The Weighting Game - WIP

Whaaaat?? But… I was sure MY jokes were the absolute worst!

Now I’m freaking jealous!

1 Like

Google? Never heard of that…

googles it

I was half expecting “Goes to Bing.

5 Likes

I was tempted to say ‘Archies it’, but firstly, almost nobody would know what that was without googling and secondly, I don’t want anyone knowing that I’m old enough to remember using it :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I thought of one thing that might work as well, for particularly rough scenes that require a lot of deformation you could use a base object and set it’s transparency to 0 and use it to deform an object instead.

Anyone remember AskJeeves?

7 Likes

A lot depends on how many nodes there are in the area you’re deforming. Sadly, the waist/belly area has comparatively few so deformers simply don’t work that well. A few of my images have deformers in (such as the one below which simulates the MC’s hand squeezing Alice’s fat), but even after a LOT of experimentation, the end result isn’t that effective.

And spookily enough, I achieved that effect by… drumroll… using a base object and setting the transparency to zero! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That’s pretty funny, I guess when you do things long enough you learn tricks like that.

1 Like

If you don’t exercise for while in the game it says something along the lines of “you are starting to feel unfit go to gym to exercise” (probably wasn’t even close) so do the mc gain weight?

1 Like

Nah, I’m pretty sure that’s just related to the post-pub pizza scenes. There are different images based on whether you have the strength to lift Alice’s current weight upstairs.

2 Likes

MC does not gain weight but there is unique dialogue from Alice in some scenes based on MC fitness level from working out. Alice does after all like them muscley thighs.

2 Likes

It makes me wonder what’s the heaviest weight MC can still lift Alice if he’s been regularly working out? It’s the sort of minor detail I could see being rewarded with special dialogue ("… I’m impressed that you’re still able to carry me!") and an achievement, were they a thing.

3 Likes

That’s definitely a question for tiggertoo or one of our more code savvy friends. I do know that the MC fitness affects how long the MC can lift Alice.

I believe there is special dialogue for both not being able to lift/ still being able to lift Alice at certain weights but I don’t remember it being unique as she gets bigger. I think it is reused the longer she is still able to be lifted by the main character. Would definitely be cool to acknowledge the MC in that way though.

1 Like

Nope, the MC doesn’t gain weight, at least not visibly. The player fitness stuff is mostly to encourage you to visit the gym and see what’s going on there. There are a couple of trigger scenes at the gym that you need to see in order for the game to progress and it’s not really obvious in the current version of the game when you need to do this. 0.7 (almost finished!) will have an optional hint system to give a better idea of when you need to visit certain locations to progress the game. Fitness does affect some dialogue from Alice as well as not being able to lift her in the pizza scene.

I did contemplate an achievement system, but the game is generally pretty linear so far, so not really much point. Would be fun though - ‘Alice is too full to go for a run- achievement unlocked!’ :slight_smile: MAybe one day, but don’t hold your breath :slight_smile:

9 Likes

So, uh, transparency 0 base object to deform, does that mean there is an invisible sphere or some such pressing against her in that image?

1 Like

On the back of this previous post about rising rent, you weren’t kidding as I had only just noticed the rent leaping from 50 to 100. A small request, but could the “It’s time to pay the rent.” description be updated so as to highlight these upticks?

Would be neat to see the increased impact of Alice’s waistline is having on MC’s increased outgoings!

1 Like

@namad, that’s exactly what it means. Couple of pics from the Daz preview window to illustrate… (both are the same image as the one above - just from a different angle)

In this first pic, I’ve made the primatives visible to show how they deform the figure (took ages tweaking the modifiers to get this!). Ignore the highlighted picture frame in the background, I left the mouse hovering over it :stuck_out_tongue:

This second picture shows why the effect isn’t that great. I’ve turned the mesh view on so you can see the nodes on Alice. The ones on her stomach are pretty big, so it’s not possible to have a lot of deformation detail there (unlike, say, her face, which has the nodes a lot closer together).

I’m really hoping the next generation of Daz figures has a much higher resolution mesh to allow for better effects of this type. Then again, maybe I shouldn’t hope that. If it does, I might well end up rerendering a load of images to take advantage of this :stuck_out_tongue:

@AlexKay the rent doesn’t leap from 50 to 100. It increments in amounts of 10 each time Alice goes up a size. I’d imagine you (and everyone else!) didn’t spot this as money didn’t matter much in 0.6. But 0.7 will tell you how much the rent is each week :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I think in daz 4.6 there was a developer plugin that leaked that gave “Multi-Resolution Morph Support” but I think the only way to try and stomach definition in daz currently would be some sort of kludge using the zbrush export/import pipeline. Although at the point at which someone is a master of zbrush, they’re probably also simultaneously too professional to be using daz anyways? hmm.

This behind the scenes look is appreciated, although I do feel like this sort of behind the scenes sneak peak at techniques is what patreon members love to pay for.

So, it’s a shame you don’t post more stuff like this over there. Although like I said, I get it, interacting on patreon sucks because the UI is awful.

1 Like

Base figure gen8.

Base figure gen8.1 which daz themselves describes as an upgrade for facial features and facial expressions which comes free when you upgrade daz studio to the latest versions Victoria & Michael | Genesis 8.1 | Daz 3D

Same number of stomach sections, but the subsections have been doubled it seems. No idea if that would help you with deformations or not though.

Also, there’s the HD add-ons from daz3d, but I honestly have no idea what they might do as their description is so vague and confusingly over my head.

1 Like

This picture really shows why working on this is taking a while. The difference from this screenshot pre and the photos from the game post rendering is astonishing and the sheer amount of time rendering these must be a shit ton. This isn’t even taking in consideration the time it takes to even “pose” the characters for rendering in the first place. Really impressive.

6 Likes