Sweet Mania ♥ [ Short and Adorable Yum's story ]

A cute showcasing of some lovely art ^.^

The screen shaking added a satisfyingly weighty impact to the feeding frenzy.

3 Likes

The cute art style and story are the strong point of this entry!

It is very subtle with the slowness and screen shaking, all until the end of the second level!
An option to set a cap on screen shake could have been a nice addition if the entry was longer.

Overall! it was short and… well SWEET!

We will be waiting for more entries and games from Sillygame in the future, regardless of theme.

3 Likes

What a simple and delightful little game! The completion thresholds are admittedly a little high and getting good food is based a lot on luck, but the adorable presentation certainly does a lot to soften the blow. Great work, you two!

3 Likes

happy

Thanks to all for such a positive feedback!! I’m so happy to hear that! <3

yeah, I think we will change that shake in future a little, honestly, it was in a coding part and we just couldn’t change it in time (because coding required a lot of time to do & test)

Thank you! <3

Thank you so much for the feedback! <3
Food actually has a formula that gives you 100% chance to get enough if you caught all food right! At least one row gives you enough of points to complete the level, but it doesn’t mean that you can stay on only left or only right side to get 50% chance of win, because these rows may change their position after each food drops. Only the third level has a small chance to lose because of unluck, because you become slow and item you need can be generated too far from you; but your hands also become bigger, and this level has bigger item sprites (like cakes), so pretty often you can catсh both items that compensates this!

This formula also doesn’t allow to generate massive of, like, 20 chocolate strawberries or 20 chocolate cakes, because it gives too much points. So you usually lose if you missed more than ~3-5 items.

Cake CakeChoco

Original idea was in quick recognition of which item you should catch, because the difference of points is huge (you get x3 points for chocolate/ketchup version), and shaking on last levels should make it even harder, because the best hamburgers and cakes looks very similar!

2 Likes

The overall style and tone are certainly adorable, and the mechanics are well-crafted. However, there’s an extremely sharp jump in difficulty between the first and second levels. One moment, I’m catching every coated treat with no difficulty, and then everything is suddenly so fast that it feels like I can’t catch them without being clairvoyant. Furthermore, the random positions of items is often the only thing separating a successful attempt from a failed one, especially in the final level.

This was as advertised: short, adorable, and fun! The handling was great, and the difficulty was about right (if slightly above my expectations). I only failed on my first attempt for the first level, and that was because I did not realize you could hold down the arrow keys to move faster. The music would have been a sweet touch, but for some reason the round effect (i.e. overlapping sounds) made it a bit too manic and distracting for me. Your artwork is so distinctive (your FA advertising is quite eye-catching), and the writing was the epitome of cute. Overall, well done!

Thank you all <3 !

Anonymous264170, and I agree with your opinion! I had only 2-3 hours left to finish the soundtrack that was almost impossible, but I still liked it more than melodies from free sources, so decided to keep it, because it helped to highlight the final scene (by keeping the motive, but changing instruments) ^^ I’ve never write for real games before, this game gave me sooo much new experience

3 Likes

Guys, guys! A question!

Is this allowed to add 1.0.1 version to itchio, without removing 1.0.0 and with mentioning somewhere in topic that only 1.0.0 version should be judged, because it’s made for contest and in time?

I can’t wait to update and let other people play, but itchio is only place where this game posted and this topic is my only place where the game is announced uwu I guess I will not create extra topics, so can I edit this one by somehow? (I guess it’s fine, just want to be sure, because I don’t want to get disqualification xD)

1 Like

You could ask the moderators of the forum, but as long as you make that distinction very clear, it should be fine.

2 Likes

cute but pretty difficult

hehe, thanks!
it’s honestly hard to design 3 levels for everyone, because it can be too easy for pro gamers in another case : D I personally can complete any level from first try, everything you need is recognize chocolate/ketchup food or realize that you can catch both sweets!

1 Like

a loophole I found. pause the game when the food drops and you get time to say witch food is the better choice

hi : D do you think, it should be fixed in our game?
I personally don’t mind if game has some cheaty ways to finish it, like cheatcodes or something, because it might help to get all endings if game is too hard. It’s not competition with scores, it’s rather story telling, so I just assume it’s an opportunity if someone don’t want to take a challenge.

the loop hole doesn’t make the game and still needs sometiming. all it does is freeze the food so you can see what to go after. I done that and still failed to get the item becuase it was to far

thanks for feedback! <3

Here’s my let’s play for the game :slight_smile:

1 Like

WOW! I expected that someone will make letsplays and even wanted to suggest this idea, but didn’t expect that our game will get this attention qwq Thank you so much, this is so sweet! :heart: I’m glad you enjoyed!

1 Like

News:

We are still waiting for the Jam results announce, because we decided to create a new topic later and add at least one bonus level :3

What will be changed:

• Speed of level 2
  • Shake effect
  • Some typos
  • Bonus level

Bonus level is like the credits page, but usernames/lil cute faces/chibis of creators and supporters will be falling instead of food.
We didn’t open any donation pools yet, but we are going to do that, so if someone want to become a part of this game - you can wait for news, there will be something ^^ Tiers will not be too expensive.

BY THE WAY, thanks to all for donations, some people supported us through itchio service and it was so kind of you!!! ;w; Please, contact me here or send me a note me on FA if you want to your name will be added to the game in next version! :heart:

2 Likes

Grotlover2 Score

| Category | Total |

| —: | :–|

| Basics: | 20000 |

| Art: | 305 |

| Writing: | 285 |

| Concept/Design | 740 |

| Msc: | 170 |

| Total: | 21585 |

Comments:

I have to say this game is very well but together for how quickly it was built and I have to say I love the art style. There is not much there mechanically but it is fun and I thought the story was very cute. My only main issue with it would be feedback to the player, mainly on the main mechanic of the game of choosing what two of the items you should eat. The amount of weight you gain from each item is not clearly communicated with you having to go to the how to play screen to find out what you should go for. What I would suggest is having a number popup and fade after catching a food item which will help players learn the values as they play and help them self correct during the game. All in all very well polished and fun though, would almost love to see this on mobile.

Jux Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 241 |

| Writing: | 250 |

| Concept/Design | 950 |

| Msc: | 125 |

| Total: | 21736 |

Comments:

Adorable. Very polished and cute. Not much more to add than that.

Kilif Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 250 |

| Writing: | 220 |

| Concept/Design | 560 |

| Msc: | 100 |

| Total: | 21345 |

Comments:

First, I have to say the presentation of this one is adorable. The artwork, the writing, and the music/sfx just come together to make a very polished product that has a wonderfully distinct style.

That being said, the main problem I have is that this did not really use the theme but only in the most technical sense. I think you get slower as you gain weight, and then of course the whole core of the gameplay is stuffing yourself, but I really felt like you could have done more with this. If you took the fetish element out, the gameplay doesn’t signficantly change. I do really like the game, and the presentation is great, but I felt like it missed the point of the theme.

S&S Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 360 |

| Writing: | 250 |

| Concept/Design | 1035 |

| Msc: | 100 |

| Total: | 21970 |

Comments:

Squirrel Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 300 |

| Writing: | 270 |

| Concept/Design | 1130 |

| Msc: | 170 |

| Total: | 22100 |

Comments:

This game was like playing a sweet bed time story, it was full of charm, endearing writing, cute art and characters and the gameplay whilst simple, accompanied it well. I honestly only wish it could be longer! Absolutely adorable submission!

Scores

Art: 1456

Writing: 1275

Sound: 925

Design: 4415

Total: 108736

1 Like