The Munchies: Mansion Madness (side-scroller)

Hello!

I have zero game design experience, but I’ve been playing video games for decades and have an idea.

A video game based on The Munchies. A simple side-scroller where you dodge Munchies while working your way towards the exit to freedom.

It’s set in a mansion (hence the title). You can choose a male, female, or nonbinary character (and a full range of skin tones). I imagine 3 or 4 different maps (the main floors, the cellar, the attic, and maybe the roof, and/or the garden where there’s a hedge maze). And you basically run around, dodging Munchies that roam the map.

Some of the Munchies carry food items and if they hit you, you gain a little weight (maybe a calorie meter that gradually goes up with every hit?). Think the first Super Mario Bros, where the Munchies are the Goombas/Koopas/Enemies. And instead of shrinking or dying when they hit you, you accumulate calories from the food they’re carrying. Over time, running into too many Munchies will make your sprite fatter.

As you gain weight, your sprite becomes bigger, slower, and you can’t jump quite as high. But as you fatten, you earn abilities that keep the Munchies at bay; like ground-pounds that shake the map, and burps & farts that act as projectiles or AOE (area of effect) attacks. Maybe even a belly flop or a butt smash or a belly/butt bump.

If enough Munchies gather around the player (the fatter the player is, the more Munchies it’ll take to do this), they can carry you to the kitchen where they sit you down at a table or in front of a fridge. There, you have a mini-game where you have to try and stop yourself from eating. Maybe a rapid button press that slows your arms down the faster you press the buttons. But if you’re too slow or just set the controller down and watch, your character continues to eat unabated.

Throughout the map, there can be health foods and gym equipment to workout and slim down, which makes your sprite smaller, quicker, and able to jump higher, but then you lose the offensive abilities.

You win when you make it to an exit (every map is procedurally generated to keep every run fresh and new. Think Dead Cells).

You lose when you become immobile. Maybe there’s a cutscene that places your character in bed or something. Like an ending static shot showing your character at 1,000 pounds, being fed by or just surrounded by Munchies.

Super simple, but with fun mechanics that feels doable. Anyone with experience in side-scrollers want to get on this? Happy to write the story/dialog/etc.

I really hope to play this someday!!!

7 Likes

This idea seems like if anyone could pick it up and develop it into a new game, even though I’m not a fan of “Lose in order to get your desired kink” type. :smile:

Although, I do have some other things to say:

Some long text about something, I dunno, I'm just a Lurker-

This is very dependable on how many moves and expansion states the character have (Also depending on many factors if we’re going for the Pixel art scale). Because having multiple variation of a single character would drastically increase the workflow. I know there are some alternatives to speed up the process, or to make it less complex. I usually keep it 1 main character unless if there’s any future updates to keep the game going, but that’s just my own input. :smile:

I don’t stop them from actually attempting to draw like 400+ sprites per character. Hell, I even did the same thing to my own game! :heart:

With an exception of larger sizes (Skinny only), there’s no player offense? Like bouncing on the enemies similar to, like you mentioned, (Super) Mario Bros? It couldn’t be just a game where you only dodge and escape.

I really hope that doesn’t hinder platforming, jumping around or dodging enemies, haha… Because it would be a nightmare/frustrating experience trying to dodge enemies at the largest size.

So basically Ground Pound, Burp/Fart projective (They’re the same, so have at least one, unless otherwise), AOE attacks (Isn’t Ground Pound is one of them?), and belly flop/butt smash/belly bump/butt bump.
I’d say to only keep Ground Pound, to make the game simple to use (Plus, you don’t want to have to make larger size significantly better than the skinnier variant, else they’ll be game imbalances. And also the increased workflow I mentioned before.)

Wait, why the kitchen? Wouldn’t they just do it right there right now? Wouldn’t the munchies be force feeding the player instead and the player have to shake it off by mashing/holding attack?

Aside from that, I’m sure that there will be someone else that’ll take this idea and make it an actual game. :heart:

Kink based 2D platformers are getting rare, so I’m glad it didn’t died down.

3 Likes

I like to imagine there is no “win/lose.”

There is only: “Desired Results.”

So however you choose to end the game, that was the ending you wanted to see. Maybe you can unlock rewards for future replays (Calorie Meter takes longer to fill, leading to delay in Size/Weight Increase, leading to more playthrus).

And maybe just throw in the bones/rules so that the Maps/Backgrounds and Character Models/Avatars can be swapped out for whatever fits the kink.

So instead of The Munchies: Mansion Madness, it can be called “Munchie Madness” and updates can be applied for years to come! I would love to see it last forever with a ton of mods/customization. As long as the frames/bones/DNA is there, swapping skins/maps/assets should be a walk in the park. Maybe with the assistance of a YouTube video. hahah

3 Likes

Thank you for your input!! I would love to address these thoughts!!!

This is very dependable on how many moves and expansion states the character have (Also depending on many factors if we’re going for the Pixel art scale). Because having multiple variation of a single character would drastically increase the workflow. I know there are some alternatives to speed up the process, or to make it less complex. I usually keep it 1 main character unless if there’s any future updates to keep the game going, but that’s just my own input. :smile:

I don’t stop them from actually attempting to draw like 400+ sprites per character. Hell, I even did the same thing to my own game!

I was thinking super simple sprites, like NES era. So Super Mario NES, Zelda 2: Link’s Adventure-level of detail.

Maybe 3 or 4 Weight Stages (Thin, Chubby, Fat, Obese, Immobile)

A Running Sequence of animations (swinging arms, swinging legs) for each.

A Jumping Sequence of animations for each.

And maybe like 10 skin shades varying from pale white to pitch black.

With an exception of larger sizes (Skinny only), there’s no player offense? Like bouncing on the enemies similar to, like you mentioned, (Super) Mario Bros? It couldn’t be just a game where you only dodge and escape.

Sorry, I did intend for player defenses at all sizes! Thank you for calling attention to it!

Thin Players are more agile and are easily able to avoid Munchies/Food anyway, but yes, they can also jump ON Munchies to clear them off the Map, Super Mario Style. They can also slide PAST Munchies to avoid their “attacks.” (maybe slides can knock off Munchies too!)

Thin Players can also kick and push Munchies away. These attacks are translated as belly bump animations by the Fatter Sprites. Maybe the Chubby Sprite can have an In-Between attack that isn’t a push or a belly-bump but a lazy punch or something.

I really hope that doesn’t hinder platforming, jumping around or dodging enemies, haha… Because it would be a nightmare/frustrating experience trying to dodge enemies at the largest size.

I feel like the Thin Movement and Fat Movement would be fun in their own rights. Maybe Once the Player is Fat, goals move closer and they can ground-pound through floors or charge through walls to move around the Map easier. The fun will be trying to make both Thin Movement fun and Fat Movement fun in their own rights.

Definitely check out gameplay videos of Vampire Survivor. Something like that, but as a side-scroller like Dead Cells or Hollow Knight or Katana Zero. As long as the gameplay is fun, we can do whatever to make Fat Movement (Brute/Tank, crashing through floors/walls/barriers) at least as fun as Thin Movement (Stealth/Agility through narrow shortcuts, maybe air ducts).

So basically Ground Pound, Burp/Fart projective (They’re the same, so have at least one, unless otherwise), AOE attacks (Isn’t Ground Pound is one of them?), and belly flop/butt smash/belly bump/butt bump.

Ground Pound can clear out immediate enemies (upgraded over time to clear out entire screen of enemies), Burp can projectile forward like a fireball to clear out Munchies in front of player, Fart Can act as projectile fired backwards to clear Munchies approaching from behind. As well as create a protective forcefield around the Player for a limited time).

These can be modified, tweaked as random upgrades peppered through playthroughs. Maybe they get unlocked as permanent upgrades through multiple runs over time. One random reward, one selected reward, each following you on all future runs.

Speaking of which: Multiple Save Files/Character Profiles

I’d say to only keep Ground Pound, to make the game simple to use (Plus, you don’t want to have to make larger size significantly better than the skinnier variant, else they’ll be game imbalances. And also the increased workflow I mentioned before.)

Both Thin and Fat Sprites should be able to achieve the same goals: whether it’s to Escape the Map, or to Give In. Whatever the player wants to do.

That said, I would love it to be as customizable as possible over time and for all players to get from it what they want.

If they want to play as a Thin Character, they can. If they want to avoid getting fat, they can. If they want to give into the Munchies and just engage in feeding mini-games and whatnot and let themselves grow, they can do that too!

Point is: I want everyone to enjoy this game for years to come. As long as the Sprite can be customized/grown over time and can attack/avoid Munchies at whatever weight the player wants them to be, I feel like it would be a TON of fun.

3 Likes

If you’re going for this perhaps ensure that there is a selection of possible exits for the play to achieve, since a player may have difficulty losing weight (if certain items or equipment is beyond their reach). This can also lead to players to explore more of the map to see other options, as well as tailoring areas connected to these specific exits to incorporate unique routes.

The minigame you describe could be use for a certain area (or have it where the Munchies carry a bundle of food to you and force it down your throat), for other areas like the hedge maze or attic maybe have other minigames for those areas as well (they are Munchies, they also want people to be lazy and comfortable as they get fat).

Lastly why is the protag entering the mansion? While I know the purpose is for the player to sort of insert themselves in the protag’s place but there has to be something there that draws them to it instead of them wanting to get fat or not (which leads me to think of maybe adding other “unfortunate” guests who have also entered the mansion grounds).

Good ideas, just make sure the maps are made with every size in mind and check whether certain sizes can access places or not (would be slightly mean if players get stuck in a section with no way out other than to be immobile).

Yes! Multiple exits and ways to prevent the player from being trapped and bored are a must.

In the hopes of it being a fun and simple game people can dive right into, I’d like to keep the story/premise as lightweight (heh) as possible. Like the protag wakes up in the bedroom, wondering where they are, and go from there. Maybe the Munchies burst into the bedroom with breakfast to explain the situation and kick things off.

But basically, I figure the whole thing is part of a new scheme by the Munchies. They kidnap people and bring them to the Mansion where the rooms and halls are constantly shifting (off-screen) to prevent escape.

I love the idea of coming across other “Guests” randomly in some rooms! Maybe they can serve a purpose, like provide upgrades, or they can help uncover parts of the map or paths, or provide general tips!

But I’m imagining a scenario in which the Player/Protag is brought into The Munchies’ world, and maybe the multiple runs can be worked into the story! Like in Prince of Persia, the Protag is also the narrator telling a story and when you die, he’ll say “Wait, that’s not how it happened…”

Maybe reaching an End State (either escaped or ended up immobile - neither considered “Win/Lose”) will trigger the Player waking up back in the bed and you realize you’re in a timeloop or trying to get through layers of dreams or something. Whatever serves the gameplay.

Thanks for your feedback!! This is fun to brainstorm. Just wish I had the skills to bring it into existence.

Definitely check out gameplay videos of Vampire Survivor. Something like that, but as a side-scroller like Dead Cells or Hollow Knight or Katana Zero.

I’ve played Katana Zero, and I know from my experience that it’s freaking fun. It’s why I translated the gameplay style into my own platformer game. :heart:

Both Thin and Fat Sprites should be able to achieve the same goals: whether it’s to Escape the Map, or to Give In. Whatever the player wants to do.

Actually, now that I think about it…

What if instead of immobile = Game over, the game continues as normal, and the player starts off as Stage 2 - 3 fat? Kind of like the Munchies are satisfied that the player character gets immobile, but eventually the player character slims off and continues on to an alternate path away from escaping.

Of course, the player can choose to head to the door that’s labeled “To Kitchen” instead of heading “To Exit” door, if they did or didn’t get a “game over” that way. The player will be rewarded much more if they manage to not get immobile from the entire run and still head to the kitchen, compared to if they lose a bunch of times by the munchies. :heart:

Now there will be three paths to take, either by escaping normally, give in by the munchies, or if the player isn’t immobile a bunch of times, head to the kitchen to get even fatter. :smile:

Whoops, I completely missed this one! :smile:
Yeah, the player can choose their desired results via the difficulty selection. From Casual, Normal, Hard, and Expert. The higher the difficulty, the longer the gameplay will last (Plus, you will be rewarded with extra cutscenes/pictures the higher the difficulty), but casual difficulty still allows the player to see all endings. However, if they wanted to get even better results, they’ll need to practice on harder difficulties. :heart:

I like it when the difficulties tells the story and outcome of the character, makes replay value even better. Adding it with player customization, settings/cheats, unlockables, and so on~

Sorry for responding twice, this idea seems to be very promising and I’m actually interested in it. Unfortunately, I won’t take part of it, but I REALLY hope anyone can pick this up in the future. :smile:

Definitely storing this idea for later, maybe one day I could get off my butt and learn either Godot or actually learn everything in Unity.

2 Likes

Re: simple sprites spesifically, I think you (or anyone who decides to undertake this concept) should look at Noita’s art style. Its pixel art, but not too big as to become cumbersome to animate. I would know, because I myself have modified the lil wizard’s sprites to be me! And even tried messing with the cape phsyics a bit, repurposed for long hair. True 8 bit is too small to really show much of anything beyond basic forms. So as simple but still visually flexible goes, noita is a fantastic source of inspiration

2 Likes

This can also apply to any pixel artists out there, depending on said resolution of the sprite art itself. Sometimes, you just need the right style for the pixel art. :heart:

An example of my own Pixel art

Islander Walk Animation
58x72 dimensions (Without hair extensions)

Final
32x62 dimensions. Smaller than the one on top, and easier to animate, but less details.

Note that it all depends on the pixel art style of choice. :smile:

4 Likes