The Weighting Game - WIP

Potentially yes but, at the moment as tiggertoo has indicated it is an idea they have been playing around with more so then confirmed.

1 Like

Once again, @Krodmandoon is quite right :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

another question for tiggertoo, how do you plan out the storyline? was it all done beforehand or do you do it as the story progresses

A bit - okay a lot - of both to be honest. Alice, Hannah, Sarah and Janet were all ( very roughly - I never go into much detail until I need to) scripted out from the outset. I’m making up the other characters as I go along.

But, I also change stuff! For example, the original Hannah was never meant to get fat, and Sarah was originally scheduled to appear about halfway through the story, not from the start.

Of course, all the changes I make mean that the orgininal story for Alice etc. needs changing too, so while I am still broadly sticking to the original storyline that I worked out almost 2 years ago, I’m constantly adding new bits to tie in with the other characters, or that I think might be good :slight_smile:

11 Likes

is there a discord server?

There is no discord or Twitter for the game.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s no DIscord. I did consider setting one up ages ago, but up until I got ill, almost every spare minute I had went on the game, so I wouldn’t have been able to devote enough attention to it.

1 Like

Your really active as far as updates and replies, either here or on patreon. So if you feel a discord wouldn’t provide any different or meaningful way to connect with your community then you already do, then I don’t see an issue.

1 Like

I’m not as active as I should be on Patreon… but most of that is because Patreon is a bag of shit. The app ONLY sends me a notification if a creator I follow posts something or sends a message, NOT if one of my patreons contacts me.

3 Likes

Could just be my opinion but your very active here and on pateron and I appreciate that. It’s always easy to know what’s going on with the project. A few updates a month and as often and you respond seems like plenty to me. I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself :stuck_out_tongue:

Tigger, since you’ve been posting pretty frequently I gotta ask a question that’s been stuck in my head for months.

But what was the motivation behind Alice changing up her hairstyle after the first few weight stages? Was it just for fun? Or did it have something to do with model clipping on the fatter models, for example?

I’m a sucker for clever workarounds in game development and was curious if this was one.

3 Likes

yepp it felt really refreshing to see alice change her hairstyle, it felt more immersive in a way, like characters are changing beyond just the weight/clothes, would love to see more of it in the future

4 Likes

I’d love to say it was completely just for fun, but you’re quite right, it’s to do with the character model, although not for size reasons.

When I started writing the game, all the characters (and their hairstyles) were Genesis 3 as they were the best value for money. Around v0.3, I decided to convert Alice and Hannah to Genesis 8 as this gave more flexibility in clothes, morph targets etc. The Alice model converted well, but the hair wasn’t too happy about it. You may have noticed just before Alice’s new hairstyle that in a few scenes, her hair looks really bad. So, I decided to change it to a G8 hair model.

I did quite a few test images - still have a couple so I’ll paste them below. They’re both using the G8 version of Alice. If you look at the front view with the old hair (left), you can see how it breaks up around the collar. And that’s with her head in default position. Moving the head at all made it look a lot worse. With the side view pic (I was still tweaking the colour at that point!), if you look at the old hair on the right, you can see the collar area breaking up again, plus it doesn’t flow anything like as naturally over her back and chest.

I did toy with changing Hannah’s hair too, but hers tends to look okay, so thought I’d leave it!

13 Likes

Definitely was the right decision in my opinion. Alice’s old hair with the new model looks fine but the new G8 hair looks fantastic.

4 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to explain! Looks like you definitely made the right call changing it!

2 Likes

Honestly the new hair’s better anyway, the old style (at least when side-by-side with the new one) was kind of Karen from Accounting.

2 Likes

I do think this sort of behind the scenes look into the development side of things would be popular on patreon. I understand though, the user interface on patreon sucks, so it makes perfect sense you’d rather post here.

3 Likes

I agree. I’d be happy to discuss this sort of thing (I love chatting about the game in case nobody’s noticed) on Patreon, but the simple fact is that nobody asks questions like this on there. It’s really not a suitable platfrom for casual chat (basically, as you say, the interface sucks). I’d guess over 90% of the questions I get on there are simply ‘when’s the next version going to be ready’…

7 Likes

Is there a chance that we’ll ever see Alice using a mobility scooter? She keeps getting fatter and lazier, and she’s committed to her gains, so I’d love to see that. I believe I saw such a scooter on DAZ before, but can’t recall for sure.

1 Like

I’ve been asked this one a few times and the answer is almost certainly no, I’m afraid.

There is indeed a mobility scooter in the Daz store https://www.daz3d.com/the-wanderer-mobility-scooter, but it’s highly unlikely that I’ll ever make use of it.

Partly because the larger you make a Daz character, the worse it looks and from my experiments, Alice would look awful at immobilty size, but mostly because I’m not into immobility myself and if I moved the game into that territory, I think it’d quickly become obvious that I was forcing myself to write it rather than writing for enjoyment.

edit Forgot to mention that a lot of the stuff in my game is (loosely) based on personal experience. I have no experience with immobility at all, so that’s another factor against it.

7 Likes