The Tower of Gluttony [v1.3] - Text-based WG Roguelike

more encounter based bad ends could be fun.

Loving this project. hope it continues to grow (pun intended)

Only things I’ve come across is the button placements can sometimes be a little awkward.

Do wish there was an option for male protag (but that is just personal preference)

overall love the game keep it up

3 Likes

Luck is so cruel to me. Tried again though without any back buttons, defeated the final boss the harder way, though. Wonder who else did this haha

So I already beat the game before the image update, and I wanna try my second run on the updated version, but I can’t remember the dev command, (I know that you have to press a key in the first room but I can’t remember the key) does anyone know the command?

You just need to press the letter “Z”

Update 1.2

My main focus with this update was to make the combat more interesting, as well as making charisma more useful. There have also been some behind the scenes code changes. Existing save files probably won’t be compatible. Let me know what you think!

Changelog

• Revamped combat
    • Gain “AP” when you miss an attack, get hit, or guard
    • Can then spend AP to perform special actions during combat
    • Status effects can now be applied to enemies
    • Elemental shards can be attached to arrows to inflict debuffs
    • New core skill: Mana - allows you to cast spells using AP
  • There are now 9 variations of goblin, with three personality types
    • Can use charisma to talk your way out of combat
    • Get a bonus to your charisma roll if you choose the correct dialog choice
  • New images for some existing encounters
  • Discounts received from charisma now explicitly shown
  • Outcome of dice rolls no longer spoiled by text that shows your HP has changed
  • Fixed being able to farm gold and arrows by entering and exiting the inventory repeatedly
14 Likes

so no more wg stages for the moment?

hey, quick question, what’s the point of the mysterious key? i’ve been getting it time and time again during my playthroughs but never found a reason to use it?

There’s a chance encounter you can use it for: A room may be offered to you with a Bow Chest and a Sword Chest, each having a high-powered version of that weapon. You can try rolling a 20 to open the chest, OR you can unlock automatically with the Mysterious Key

3 Likes

There appears to be a missing image for one of the obese goblins, specifically after being ambushed while resting.

3 Likes

Good catch! Just released a patch.

2 Likes

@CriticalMongoose Good job! Thank you for the update! <3

1 Like

Honestly this was a pretty good update, even if the game is still short. I think there’s not enough enemies though, fighting the same slimes and goblins outside of the boss battles gets kinda repetitive. Some extra endings depending on your weight would be nice too

4 Likes

Great update. I think this game is genuinely fun to play, though I echo the sentiment that it could be a bit longer. I think being able to change difficulty would be nice too, I’ve ran through this game a couple times because of how short it is and it feels like all you have to do to win is find a really good weapon and a lot of healing items.
I gotta say that I really like the art though, usually not a fan of AI stuff but this is surprisingly well executed.

2 Likes

Yeah, I finished the game in about two hours (Maybe less than that) by stocking up on food, healing items and getting the best weapons. I was even able to defeat the Queen in the traditional way, I caught her unprepared lmao

1 Like

I mentioned it before, but the most recent update has exacerbated it a bit for me. Is there a way to limit the displayed size of the images? In my browser, they push the action menu down to the bottom of the window and make it impossible to perform some actions without zooming out.

2 Likes

idk how feasible this is, but i feel like getting AI images for the various bad ends would be the ultimate chefs kiss. this is by far the best twine game ive played, so enjoyable…that would really just be the cherry on top

2 Likes

Very nice update. New images are always good, and I love the added variation in the goblins. I did a run with only mana level ups, and it didn’t feel too difficult. Adrenaline Potions seem pretty cheap for how useful they can be; I relied on them pretty heavily to beat the final boss. Maybe they would be less useful for a non-mana build, but still, having those accuracy boosts on demand can make a big difference, especially when using multi-hit weapons.

I didn’t try out the elemental shards until near the end of the final boss fight, but when I did, I froze her for 5 turns! Did I just get really lucky? Because that seems a bit OP…

Oh, and I did encounter a couple calculation bugs, I think. One time, I was trying to finish off a goblin with a punch, but I missed because the game used the base accuracy of the previous weapon I had used (one of the short swords, I think). And when I got to the final boss, I tried to chug an Adrenaline Potion right off the bat, but it consumed the potion without doing anything. I ended up using the history buttons to veto that (the only time I used them during the run). The Adrenaline Potions worked fine when I tried them again later in the fight, though.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the arrow seller was also a cute surprise. Her description never mentioned her weight, so I was caught off guard by her picture–in a good way, of course. Still very wholesome, too. It’s just a shame that my play style is to use arrows sparingly; even before she had an image, I always felt bad for how little I actually interacted with her.

That makes me think, though… If the recurring merchants (both the arrow seller and the goblin traders) end up getting their own images, then perhaps their appearances could change in response to how much you buy or sell? It might be a nice little addition, so to speak. :wink:

3 Likes

liked the 1.1 update but might wait a bit for 1.3 or longer for more content but if their is one issue i have so far is that i have been trying to make the PC immobile before reaching the final boss with not much luck (honestly been eating as many enemies as i can just to fatten her up fasters & belching to speed up lowering her fullness) and the farthest i got was around 600+lbs stage

Does the main character even have an immobility stage, though? I don’t think it was added