Steam Release! Yippee!

I posted it on FA at the same time I posted it here. I don’t think it notified you though, since I didn’t realize you had a FA account and didn’t tag you originally. I updated it just now to add Dewey’s name.

Eating the stage seems like an interesting concept… Maybe an item that gives 1 lb for every 20 blocks broken?

2 Likes

I dunno about you guys, but I’m finding this hard as balls :joy:. Still haven’t made it to the cake section. I do appreciate that the meat stage isn’t quite the mad scramble like the dairy stage is, however the little weenie enemies I find aggravating for two reasons:

1. They have an odd hitbox that makes jumping on them risky. I’ve injured myself on them a number of times and it’s not exactly clear why.

2. They seem to chase the player for quite a ways. I learned this the hard way when I had one randomly drop on me from far above down a shaft I had carved myself. I’ll admit that I swore rather loudly after that kamikaze kabanos ended my run :sob:

I dunno if it’s an easier time to repeat the stage directly. Yes it’s sans upgrades but that is offset by not having a chaotic descent into spikes/explosive hot sauce. Taking it slow is fine, but I tend to cock it up by the third stage (typically due to those irritating weenies or getting boxed in by hot sauce).

1 Like

My only issue is that after I went through all the sections and started going through them again in the same run, I got stuck in the vegetable section because I was too big and I couldn’t break the tiles under me due to them being hard tiles

1 Like

Been playing this a bit more and had a few thoughts (forgive me for my lack of organization):

Summary
  • Hitboxes are definitely my biggest issue with the game. I understand that it’s difficult to get things to stay consistent with a constantly expanding character, but there’s a sort of grey area around 500ish punds where it feels like the belly bump hitbox is inside the sprite as opposed to slightly in front of it. I’ve taken damage from the basic inchworming baguettes/carrots because my hitbox was in a different spot than I thought it was.
  • I feel like taking damage should have a specific indicator, maybe some red around the edges of the screen? Dewey flashing while they’re invincible works until you consider the food invincibility item, which makes them flash in the exact same manner as if they’d just taken damage.
  • Vaguely related to the above point, I think items should display their actual names when Dewey stands in front of them, in addition to what they do. When you’re exchanging and/or eating items, all you have to go on is the name, and it’s possible to give away an item you didn’t want to just because there’s no reliable way of matching the name to the image.
  • The exploding eggplant trees in the vegetable stage are just weird. I’ve been in situations where I’ve tried to belly bump an enemy, only for the enemy to take no damage and the tree in the background to activate instead.
  • I’ve seen various things overlapping each other a lot. Hearts and food items will frequently generate inside unbreakable blocks, non-exploding trees can cover other things up, and the green lump things often generate with two in the same spot.
  • This is a very, very minor thing, but I feel like Dewey should be able to stomp the spiky crawlers while they’re invincible. With how brief invincibility is in most situations, what’ll happen is they’ll land harmlessly next to them, the invincibility will wear off, and they’ll take damage anyway. You can belly bump them during this time if you’re quick enough, but belly bumping gets weird when there’s multiple potential targets. More on this in the next point.
  • Something is just… off… with the way belly bumping works. Apparently the enemies in this game play Among Us frequently, because they seem to have adopted the stacking technique from that game. Belly bumping will only kill one of the stacked enemies, allowing the other to get a free hit in before the cooldown resets.
  • In addition to getting too big to make it through the stage, as other people have mentioned, sometimes the vaults can generate in tandem with other formations in such a way that progress is completely blocked off. In one case, I was on the right edge of the screen with a vault to my left and a spike floor beneath me. I couldn’t jump out since the wall of the vault was too tall, so I ended up having to restart. There wasn’t even a one-block gap I could slip through, it was just completely enclosed.

Whoaugh. Apparently I had a lot of thoughts. Sorry if this is a lot to read! I’m gonna go back and slap a dropdown on it so it doesn’t take up the entire page.

2 Likes

Well it took me a few hours but I’ve managed to go through a full run of the game, kinda funny to go from not being able to beat all the levels to “stop playing”.

Overall it was pretty fun! A simple concept that works well because it stays simple.
Though there was still a decent amount of frustration too when I tried to beat all levels only through shortcuts.

While getting items to snowball the run can trivialize everything, using checkpoints goes the other extreme, leaving you at the mercy of everything, even more if the shop doesn’t want to show up.
While the balance patch definitely helped with level 4, outside of the jumping sausage enemies still being awkward to deal with, level 5 was a bit too crazy I’d say.

I lost count of how many times I got hit by lasers coming from off screen right at the worst time, the many donuts single handedly make 5-1 harder than 5-2 and 5-3.
I feel like there shouldn’t be as many of them, or they should at least have a limit to how they can attack from off screen.

2 Likes