The Gain Trials (1.1 Released!)

@ScoliosisWarrior @AlexKay
Thank you for the kind words.
I’ll probably do one big post game-jam patch that adds dialogue to the parts of the game that currently have repeating dialogue and add all the weight gain stages I originally intended.

6 Likes

Yeah, I like the idea of choosing your ending and having one of the test subjects join you for some “advanced trials”.

3 Likes

@AlexKay
That is actually a really good idea.
I might steal that one :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Patch 1.1 is now Live.
This fixes a lot of typos.
Improved loading performance
Converted all images to .webp
Reduced the game size to ~ 1GB

3 Likes

not a bad game but sequences can be repetitive at times, as well as potential for pregnancy content and other story elements involved. great model work and solid animations throughout tho.

2 Likes

There’s going to be more weight gain stages?

Nice!

2 Likes

Hurray for goth girls.

4 Likes

EDIT: I realize this was done on short notice and quickly, gain jam and all, but I wanted to give a fair look over and criticism, even if it was done on tight time and by one of my fave devs here

I really liked this game for the first half, but I have some serious gripes with the game as it goes on.

I’m okay with the fact that it’s not really a game as much as a total visual novel, without any choices, but karren’s constant nagging and encouragement to push the limits feels like a missed opportunity for player choice, be it skills or storyline, on how far to push each girl.

This also just makes Karren more annoying and bitchy, because I can’t do anything to appease her complaints.

My biggest gripe is the repetitive nature. Many, many games on this site reuse scenes and dialogue. That’s okay! However, it makes a lot of sense for a life sim, like The Weighting Game, Fill Me Up, or even your own other project, Fattening Career.

However, there just… doesn’t seem to be a reason to make me do multiple tests with the exact same scenes and dialogue on each girl before each weight gain level up, other than just to pad time? It ends up leaving the weight gain content feeling kinda squeezed in between mountains of good-the-first-time (but only exciting for the most diehard fetishist) breast expansion, milking, bloating, and sex scenes.

But above the need to skim through repeated tests, I really, really was disappointed by the limited dialogue and story, especially as the game progresses. The weight gain kink in me kinda dies seeing characters not really respond or give a shit at all to gaining weight, upwards of 200 pounds between the last time they had new dialogue. This really hurts Krystal and Tracy. Sarah has a bit more dialogue than them I think, but also the least unique story. Krystal is THE fat fetish character, but there’s limited payoff outside of changing models, because her dialogue doesn’t change across 100ish pounds, which feels depressing. Tracy is especially a victim here, with her in-it-for-the-money buildup not really falling into some kind of corruption arc or being unhappy with the weight gain or anything satisfying. Also, her randomly going from the only character with a partner, so she wont fuck the MC, to suddenly entering the bone zone was… really boring. It made her have less of a character, less of a story, AND meant her sex scenes were just sex scenes again, not any different than the other girls outside of just… her body.

I really hate to be a negative nelly. I adore the models for this game, these are some of your best ever and I especially loveeeee Krystal, and love the ass details on Tracy, but the combination of very limited dialogue, zero choice/gameplay BUT ALSO grinding up a progress bar, and a constant beratement from an NPC with (as far as I can tell from where I am in the game) satisfying payoff is just frustrating, and makes me struggle to finish the game, and I feel content going “eh I did most of it” at around the 6/8 5/7 mark for the girls, which is not a good feeling ya know?

5 Likes

As somebody who is a breast expansion fan first and a weight gain fan second; I’ve got to say, visually you knocked it out of the park with this one. The models are fantastic, I can’t say a single negative thing about any of them. Krystal is so damn attractive but Sarah is definitely my favorite for obvious reasons :wink: Don’t get me started on those skin meshes and sliders OH MY GOD, the veins on Sarah’s breasts, the detail on Tracy’s ass, the weight distribution. Chefs kiss pure perfection. It’s always a pleasure to see your skills and use of detail in VaM improve every time you post new content. I’d even go as far to say these have to be the most appealing looking BE/WG renders used in any visual novel I’ve played.

The animations themselves are simple, though I doubt you would’ve had time to rig and playtest the super duper dick crushing suplex sex scenes for every wg stage like we see in FC. It is nice breaking up the static images with the varying camera angles.

That being said, gameplay wise, is it repetitive? Obviously. It was made in 14 days :man_shrugging: Not that I’ve had the opportunity to try them all yet but I can imagine you could say the exact same about several if not most of the submissions posted this jam and jams prior. These things take time to not just think up, but code, bug test and actually function. There’s going to be repetitive aspects plaguing a lot of these rushed games. Even your main critically acclaimed (imo) game Fattening Career, repetitiveness is an issue as well; and that games been in development exponentially longer.

With repetitiveness in mind, the dialog can be tedious. Having multiple stages, with said stages being repeated 2-3 times, and roughly 60-70% of the same text getting reused per expansion I do find myself skipping a lot of it. With the test subjects its fine, however… Holy fuck does Karren get on my nerves (is that why you named her that? Very subtle lmao). Does she have early onset amnesia? Possibly dementia? Somebody let this woman take a break she can’t stop repeating herself. Though no shade to the writer at all, that in itself also has it’s limitations. I’m guessing they wrote the script in tandem with you developing the game, either they were busy with other things or didn’t understand how the game’s dialog would pan out over the 8 stages. Aside from that I think they did a good job.

Overall this is probably one of, if not my favorite of the gain jam submissions so far. I think I might be a little different than a lot of the people who use this forum. For me these games are just another medium to enjoy fetish content, just like comics, short stories, and videos. The actual “game” itself is something that takes a backseat for me. I can look past a lot of these problems because the scenes are so god damn beautiful. Alas, this is the Weight GAMING forum so this aspect is going to be judged just as evenly as the rest of the content, nor am I a judge in this contest so my opinion holds little to no weight anyway.

In the case of this game, I disagree with the saying “don’t put all your eggs in one basket”. I think you put all your eggs in the right basket. Good job on your hard work, and good luck with the gain jam results. Can’t wait to see what you have in store for FC 0.8! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Krystal should be in fattening career, we need more goth girls

4 Likes

@Muffintopmanor1 I can always count on you to give me your honest review(even if negative), thank you.
All the issues with the game all came down to me being really bad at estimating how much time development takes and planning it all out as a “project lead”.
Dialogue repeating from around stage 3/4, No choices/gameplay and the characters not getting as huge as I wanted are all the outcome of me realizing that I couldn’t do it all in 2 weeks.
I’ll take the necessary steps to release a 2.0 version of the original vision I had for this game.

@SexualStalin I’m glad you liked the visuals so much, this part is certainly the most finished part.
Dialogue is about 40% finished in the game, which has the unintended side-effect of Karren being even more annoying about pushing the woman then planned.
I’ll be doing my best to put out a 2.0 version with fully finished dialogue and more stages in the future.

4 Likes

Alright so just finished playing this one. Really enjoyed it for the most part. Great characters, good scenario and nice 3D models. Absolutely loved every girl getting a giant round stuffed belly. Though I will say the dialogue definitely got repetitive near the end. And the encounters with each girl could have easy been reduced by one for each stage as they were just repeats. Got to the point that near the end I was just skipping an entire day by pressing left click + space until the next major stage happened.

I will say my favorite girl was Krystal. I was thinking this game would have her be the one that goes from small breasts to largest pretty quickly but then later on I picked up that she was actually going to be the most heavy set girl trying to get bigger. Love seeing corruption of characters like that. She still kept her proud and feisty attitude, just with more pounds lol.

I would have enjoyed some options or diverging dialogue branches, but understandable that this was pretty linear since it was a game jam. But even if it wasn’t a game jam this was still a pretty good experience overall. I did expect something to happen to the helper character Karren and was a little disappointed that it wasn’t revealed that she was secretly taking the serum herself or something like that.

But yeah overall this was pretty good, though could do with some more polish. Excited to see what a 2.0 version of the game would be like.

2 Likes

I honestly agree.

She deserves to be in that game should a new character ever be introduced.

2 Likes

The animations are insane, really enjoyed this despite the only gameplay “choice” being clicking the sex button. Usually skip 3D games on here but glad I didn’t.

3 Likes

There’s definitely some good games out there you would be missing out on if you’re skipping 3D games. But if you like the animations in this then you’ll probably like @Bladerune9’s main game Fattening Career. 0.07 that’s currently on patreon is gonna be out for free on the first of September (0.06 is available now for free though.)

5 Likes

Some of this is on me, took longer to write and I had less time to do it than I thought originally. Only really managed to get up until stage 3 dialogue done which in my defence was 15 separate events and about 40 pages of dialogue in about 9-10 days. I’m not the quickest writer though so the events did borrow from each other. A full version will be coming some time in the future and I will be doing my best to address a lot of those issues, like to lower the repetition with some new gameplay mechanics and Karrens dialogue will change as things progress although I cant promise she will be any less annoying :stuck_out_tongue: But it should at least be more interesting.

5 Likes

I really liked this game . Will version 2 be released . When?

2 Likes

Glad you liked the game, I’ll be working on The Gain Trials after the next update for Fattening Career is out, which should be somewhere in November.

1 Like

I’d like to remind you that it’s against our community guidelines to ask if/when an update will come out (the status of an update from the developer and other variations of the question.)

5 Likes