Teaching At A Magic School! (Twine Visual Novel DebuisCool submission)

Grotlover2 Score

Category Total
Basics: 20000
Art: 255
Writing: 350
Concept/Design 755
Msc: 200
Total: 21560

Comments:

I have to admit I came into this game with some low expectations and came out pleasantly surprised. The story is well crafted and I have to say I thought the idea of there being “boss fights” to be quite entertaining. The illustrations where also quite nice as well. Overall a solid little text adventure game though I do wish to have seen more mechanics, but that is kind of expected with simple text adventures.

Kilif Score

Category Total
Art: 250
Writing: 320
Concept/Design 1120
Msc: 70
Total: 21760

Comments:

The sheer amount of content here is commendable and attention to detail when it came to the setting. The art assets, also surprisingly numerable, were likewise enjoyable. I liked that you tried to encorporate boss battles into a text adventure and I would argue it worked fairly well, even if some of the choices weren’t necessarily intuitive (though that’s what the back button is for). However, what I found extremely off putting was the constant POV changes. I found this to be extremely clunky and overall detracted from the experience. I would highly suggest adopting a more third person POV and using text colors to differentiate the characters to make it much more clear who’s talking when, or just sticking with one character. We didn’t really need to know what Markus was thinking under the hood, this could be exposed through observations from the main character. That’s my only real complaint, the rest of the content is very solid and feels extremely fleshed out for a jam submission.

Juxtaterrestrial Score

Category Total
Art: 216
Writing: 230
Concept/Design 760
Msc: 140
Total: 21346

Comments:

This was a cut little story. Maya was cute. To be honest this place sounds as horrible to be in as it is hot. The art really reminded me of some old adventure games. It was really well done. I have two pieces of feedback to offer. I think the story would benefit if you further developed the voices of each character. Right now they all mostly sound like the same person. I think this is especially true when multiple characters are stressed. My second big piece of advice is that in my opinion you switch POV too often. It gets really confusing at times to figure out who is thinking or speaking. Switching POV is fine, but I’d recommend keeping it to large portions of the story. Books usually do this by chapter. I think that’s probably a good reference point. In regards to the structure, I’d recommend having some branching paths. There isn’t anything wrong with linear visual novels, but having branching paths can get people to come back and read the story again to find out what options they missed. With all that being said, don’t think that I didn’t enjoy the project. I did! I think if you addressed the things i mentioned it would make the project that much better!

Total points: 64666