Sweet Dreams - A Tasteful RPG Made For Sega Genesis

I am blow away just.
Wow.
I really hope you continue this.

Also, question.
Why a ROM? Like, legit question.

1 Like

Thank you, we will!

As for why a Sega Genesis ROM, it’s just something I really felt like doing at the time. We considered doing it in RPG Maker for a bit, but I just never clicked with it. I wanted to practice my C programming skills, I just straight up started writing my own engine for the Genesis since that’s what I have set up. It turned out to be quicker to just write everything I needed than learn how to do it in another engine. It was really really fun, as well!

3 Likes

Gave this a go, and I can solidly say the team did REALLY GOOD. Looking forward to what you guys are cooking up next

1 Like

That’s just downright fantastic!
Hope everything runs smoothly!

I quite enjoy this game, especially since the game is playable on android

Grotlover2 Score

| Category | Total |

| —: | :–|

| Basics: | 20000 |

| Art: | 355 |

| Writing: | 300 |

| Concept/Design | 1030 |

| Msc: | 200 |

| Total: | 22075 |

Comments:

I have to admit, for how short it is this is a very well polished RPG. It gives me a feeling of undertale crossed with Earthbound in its feel and tone. The sound design is also excellent. It also helps to enforce that undertale/Earthbound feel but also reminded me of Meteoroid Fusion with some of the tracks used. The art style is also consistent and very well done feeling both retro but high quality at the same time with interesting character designs. And while it is not factored into our scoring, kudos for making it a genesis game. That being said, my largest complaint is the fact the game is to short to get a good read on any of the mechanics. I think I see what the team might be going for but there is not enough there yet to know for sure. I really hope to see this continued though as it has quite a lot of potential behind it.

Jux Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 348 |

| Writing: | 283 |

| Concept/Design | 920 |

| Msc: | 130 |

| Total: | 21866 |

Comments:

First of all: witchcraft. Second of all, I think I would have liked to see more outcomes. I played through a few times, to try different things - to try and break things basically - and ultimately you’re forced along one path in the battle. It has the basis for interesting mechanics that i can see, but it does not play a ton into the theme. Still it did it enough for me to count as having the theme. Besides that art and music was great. Especially the various size animations. They really gave a good sense of heft.

Kilif Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 355 |

| Writing: | 220 |

| Concept/Design | 270 |

| Msc: | 150 |

| Total: | 21070 |

Comments:

This one hurts to judge, because the ambition to take on porting a game to a SEGA ROM is insane, and clearly a lot of effort and time went into this…but there was one scripted battle that told me nothing about the game that I would argue did not incorporate the theme well enough to get points for it. Yes, you got heavier as you collected the enemy’s attack, but that doesn’t seem to factor into the gameplay in a meaningful way. Had there been more content, maybe this would have been more clear, but as it stands (and I mean this in the nicest possible way) I think your dev time would have been better spent fleshing out a solid concept rather than the novelty of having it play on a genesis. I’d love to see this expanded on as I am in love with the style of the game.

S&S Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 335 |

| Writing: | 275 |

| Concept/Design | 910 |

| Msc: | 100 |

| Total: | 21830 |

Comments:

Squirrel Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 360 |

| Writing: | 310 |

| Concept/Design | 1250 |

| Msc: | 190 |

| Total: | 22300 |

Comments:

A Genesis ROM was the last thing i was expecting someone to come out with let alone have time for in the jam but it’s absolutely a pleasant surprise. The art and music is gorgeous, very much tugging on the heartstrings of nostalgia. The story leaves me begging for more which is honestly the only area where I’m left wanting. It’s short but leaves room for more and I honestly hope there will be. An absolutely beautiful project brimming with wonder and mystery with a pleasant gilding of weight gain. I look forward to seeing where this goes in the future!

Scores

Art: 1753

Writing: 1388

Sound: 850

Design: 4380

Total: 109141

2 Likes