The Weighting Game - WIP

Strongly agree with the person above. We all know this is an in development game and we’re getting early access to incomplete builds. I’d much rather you take your time and add what you want rather than avoiding content because it is earlier in the game.

I’d personally say you shouldn’t feel beholden to only adding new content at the latest weight level. I would even be in favour of a version where no new weight levels are added and you just expand on the earlier parts of the game if that’s what you wanted to do.

13 Likes

So I’m in 4.0 right now and first I want to say that this version is really good and can’t wait to see the finish product, but I have just a general question for anyone concerning the waitress. is her gain a time based thing or is it like Alice where you have to do something to make her gain, like go in when she’s eating lunch everyday? Just curious in all honesty.

The waitress is tied into Alice, for the moment at least. When Alice goes up a weight stage, so does the waitress.

4 Likes

@EarthboyJAK and @Unk0wn1 I agree with you. I often think of new bits that I’d like to add into the earlier game. But with every version I bring out, I get more and more people asking why old saves aren’t compatible. If I add new features to old parts of the game, old saves simply won’t work, or at best will cause serious glitches.

I may run a poll on the patreon site to see which people prefer, or, as @Unk0wn1 suggests, spend one version of the game (possibly 0.6) simply adding to the existing content rather than adding new stuff.

5 Likes

When it comes to newer versions, all I can really think of is you either A- introduce a temporary fast forward choice prompt that skips the player into a game state that sets the player smack in at the start of new version content (if this is achievable anyway.) Otherwise B- just include a save that starts at new content. For people that want to update, they should just keep in mind to play their current version to completion so they don’t miss out on any content before they upgrade to the new version and start fresh at new content.

The game progress prompt seems the ideal solution so that you don’t need to replay up to the new content each time every new release but I’m not sure if it’s possible.

Obviously loss of old saves is annoying but that’s the cost of early access. Trying to hold up overall project progress with the attempt to retain older saves isn’t realistic because you limit your game long term for early suggesting benefit.

A simple understanding of “Hey, if you’re updating please just play your version to completion then try the new release where you left off!” would be the best approach to this issue I’d say.

7 Likes

Oh wow, I thought you had to visit her on her break when she’s eating cake for her to gain weight. I was visiting her repeatedly every day to get the scene lol

3 Likes

By all means, if you can think of more things to add to the early game then you’d be hard-pressed to find a naysayer to this effect. Progress is progress at the end of the day, and sections are only done when you say they’re done.

1 Like

Personally I replay from the start just in case there’s new stuff each new patch anyway, ultimately it’s your game and whatever you think makes for the best update/end product is gonna be the best move. I can see why people want to keep their saves, but one new play through every month or two isn’t really a big ask imo.

1 Like

in all honesty the early game is where you spend the most time since that’s when she is most resisting of things so it does probably need the most attention anyway

was wondering Hannah another date target to gain weight? Cause I wanted to do another playthrough but not have to break alice heart and then go out with Hannah and convince her to gain.

I used to be in the camp of people annoyed by having to replay the early game, but your work is good enough that I actually look forward to it now. It’s never the same twice, and it’s just fun to see the process of Alice in the early phases of her weight gain anyway.

4 Likes

Hi, how it’s possible break with Alice and go with Hannah and make her fat?

As far as I know there is no real way to. There is a short term breakup, but as a guess there will be more weight gain content for her later so be patient m’kay. ^~^ Ciao!

3 Likes

Hehe, if it annoyed you having to play through the early stuff every couple of months, think how I feel. I’ve played the early game well over 500 times now when I’ve been testing stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

naive question, would test automation help? Automatically testing a Ren'Py game using Travis CI

This is a bit unrelated to the current topic of old save support (I personally don’t mind playing through the game every time. Helps me get invested in the characters.)

But out of curiosity, do the text images Alice sends you throughout the game in between weight stages have their own unique body weight models to them? I’ve noticed that in the later ones of a particular weight stage she usually looks bigger then the stage that is used outside of the texts. The new ones in .4 look especially massive near the end of the current content.

1 Like

The short answer is that, once I’d got all the scripting set up, it probably would.

The more realistic answer is that even after hundreds of playthroughs of the early stages of the game, I’m still finding things to tweak/amend/correct almost every time I run through it. Much though I’d like to automate some of the testing (and I may still do so at some point), I think that the more manual playthroughs I do, the more tweaking I can do and the better the finished game will be :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nope, all the images for a particular size use exactly the same model. I will admit that I do some slight tweaking of the stomach area if she’s particularly full, but other than that, every image has an identical model of Alice.

Don’t forget that in 0.4, she’s starting to accept and enjoy being a fat girl, and is more keen to show off her new curves at angles that enhance, rather than hide them :slight_smile:

edit Oh, and if you think she’s looking massive in 0.4, just wait till you see some of the images in 0.5 :smiley:

11 Likes

Anticipation is killing me man! Cheers!

3 Likes

If you really feel the need to give in to people who complain about save-game incompatibility, you could just adopt a tick-tock mentality which is basically what… well major tech development companies tend to do.

Push forward, then alternate and refine.

TL;DR if 0.5 is going to be entirely new content that won’t break saves, you could make 0.6 contain all your new early game changes and just lump them together so you do break saves for 0.6 but feel less need to break saves again in 0.7.

P.S. Personally though I think 99% of people who play early access games expect save games to be broken. It’s just that people who run into “problems” tend to be more vocal than anyone who is “satisfied”. I do think just including one personal preset save file for each “phase” of alice would be enough to satisfy anyone who is upset by save-game compatibility. They could then just load your save file that was closest to their own, if they really wanted to just see the new ending without seeing anything else new.

Heck, even if you don’t include those saves, someone could just post some random save files to this thread, if anyone asked for them in this thread.

/rantover

2 Likes