Someone Tried to Make A Sonic 2 XL Take on Mario 2/USA

A DeviantArt user who I can’t name right now tried his hand at making a ROM Hack of Super Mario Bros. 2 a.k.a. Super Mario USA on NES with the intent of implementing gimmicks from the ROM Hack, Sonic 2 XL, but to Princess Peach only rather than all four characters. But, due to technical limitations of the NES, he decided to drop the project and make a GIF animation instead.

Edit: After starting this, I started to remember an idea I once had for a Flash animation, prior to Flash being discontinued, using the All-Stars versions of game assets where after she plucked a vegetable, Peach would eat it, and repeat the process with each vegetable plucked, with Mario, Luigi, and Toad helping as she got fatter, with the three not just plucking vegetables, but also moving her around, with the animation finishing with Peach eating endlessly from the Dream Machine in Wart’s room, forcing Wart to leave out of frustration due to not just her gluttony, but also Peach being completely immune to the bubbles he spat out (with the only non-game sounds not just being the voiceclips of the four playable characters lifted from other Mario games, but also a humorous voice clip taken from the SpongeBob episode SquidBob TentaclePants where a fish, in response to Squidward’s cacophonous clarinet playing having blown his flesh off after Squidward and SpongeBob’s successful separation by Sandy, “ragequits” before everyone else in the audience in the stands joins him), before it’s revealed at the end to be a dream by Peach herself, just like how the events of the game were a dream by Mario. Unfortunately, due to Flash’s discontinuation and my inexperience with the now-defunct free Flash creator, Vectorian Giotto, the closest thing to my vision is another GIF animation made by a different DeviantArt user where, after becoming her Super height, every mushroom after the first one that Peach comes in contact with makes her fatter until she’s immobilized.

they might have greater luck trying to do a hack of the SNES or GBA ports instead

1 Like

Yeah. Speaking of SNES, I recommended the user who wanted to make it about the possibility of using a custom engine using the Yoshi’s Island source code (due to sprites increasing in size without constraints using the Super FX technology) and some homebrew tools. Problem is, neither the user, myself, or anyone on this site has any idea on how to find, let alone use, said source code.

Hmm? If it’s okay to ask, why can’t you name them? I’ll drop it if you don’t want to say.

Do you WANT to get in trouble with kilif and the Weight Gaming staff like I did when I posted in a Starbound Big Fatties addon?!? Huh?!?

that would’ve been awesome.

To clarify, there is no rules against crediting or naming people in your posts as long as

1. You are not doxing user in question
  2. You are not insulting the user

Both of these are violations of our Always Be Civil rule. If you have any questions or want us to clarify any rules feel free to DM any of our @staff

Thanks, gl2. Anyway, the user in question who wanted to make the ROM Hack goes by the name of echoednewt on DeviantArt. He previously made a GIF based on Peach’s victory animation from the Japan-only Mobile Golf for Game Boy Color (which was also the last non-port appearance of Foreman Spike, by the way), and the other user that made the GIF of Peach getting fatter after becoming Super is named PenguinTDM.

That TDM immediately made me think of The Diamond Minecraft. But that’s Dan, not Penguin. XD

OH MY GOD! THAT ANIMATION YOU MENTIONED IS CUTE AS FUCK! UTTERLY PRECIOUS! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

Hmm, Can’t find any Peach gif(or a gif of ANYONE for that matter) on PenguinTDM’s deviantART. Was it on another site? Or did you misremember(or did they delete it)?

Didn’t misremember. But, I do remember him having a similar GIF of his OC, in the same art style as Peach in the mentioned GIF (named Princess Peach Grow, by the way), also getting fattened to immobility.

EDIT: There was even an animated GIF/comic called Peach’s Cake that predated PenguinTDM’s GIFs and used mostly sprites from the Super Mario All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros. 3 with the exception of Peach’s own sprite from the Game Boy Advance version of SMB3 and both the cakes she was offered in the comic itself. The comic, made by the DeviantArt user CalamityCreations, shows Bowser being worried about Peach’s crying and trying to make it up to her by giving her a cake, with Peach suggesting a bigger cake before Bowser realizes that Mario’s coming. After Bowser’s defeat, Mario is shocked to see how fat Peach became while big bites were taken out of the cakes themselves between Bowser’s defeat and Mario’s rescue of Peach. I think there was also one more thing showing a fat Peach edited from the All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros. 2 that wasn’t on DeviantArt, but rather on a different site altogether. The edited Peach sprite in question was the front-facing one from the character select screen, and there was also a sprite of a side-facing Mario standing next to her. The site that the image came from (as far as I could remember) was somewhat dedicated to the Shy Guy enemies from Super Mario Bros. 2 and its Japan-only base, Doki Doki Panic. I remember seeing it in (I think) 2006, the year where the first trailer for Super Smash Bros. Brawl dropped at E3 before Peach herself was later revealed for the game, as her reveal came after the simultaneous reveal of Zelda and Bowser, before the game’s launch in 2008.

do you have the comic and animated gif??

I kind of have the link to the original GIF I brought up: https://www.deviantart.com/echoednewt/art/SMB2XL-875597773

well, deviantart is blocked on my computer, what i’m basically saying is, if you have the GIF or comic

This is an immeasurably worrying statement.