Thick Space Training by BellyBelting and CrystalCore

I do not know how to run it on a linux computer. I just went through the process of exporting it to linux.

this has your answer

This game looks wicked cool. Grade A artwork. Neat concept. It is difficult, which is fine. You can see bullets coming from the sides with the low light vision you have, which is good.

What I really dislike is the next to no vision you have vertically. It feels like whenever I explore vertically I get shot by turrets before I know they are there. And with no cooldown for taking damage, I’m insta-killed most of the time, or run into more surprise turrets while running away from the incoming bullets.
This may have to do with that turrets don’t begin firing until they are on screen. This makes some parts easier, like running along a long horizontal straight knowing where the turrets are before they start firing. But when a line of turrets surprise you from below, and immediately shoots, it’s incredibly difficult to dodge.

Suggestions to fix these (IMO) issues:
-Make the window for the game a square, with both vertical and horizontal borders having some shadowy vision like the horizontal borders currently have. I think this would be the best solution. You’d know that turrets are ahead before a bullet is about to hit you. There may be technical issues with doing this and I’d completely understand that.
-Make turrets begin firing from the beginning of the game, and not just once the character is detected. This would make the game harder, but more fair. You’d know there are unseen turrets above or below you before you are dead, as you’d be tipped off by their bullets.
-Make a half-second damage cooldown where you cannot take another heart of damage. This wouldn’t fix the issue, but it would prevent turret surprises from becoming game ending (at least without them happening 3 times). This would also allow players to explore more of the map before dying, allowing them to better understand turret placement. If the goal of the game is to memorize the map and turret placement, this would help the player achieve that goal with less frustration.

Maybe I just really suck at this game, or didn’t give it enough time. I’m sorry for being so critical, but to me these are problems that make the game next to unplayable.

2 Likes

No it is hard and you are right.

I wanted to make it square but by the time i had that idea it would have taken too long.
But thats on me.

I forgot about I-Frames which is odd because thats what i focus in most games.

The reason for the cannons to have a Target Zone was too keep entities low.
I also wanted to learn how to make Targeting Zones so thats why it was done like that. I would have made it a constant fire otherwise.

Thanks for playing the game though. We will possibly continue with it at some point because of the other ideas we did not get to use. But I will make sure to keep all of this in mind.

1 Like

Thank you for making the game!

It’s easy to criticize as a player, but it’s obvious that a whole lot of work went into this and besides this one issue it seems great!

2 Likes

As others have said, the gameplay is pretty sound aprt from the limited visibility is a chore.

Artwise though!! The art tho!!! The art/aniamtion is absoutely gorgeous and one of my favourite entries in the jam. The four-direction run on the protagonist is great and the expanding human makes me tug my collar and say “zoopity boopity” which is awkward to talk about but I feel praise very much worth saying!

1 Like

All Art was done by BellyBelting

Grotlover2 Score

| Category | Total |

| —: | :–|

| Basics: | 10000 |

| Art: | 365 |

| Writing: | 0 |

| Concept/Design | 500 |

| Msc: | 160 |

| Total: | 11025 |

Comments:

So, while this game did not score very high for me its mainly because there did not feel to me much game there. Its a fairly simple collect and move concept which may have benefited from having some more mechanics then that. The AI also did not seem to work all that well with the turrets not activating most of the time. That being said the game gets some props for its art and its feel. While not much is there the movement felt really good and the art was quite nice as well though would have liked to see some more animations mainly when pushing the human around. Nailing that movement was honestly very impressive though and the running animation helped to sell it.

Jux Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 310 |

| Concept/Design | 498 |

| Msc: | 15 |

| Total: | 10823 |

Comments:

Art and animations were good. The one criticism I will focus on is the lack of visibility. As it was, I just kind of wandered through the maze and got lucky finding the juice. Seems the challenge should be to find a path and time a path properly past the energy bolts, but without information it’s just trial and error. You don’t need to give the player total information, but they should have enough to try and make plans for the future.

Kilif Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 315 |

| Concept/Design | 480 |

| Msc: | 40 |

| Total: | 10835 |

Comments:

I feel like this was more of a sketch of an idea, rather than a fully realized project, as the weight gain of the central character didn’t actually come into play at all, other than to open a door. Had that character been used, say, at different weights to unlock new areas and solve puzzles, that could have been interesting. Without that, though, you have a basic idea of dodging bullets and collecting items that, I feel, doesn’t actually utilize the theme as the fetish wasn’t really core to the gameplay. The sprite work was well done, and the animations/walk cycle was very well done, this project clearly just needed more time to flesh out the ideas.

S&S Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 370 |

| Concept/Design | 540 |

| Msc: | 160 |

| Total: | 11070 |

Comments:

Squirrel Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 280 |

| Concept/Design | 530 |

| Msc: | 80 |

| Total: | 10890 |

Comments:

The gameplay is solid once you�ve got a general feel for things. Its a good use of the theme and the art accompanies it well, I hope to see this idea expanded more in the future, there�s a good foundation to build upon here!

Scores

Art: 1640

Writing: 0

Sound: 0

Design: 2548

Total: 54643