thinking about schools of magic and food led me to think up a quick little four-elements style set of magic ideas. take the most common: Fire, Earth, Air, and Water, and apply traits to each!
essentially my idea revolves around each element having defining characteristics, and being associated with different aspects of food and flavors. the elements can be combined by skillful chefs**/**mages, and used to create different foods, meals, or spells of specific effects.
what I have so far:
-hearty foods, entrees, substance. meats, grains, filling foods.
-snacks, light foods, oils and fats. also sweets, but less so than water.
-drinks, sugar, sweet and sour flavors.
-the act of cooking/fire, spicy and salty flavors. not typically associated with a single food type.
I also have a few ideas for element combos:
- Earth + Fire - lunches, dinners, entrees. hearty, filling food.
- Earth + Water - stews, soups, heavy desserts.
- Earth + Air - “fast foods”, breakfasts, greasy/fatty snacks.
- Water + Fire - sauces & dressings, appetizers. flavorful, satisfying food.
- Air + Water - sweet drinks (sodas, drinks, shakes, etc.). light, sweet desserts.
- Air + Fire - ?
I don’t have a good idea for what Fire + Air could be, so if anyone’s got suggestions, I’d love to hear.
I just had an urge to I guess worldbuild, so feel free to use if you have ideas for implementing into DnD, a game, writing, etc.