Spacethumper 2

Discord server? How do I join it?

1 Like

go to Chubberdyā€™s profile, and click the FA link, then it should be the featured journal on it

1 Like

Speaking of Chubberdyā€™s FA, there was also this pic posted recently of a particularly heavyset Pilot occupying a freight elevator. I wonder if that has anything to do with this announcement? Could be unrelated of course but you never know.

2 Likes

YYYYYEEEESSSSSSSSSS. Loved the first one. Put so many hours into one save file. Got so big couldnā€™t even tell what was on the body.

1 Like

oh and @Chubberdy when this one is ready for testing, i would love to be able to be one of the play testers for it

1 Like

What will be the major differences between the second and first part? New Mechanics, bigger sizes ect?

1 Like

Bigger sizes would likely mean having to deal with more sprites. I donā€™t think itā€™s a good idea since that means more pixel work for Chubberdy. Iā€™m fine with the current sizes.

Iā€™m fairly certain mechanics wouldnā€™t change much, but again, who knows? Seeing as itā€™s the sequel, Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s going to be new concepts to learn.

2 Likes

I might have to take you up on that at some point, Iā€™m actually drawing some inspiration from your HD sprites for the updates!

Iā€™m probably going to do what I did for Spacethumper 1 and just post progress updates once I have something thatā€™s relatively stable, so playtesting will be open for all.

The sprites on the left are the old, on the right are the new.

Nah, I just like drawing her big.

The core ideas of the game are going to remain the same, but pretty much everything else is going to be a bit more refined/in depth. Iā€™ll be going over specifics in that regard in some standalone dev notes.

17 Likes

If you would like to brain storm ideas for possible mechanics, game balancing balancing and how they could be implemented feel free to DM me.

I normally would offer active coding help but, I am not sure I could help on that front, because I mainly use Godot and I am not well versed in other game engines and you seem well versed in what your are doing.

1 Like

hello, I love the project you are doing, if one day you need help you know that we are all with you.

By the way, chronologically, where is the history of this, before or after the planet, or is it a rebot.

do not feel pressured take your time because I love what you do.

1 Like

Heh, I had assumed. Though it did make me wonder if it could be a possible CG asset for some sequel - an intro sequence perhaps where she delivers a debrief, still huge from her previous ordeal.

4 Likes

One thing I might like to see is maybe changing the format from a sidescroller to a top down view like with Growing Port Lee. No offense but the gameplay in the first game became a little one dimensional after the first playthrough (In the literal sense that you could only move left and right) and I think a top down view gives for more interesting options for base building.

1 Like

Considering that it would completely change just about all the groundwork Iā€™ve done so far thatā€™s not happening. Honestly if I was going to go that route I would probably just make a Factorio mod.

5 Likes

a factorio mod of just making someone fat would go so hard to be fairā€¦ i really need to learn game maker or something and see if i cant hammer out something similarā€¦ not in factorio

1 Like

Despite it being what I use for games I would advise against gamemaker at this point, if only because I hate that theyā€™re subscription only unless you want to publish on opera gx. I managed to get my copy before they started doing that fortunately. Iā€™ve heard pretty good things about Godot though.

5 Likes

noted, cheers for the tip

1 Like

One of the bigger changes in moment to moment gameplay is going to be how buildings use power. Where formerly all you had to do was give enough power to construct the building, now buildings must be continuously supplied. Good news though! Power can be transferred from generators to adjacent buildings, so you donā€™t have to constantly stand next to everything supplying energy. Constructing still has to be done manually though, no automation for that.
And with the new power requirements come some new menus to see how things are doing. Now you can see the exact rate both the buildings (and the player) are sending and receiving power.

My main motive for this change was noticing that people didnā€™t have much reason to use the various power sources beyond whatever was the fastest, thereā€™s a couple other things Iā€™m doing to make power sources more situational but just having to use more than 1-3 is a good start.

16 Likes

Once you got thermal power, the solar and wind generators were basically pointless, so this seems like a good change. Just as an idea, what if you needed power to start up the fusion reactor for the first time, make it less of an ā€œI winā€ building as soon as you can afford it.

1 Like

The menu to make the objects is very good since it could confuse a bit.

question: will more objects be added to increase the weight or will it continue the same as the first game

2 Likes

Fusion reactors are going to need crystals as fuel this time around, so definitely a big cost/benefit analysis of if the power is worth it.

Right now itā€™s going to stay as the generators doing it.

4 Likes