Spacethumper

Loving this as usual, though I’ve noticed one thing: You can continue to “upgrade” a turret after it’s fully upgraded. The only issue is that the regular upgrade bar appears and fills up despite not doing anything.

the way repairing walls works now makes it is faster and cheaper to destroy a damaged wall and rebuild it. I let one fully upgraded wall get almost completely destroyed and tried to repair it but I ran out of energy (with a fully upgraded and charged suit). this might be true about other buildings as well but I didn’t test it

V0.3.1

Going to have to rejigger things a bit to avoid the above rebuilding being cheaper than repairing permanently, but I’ve at least alleviated most of the recent set of bugs/issues. I’ll be addressing the causes of some of them in another comment.

-healing buildings is now a lot cheaper and a little faster
-reduced energy cost of walls
-research/upgrade menus are now accessed by pressing down, and the last option of each is to destroy the building (these buildings were not healable)
-updated wall sprites
-turned the research station around
-updated turret sprites
-higher level turrets now do more damage
-turret mk. 2 now properly upgrades to turret mk. 3

1 Like

I wasn’t able to reproduce this unfortunately, and I’m not quite sure what an error on line -1 means, but hopefully that was a one time occurance.

Turns out I actually the pointers for mk. 2 and mk. 3 turrets as the same thing, so any time I was asking for the data for a mk. 3 turret it was giving the data for mk. 2s, meaning they would just upgrade into themselves.

1 Like

Sometimes crystals turn into a bottleneck—suppose you could spend energy while standing on the miner to speed up output?

Yeah, crystal gathering might need some tweaking. It sometimes turns into a really long waiting game for them once you start to upgrade your suit and get the research for the reactors. Maybe we could get another crystal mining spot or maybe a way to manually do it like happytpr said?

the blobs aren’t the smartest bunch. they have been sitting there for quite some time

I get the feeling that it will be really hard to balance the combat where it’s a challenge but not impossible. since all you can do is put up a wall and 2-3 turrets, so if the blobs can get through that there isn’t much you can do. is the player supposed to take a more active role in combat?

edit: if you don’t have any energy and hold up then you run slower for some reason

What i expect to happening was at the higher weight levels you’ll get a hover chair or something but who knows i’m not the dev that is entirely up to them.

1 Like

I found another bug. after building a fully upgraded stream generator and letting the blobs destroy it it left a “building” where the extension used to be. now the blobs try to attack that piece of nothing and I can destroy it if I like

edit: it happened with the fusion reactor as well
edit2: it seems like there was one of those fake buildings under the robot

Are some upgrades impossible to get at the moment?

yes
extra text for post to go through

By the way, what’s her name? She’s f. ADORABLE!!

Nom Nom Galaxy. Just start selling s words and guns with finite durability and ammo, which are expected to be used against the actually hard waves which have a warning beforehand. It’s better than no ideas, so there.

That’s actually a pretty neat idea. I might also add in more crystal and steam spots as well just to diversify the map a bit.

Nah, I wasn’t planning on having combat be too involved since the game isn’t going to be too long. They’re mostly there to provide small sub-objectives of defending your base while you build up your energy production and research. I might add in more enemy/turret variety at some point though, right now they’re mostly just different speeds/health. Speaking of which!

I’ve added in some different slime colors and sizes.

Nope, no hover chair, just big stompin’ the whole time.

Ah yes, the right half of a building placeholder. Forgot that I would need to make those work with enemies, that’ll be fixed in the next build.

Yeah, right now I’m just capping the weight limit since the sprites aren’t ready yet and changing all the upgrade caps would be a little tedious.

Right now no name, I’ll have to think one up at some point.

2 Likes

Big stompin sounds cooler and i look forward to it

2 Likes

I had a thought for a possible game feature. Besides damaging structures, maybe slimes could do one of the common things they do in expansion content, and fill up the character as well? Either being filled up blocks off some of your energy bar until it’s cleared out, but later on you could get an upgrade that negates that and even lets you gain energy by damaging/killing slimes?

2 Likes

Just an idea I know the turrets are the ones meant to kill foes but why not give the player an emergency attack of some sort that’s upgradeable but expensive both in use and upgrading it. What I was thinking was the first version of it, does no damage and just knocks foes back and eats a set percentage of energy like 80 of it, mainly to de-stack foes. perhaps the upgrade’s lets it do a small amount of damage and reduces the cost slightly.

I bought all possible upgrades and stockpiled almost 200000 crystals.

1 Like

The blocking off of your energy bar does sound like an interesting idea, maybe there can be a special slime that does that.

Right now you do damage enemies using energy if you get close to them, and you can upgrade it under suit repulsor strength, but knockback might be an interesting idea.

That’s a ton of crystals.

1 Like

Suggestions/opinions:

1. Cap overall max movement speed, so we’re not zipping around at a million MPH when we have a ton of speed upgrades and we’re low on energy.
  2. Maybe add an effect of some kind to show that we’re giving/taking energy from something? IDK if it’d be easier for a sci-fi trail of energy, or a cable that zips out and connects to you on the fly. (NGL, I didn’t realize we had to stand on top of generators to receive energy at first, I built a bunch of solar panels thinking it was buffing power gen by like x1.001)
  3. Make the fusion/steam generator 2’s outputs extend from the right side, too, not just the left half
  4. Flying enemies that go over walls?
  5. Replace the personal zap attack with, IDK, eating the slimes. Probably damages your max energy for a little while, or dings your movement speed. (Maybe temporarily raises you a weight size, complete with lowered speed, despite not actually helping give energy?)
  6. I’m seconding that suggestion someone had, where we could dump our excess energy into production building(s) to make them work faster, and to give the player more things to do.
  7. Day/night cycle? Buff wind turbines to work 24/7 and make them more consistent, and make solar panels only work during the day, but generate more power. As of right now, I literally never use wind, TBH.
  8. Maybe a button to discharge energy manually? My stuff was all spread far apart, and being maxed at one end of the map made travel a pain.
  9. Realtalk, I have no clue what the steam generator is for, we get plenty of power from other sources, and being placed so far out made it nearly useless.
1 Like