confident

4 Likes

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but I didn’t want to post a new one on the same topic and I have things to contribute! First off, I’m currently trying to create my own solo role-playing system (after a good chunk of time being disappointed by the systems currently in existence) and so I have a lot of free or pay-what-you-want solo tools I can offer from what research I’ve done.

The most basic thing you’ll need to run a solo game is an oracle. The one @PhealGud posted is considered the “basic” oracle, and is a variation on the Freeform Universal RPG oracle (which is both free and very functional for solo play), but there are more. Particular stand-outs for me are “The Oracle” (which uses playing cards, and is thus particularly suited to the myriad variations on Alone Among the Stars which exist) and “GEMulator” by Moritz Rönnfeldt (which is a PWYW system including a similar “lists of characters and plot-points” mechanism as Mythic).

Combining the “Hook Dice” system from Tristan Stasiulis with the GEMulator is a low-cost equivalent to Mythic, and you can pull tables from all sorts of solo oracles to fill them out as needed. My personal favorite so far has been the VISORPG-Z and its various sub-books, which although in beta form are actually really good references.

Weirdly enough, I’ve only found a single game in the solo-rpg concept explicitly built around adult content - Traveling the Planes of Desire - and it is entirely focused on BDSM and horror-fetish topics. Not too terribly difficult to just rewrite the chart based upon your interests though.

3 Likes