The Weighting Game - WIP

I’ve been so hyped for the release of this next version, and this only amplifies that! Take my money, I need it now :smile:

4 Likes

Pre Christmas teaser:

You’re doing a great job, don’t listen to the people who are rushing you and that might take the fun out of it. Good things come to those who wait.

Post Christmas Teaser:

MOREEEEEE

haha that being said, awesome job and can’t wait for the next update.

2 Likes

Is it just me, or are the mega links not working?

Which version are you trying to download? I’ve tested 0.5 and 0.55 (Both Mac and PC) this morning, and the links seem fine.

1 Like

Happy new year, everyone! Hope you all had a good (and safe) time!

Quick update on the next version. Firstly, I’m sorry it’s taking so long. December is always a very busy month for me, work-wise, and this last December was insane. At least 10-12 hours a day, six days a week, so I didn’t have time for much work on the game.

That’s the bad news. The good news is that it’s going to be by far the largest update yet. I’ve got over 90% of the new images done and written 3,000 + lines of new text. Lots of writing still to do, but it’s coming together, and January is normally a quiet month at work, so I should have lots more time for working on the game.

There will be a few entirely new scenes for Alice (as well as additions to a couple of existing ones), more reasons for visiting the gym and park and finally a couple of reasons to visit the pub/bar. There will also be two new sub-characters, one from the start of the game and one towards the end.

All being well, it’ll be ready later this month :slight_smile:

25 Likes

Can’t wait for it! Always love anything you do.

1 Like

I know it’s a selfish thing to ask, but I gotta try. Will there be a chance for any of the earlier versions to be released for free (V0.3 maybe)?

1 Like

I don’t blame you for asking, that’s what a lot of Patreon creators do and it saves the time it takes to edit and debug genuine free limited versions, but I also won’t blame Tiggertoo if he says no.
I understand not wanting to give up his hard work for free. However I personally am not open to financing unfinished projects anymore; been burned too many times, so while I certainly will buy the game once it’s done, I will not chip in money before I have a guaranteed completed project.
There are sadly also creators out there (which I will not name) that drag out developement of their games to milk their patrons and that’s another thing that definitely puts me off with Patreon.
I do feel sorry about honest creators, but that’s simply a risk I’m not willing to take

I don’t see any link to download this game, i’m blind or what?

Not saying you have to take this advice/suggestion/tip. I have infinite bandwidth and about 13tb of hdd space so this issue doesn’t effect me at all but I saw this recently!!!

"
v0.6 Changelog:

• Changed the format of all images in the game from .png to .webp , this reduced the total size of the game by 75% without losing quality.

"

Source: Zargon is creating Adult games | Patreon update/release/changelog from january 2nd 2021

A more general statement on the matter from wikipedia:

"
On 18 November 2011, Google began to experiment with lossless compression and support for transparency (alpha channel) in both lossless and lossy modes; support has been enabled by default in libwebp 0.2.0 (16 August 2012). According to Google’s measurements, a conversion from PNG to WebP results in a 45% reduction in file size when starting with PNGs found on the web, and a 28% reduction compared to PNGs that are recompressed with pngcrush and PNGOUT.

"

from this wikipedia page: WebP - Wikipedia

I mean given your line of work, more than fair. Really looking forward to seeing how you’ve filled it all out and checking out the new scenes and finding out who these sub characters are. Haven’t played since the last patch, so I’m itching for the next go. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Milodinosaur23 Never say never, but it’s unlikely at this stage that there will be more free versions. IMO, the current free version (0.2) shows more than enough of the game for people to decide whether they’re going to like it or not. I also got quite a bit of hassle (some of it rather nasty) over the previous free versions. This now seems to have died off and I don’t want to reopen any cans of worms. It’s possible I may put out more free versions at a later date, but I wouldn’t hold your breath.

@Burpinz I totally understand where you’re coming from. I doubt there are many of us, especially in a niche area such as this, who haven’t financially supported a dev/creator only for the project to simply get canned or vanish without warning. That’s one reason I’m not taking advantage of Patreon allowing me to charge patrons a year upfront. Some people choose to support me monthly, some only when I put out a new version of the game. I’m grateful for both. I’ve spent a huge amount of money on this, and without that support, I simply couldn’t afford to produce the game.

I’ve got no intention of pulling the plug (I’m proud of what I’ve achieved and I’ve put way too much time and money into this over the past 14 months to quit now) , but you’ve only got my word for that and talk is cheap on the internet.

@rimean The download link is in the first post of this thread. I don’t like spamming the link every time I post, but haven’t done so for a while, so here you go :slight_smile:

@namad Nice idea, but I won’t be changing the image format at this stage. To my eyes (I’m used to working with 300dpi and upwards CMYK .tiff files), the images are already ridiculously compressed and the quality is suffering as it is. I may look into this at some later point though, especially given the way the game footprint is growing.

@loljuicepwn Hopefully you’ll enjoy it!

6 Likes

The problem is that i can’t find free version (0.2)
Patreon tells me that i need to pay, but of course i’m looking for free version

It’s in the first post on this thread I believe, made by tiggertoo.

Hey no problem! I was just hoping, but I knew it was a long shot, given the amount of effort you put into making such a splendid game. I was also around when people were giving you crap for no reason when you are pretty much letting them play your game for free, so I completely understand. Keep up the good work!

Ok, i found this.
Thank for you giving us free trial, but i don’t understand why we need to scroll through patreon, it would be easier to just post direct link to download 0.2 version here, on the forum.

It is on the forum. If you looked at the relevant posts list underneath the initial post, you’d see that there is a direct link to the Patreon post for the v0.2 download.

Yeah I think .tiff is the superior loseless format. I only brought this webp thing up because you keep mentioning various concerns about filesizes. Like I said, I’ve got a ton of hdd space and routinely install 100gb games from steam, so it’s not an issue for me at all. I was surprised how massive the size savings could be. However those are comparisons between lossy formats. You could probably make the game 75% smaller but the quality of the images would drop a tiny bit. For me? That would be a bad trade off, but I figured you might like to hear about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can anyone tell me how many “sizes” does Alice have in demo version?
I’m just asking cause it’s important for me, it would also nice to know difference between amount of sizes in Demo and patreon version, cause i’m starting to think about buying my first “subscribtion” on patreon :smiley:

The filesize concerns are from those who have been having problems downloading the game. I really don’t want to compress the images any further though. We’ll see. I’ve been asked a few times for a mobile versions, so I’m sure I’ll end up experimenting with further compression at some point :stuck_out_tongue: