Spacethumper 2

Nope, as fun as it was for the first one the hitbox issues just make it too annoying to deal with this time around.

I’ll be doing idle animations this time around, yes.

Originally I was going to do that, but splitting the power up between the larger buildings ended up being more complicated than I wanted for the game.

There are going to be three types of platform, one that only allows small buildings, one that allows buildings that cover multiple tiles, and one that allows platforms to be placed on them along with larger buildings.

Attack the lowest platform/building and collapse the whole thing, at least for ground based enemies. I’m planning on adding ones that will attack from the top though.

Bigger, more expensive freight elevator pretty much.

The idle ones are pretty similar what with the heavy breathing as you get above a certain weight, she doesn’t look quite as tired this time around because I figured she would have gotten more accustomed to it by the time the second game rolls around.

I’m still not sure how I’m going to handle the slime nests exactly, my initial thought was that it could be like the early creeper world games where you just have so much fire power around the spawn point that nothing can really get out, but who knows, that’ll probably change once I do some actual work on the enemies.

Yup, that was one of the easier things to port over, there’s even some advanced volume sliders so you can adjust how loud they are relative to the other sfx.

5 Likes

Looking forward to this one. Is there going to be more dialogue and character interactions in the sequel? The writing of those short conversations really tied the previous entry together.

6 Likes

So what’s our main motivation for building things nice and tall? Will there be something we will need to build up there, like a telescope or a satellite dish?

1 Like

I’m glad that to see that belly sounds are getting their own slider

2 Likes

I’m planning on it, yeah.

Mostly being able to fit more stuff in a smaller footprint, but there’s also going to be varying heights of ground to build up to.

6 Likes

And thank god for that, last time i played i got decimated by a endless wall of slime. It was a nightmare

1 Like

I don’t remember that part in game, was that inflation or weight gain? Also where did it say that?

1 Like

There’s some dialogue about it after prestiging once if I remember correctly. Her suit uses her body as an impromptu battery by converting energy into body fat and vice versa, but her actual stomach is completely unaltered. She doesn’t eat once the entire time she’s on the planet, and presumably not on the way there or the way back, either (unless you consider the max weight ending after prestiging once canon since she finally gets the meatball sub she was thinking about towards the end. )

I suppose eating the slimes could lean either way depending on how Chubberdy wants to do it, if they plan on it at all. I’d personally be fine with some more inflation-centric content, seeing as how the rest of the game is focused on WG, but it’s ultimately their call.

While I’m here, I do have some nerdy suit-related questions for @Chubberdy because I have an unhealthy fascination with overanalyzing things that aren’t meant to be overanalyzed.

• What would happen if Pilot were to remove her suit after using it to store a bunch of power? Would the extra flab just stay on her until she either burns it off normally or puts the suit back on?
  • Similarly, if Pilot were to gain a bunch of weight the normal way, could that natural weight be converted into power?
  • Is her ability to transmit/receive power a part of the suit or a part of her body? I remember some dialog after prestiging about her now being essentially immune to electric shocks, the implication being that she would simply absorb it. Is that only when the suit is being worn or can she just do that now?
  • I think 5en mentioned something about altering Pilot’s biology (it’s been a while since I’ve played through the game, so I can’t remember exactly). Does this mean that if anyone else wears Pilot’s suit, it wouldn’t work for them, since they aren’t set up to be a fattery?
5 Likes

Ah, a fellow over-analyzing the gaining method connoisseur I see! I’ve thought about this a bit and I think I’ve got at least a semi-consistent way for the whole thing to work.

• The fat you get from the suit is more energy dense version of regular fat, so it would take way longer to work off if you took the suit off than regular weight.
  • Conversely, regular fat could be burned off but doesn’t provide that much energy so the suit isn’t set to do so (would basically be like trying to use wet leaves instead of coal in a furnace).
  • Not everyone can use a suit as effectively, but something on the planet ramps up what you can do. Obviously species that don’t have fat as their energy storage method wouldn’t be able to use a suit without a ton of reconfiguration since their bodies aren’t built for it.
  • Pilot is unique in that she’s the only one who has undergone (and probably will ever undergo) the whole process that made her like 3 times bigger (volume wise), which did involve converting some of the machinery into biomass. She doesn’t know it yet (because who goes around touching live wires in their spare time?) but she doesn’t actually need the suit now to absorb energy. She definitely would still need it to vent energy right now because where’s the vent energy muscle/nerve/whatever?

I think that covers all your questions, I’m probably going to spend some time today thinking about it more in depth though.

18 Likes

Neat, fresh Spacethumper lore!

4 Likes

Oh man if the pilot doesn’t need the suit anymore i hope one of the alternate outfits/skins is the casual wear on her ref sheet because it looks great

4 Likes

On the thought of using elevation to reach higher points of ground, would that mean possibly implementing limited resources (like say only 2000 crystals on the lowest level, thus requiring you to move up to get more), or there being a heirarchy of resources like a special type of crystal near the mid-to-high range that allows you to research and/or build more complex structures?

Also, if the intended goal is to progress upward at the very least just to access higher plateaus (and any other locations if added, like say caves), are there any plans for a building or extremely-fat-accessible tram to better move from one end to another to handle threats at defensive borders? I’d imagine it’d be hard to handle certain situations well when the pilot is moving at a snail’s pace with a belly bigger than her and having to deal with potentially multiple floors and layers of buildings.

Anything in mind like a railcart that takes energy or crystals to speed off to designated stops if that’s at all possible to make in the game, an on-command speed boost in a similar vein which can also use crystals or extra energy like thrusters built into the suit, or maybe a teleport system where you can make A to B linked buildings? Or would the intended goal and balance be based around just base player mobility and whether or not to run to an area slowly with a full fat bod of energy or burn it all in some manner to run there quickly? Apologies on the long questions, I don’t know the full scale of the game yet so I don’t know if it warrants alternative transportation options

3 Likes

Are generic humans and other species who use adipose tissue as energy reserves are also able to be affected by this, or is it specific to her species? If the latter, how easy would it be to reconfigure your body to be able to do this?

Will we learn what causes the planet to boost this ability of the suit in the next game?

So how did this happen? How did she acquire this ability? Does the suit still amplify her ability to do this or has she become able to do it at suit level effectiveness now without the suit?

1 Like

There’s the possibility that with that last point, that it could be like Charles Darwin’s theory in adaptive evolution in a rapid and unstable environment. It would make sense with the current lore and setting and it would make sense from a genetic angle

3 Likes

Wait, was it revealed who made the suit for Pilot?

1 Like

I’m gonna say anything that has fat or some other fat-like energy storage could do it, and that the ability to do it is mostly dependent on whether or not you’ve got a suit configured to your body.

Possibly, I’ll have to see where the plot leads me this time around.

It happened from the process for the first prestige, which is the canon carrying into the second game. Basically that whole embiggening process involved converting some of the machinery that was built into mass, with the side effect being that some of that energy transferring tech is infused into her body at a molecular level. The suit won’t amplify it, it’s just the same process, but now it can happen with or without the suit.

The suit just started as a standard suit with the ability to transfer power to run personal equipment/tools, Sen modified it to be able to convert input energy to fat.

8 Likes

A quick question, if I may.
I recently lost all spritework I did for my Ahsoka edit to a hard drive error.
Should I restart my work with the original game’s sprites, or wait until the sequel is out? (I know it’s at least a few months away for a “play test” build)

Also, how will the custom sprite sheet system be made “more robust”? I feel it is fine as it is. Perhaps we will be able to edit structures as well?

4 Likes

I think your changes are significant enough that you can go with editing the original sprites. The major things I’m planning on doing is stuff like breaking out the shadows and head into separate pieces so that you can just layer things for those that prefer that.
Buildings for the time being will not be editable, mostly because right now they have different amounts of frames/different speeds in the actual animations that I feel would be frustrating to work with, as well as stuff like the turrets having multiple different sprites that would have to be replaced. Not to mention that it’s more trouble than it’s worth considering how many people want to put their OCs in vs people who want to draw buildings.

7 Likes

Exciting to hear a sequel in the works, looks like it is changing up the gameplay in an interesting direction! With the way the platforms and terrain are described it definitely sounds like the new base building options will be fun.

Kinda sad that it wont have full texture pack support still, but it sounds like it would be asking a lot for a niche little thing like that.

6 Likes

Idea for a feature: some sort of “desperation” move, like an energy pulse that’ll clear all enemies and delay the next wave, but also have a detrimental side effect, like costing a lot of energy or crystals, or destroying/damaging buildings. Useful if your defenses aren’t sufficient and you have the resources but not the time to upgrade them quickly enough. Also, question: Will different characters play in different ways? Like, different game mechanics, playstyles, that kinda thing?

5 Likes