Tainted Elysium Spiritual Successor

You can use some figures or low-poly model as a test sample and finish working on the main code. Then you can call me and I will provide you with a model with all the necessary shape keys.

1 Like

Ok iā€™m back, and iā€™ve got a small update.

Iā€™ve got a rudimentary version of the code in place for the body system. It took me a few days to figure it out but I figured it out before I left work today.

Unrealā€™s media player is terrible, and by extension, playing videos on your hud, especially tracking to specific points in the video (i honestly donā€™t even know if its possible). I took a bit of inspiration from what Vox said about the sprite sheet, but i just put the video in a folder as seperate frames, and with the black magic that is programming, got it to track forwards and backwards to specific spots in the timeline. now all i have to do is hook it up to a weight/belly/anyotherbodypart variable and weā€™re home free.

Iā€™ll work on it more next week when Iā€™m not sleep deprived or at work, and Iā€™ll probably put up a project page soon after.

Iā€™ll also have more to show off soon, since right now the video that I used is just a random set of 30 frames of cyberpunk gameplay that i had recorded lmao.

5 Likes

Are you just working on the visualizer so far, or are you thinking on a narrative and interactions?

Ok so i know im a wee bit late replying and working on this project. Life hits hard sometimes and looking for an apartment in canada is draining and super depressing, so i dont have any rough dates for anything specific. That being said, im trying out javascript instead of unreal since im kinda hyperfixating on it a little bit. Iā€™ll try not to ghost for 2 months again and ill update when i actually get something worth mentioning done.

3 Likes

Iā€™m working on doing both, i want to make sure i can feasibly do the visualiser the way i want to before i do the writing tho.

3 Likes

Ok i have an update. Iā€™m close to being done a small playable demo, hopefully itā€™ll be done by tomorrow night and ill post the demo along with a project page.

Now i need to think of a name. Which im terrible at.

Something cyberpunk/sci fi with the concept of kinks/secual acts worked into it, if anyone wants to help me come up with a name lmao.

6 Likes

Lights of Prurience?

Hmm, maybe? After thinking about it i kinda like something along the lines of ā€œThe (insert 1 or 2 word name)ā€, like ā€œThe Expanseā€, but without the impending lawsuit

Oo or even something that starts with neo. Idk Iā€™m all over the place, and also still at work lol

Ok so i hit a snag, hence why I never posted the project page. Iā€™m trying to figure out how ill do the belly fat and inflation belly seperately. I think Iā€™ve got something in mind that I can try when I get home.

My main issue with adding too many morphs is it makes it infinitely harder to add clothing, and thats one of my main goals. So im trying to keep the belly morphs to 2 instead of however many atticus had in TE.

Hopefully I dont hit any more snags and can have the project post up soon. I want to have a working tech demo out soon.

Also if anyone knows/is an artist, Iā€™d like to commission some male/female side views with different layers for a bunch of the body parts since Iā€™m currently using TEā€™s body as my reference to get my programming done.

2 Likes

If I am not mistaken Atticus used only two morphs for belly: fat and pregnancy. After some amount of fat it switched only to one morph, but maybe I just remember it wrong. Anyway, if you are using 3d model that for sure would be hard to adapt outfit for many morph combinations, but if you use a few models for different weight stages it could be easier, but more time consuming. Well, if you are planning to make a lot of different clothes that would be a really long processā€¦

so im actually using adobe animate at the moment along with canvas/html5 to recreate the feeling of a flash game so I can use the 2d shape tweening that Atticus used. iā€™m only planning on having 2 belly morphs as well, but iā€™m almost tempted to drop it down to just the one for my own sanity. that way clothing is much easier to make, but I think ill still run into issues with weight and clothing together.

Iā€™ve spent the last few days racking my brain on how iā€™m gunna do it. Still not sure. It also doesnā€™t help that iā€™m not consistent with art in the slightest lmao so anything I do that isnā€™t referencing TE might not look great

what Iā€™ve been doing for the game Iā€™ve been trying to work on off and on is (I have to use individual images rather than morphs) having the fat and expansion be completely separate. The fat levels supersede the expansion levels (by that I mean if your character has fat level 10, and expansion level 3, it wonā€™t show the expansion at all) until the expansion levels push beyond the boundaries of the fat levels, at which point I have a few images that blend the two together until the expansion levels are big enough that the fat is irrelevant, and then itā€™s just focusing on the expansion owo

Are you still making it as project in Unreal engine? If yes then I think you chose the most difficult way. Maybe it would be easier like this: demo

Iā€™ve actually moved from unreal over to animate and html5 so i can do the shape tweening with animate, and do the coding in javascript.

Iā€™ll still take a look at that demo when I get home from work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ive got something similar for the expansion/fat, but im going to have the inflation belly node be the same size as the fat one depending on the weight level, then add onto it from there, so you still get even a small amount of inflation no matter how large the character is

Oh, I see. Nevermind then :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve been meaning to hit up this topic to say doing a Tainted Elysium clone in unreal is absolutely possible. Seems too late at this point but rather than acting like I know what Iā€™m talking about I built a quick example. In my opinion, unreal has poor support for 2d because a competent dev can enjoy all the benefits of the 3d engine while spoofing the game to appear 2d. The in game image is blurry since I set the UI render target texture at 512x256. This is only an example, you can do a whole lot more in many different ways, even using a 3d character with view selection.

Rough outline of what I did:

Made the model in blender from a flat subdivided plane, then made 2 ā€œshape keysā€ to turn it from a square into form.
Attached it to 1 armature bone and autoweighted the entire plane, unreal doesnā€™t play well boneless.
Exported fbx, imported into unreal with morph targets checked.
Built the example as a render target widget and attached it to the viewport.
Left the model within player view to show how basic it is.

blanim

2 Likes

Quick update.

Iā€™ve moved to unity and fungus and im going for more of a visual novel style for events.

Still procrastinating hard on the body system, I know how to get it working but Iā€™m bad at committing to anything art related.

The first romancable character has portraits now.

Hopefully Iā€™ll actually have something playable soon. Just gotta get rid of some placeholder stuff, and try and at least get some form of the body system implemented.

2 Likes

I did actually have this idea at one point but tossed it out the window because I thought it wasnā€™t modular enough when compared to something like TEā€™s body system, when actually, Iā€™m completely wrong (not much of a surprise there lmfao)

So along with using unity, Iā€™m going to work with blend shapes and a 3d model to achieve what I wanted to do a lot easier than working with 2d.

Thank you for your reply ORDER69, had I not seen it again today I probably wouldnā€™t have come to this conclusion and would still be malding about 2d shape tweens in adobe animate lol

2 Likes