Tramp 0.15.5 2023-06-15

Just started up the game and I like it so far. The writing is good and I’m interested to see where it goes.
One thing I’m experiencing though, I’m playing the Mac version of the 0.15.3 update and it seems as though the weight tracker in the corner is stuck saying 88?lbs or 40?kg. I’m not sure what the rate of gain is , I’ve only gone through 10 in game days, and the number has not changed. Is this a bug or does the game have a pretty slow burn?

1 Like

Its pretty slow burn unless you rush it. The weight you see doesn’t update until you use a scales, which early on isn’t very often. There’s effectively a capacity mechanic for how much you can eat so early on you can’t gain that fast, later on you really really can

2 Likes

I second @VeryFake69 on the “hun” thing. Here in the states its the accepted short term. The average person has no idea about the German bit. If you hear hun and think nationality, you think of “the Huns,” and most people these days are thinking of the Disney version. Is that ignorance on our part? Most likely. but English is a broken language thats occasionally Drunk.

3 Likes

There are mentions of the main characters appearance dotted around, you just have to keep an eye open for them. I know one example is said by Steve during a specific event, so perhaps it might be worth smattering around some more in easier to find locations, that being said I don’t find myself constantly thinking about my hair, eye and skin colour as I live my day to day life, I do however think of my height and weight as they tend to be things that are much more noticeable.

This stays like this until you notice you’ve gained weight, depending on how you are eating in game this can take a week or several.
Just keep at it, play the game how you want. I know it’s tempting to rush but as it’s been mentioned the best thing is to just chill and get into the character, it’s good to remember you play as a drifter who has never stayed in one place for long, sure taking advantage of the free food sounds great for someone who has struggled, but you still have limits. Besides that, taking it slow might actually have some benefits down the track.
Plus, who knows what will change in the future that might require a slower approach?

Having a bit of an issue here, trying to play on andoid, using joiplay. Ren’py plugin is up to date and everything. Haven’t seen anyone else reporting this issue.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/splashscreen.rpy", line 11, in script
  File "game/splashscreen.rpy", line 11, in <module>
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'info'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "00start.rpyc", line 240, in script call
  File "game/splashscreen.rpy", line 11, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1131, in execute
  File "renpy/python.py", line 1063, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "game/splashscreen.rpy", line 11, in <module>
  File "renpy/exports.py", line 3465, in set_physical_size
  File "renpy/exports.py", line 3246, in get_renderer_info
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'info'
1 Like

Having trouble getting the achievement “I did it!”. Got the main character to her goal weight and below twice and it hasn’t triggered.

1 Like

“hun” is short for “hunnie”. “hon” is the less popular spelling imo.

3 Likes

Thank you!

I’m aware of both spellings “hon” and “hun” and debated about this for a while, but prefer the more popular “hun”. To be fair, “Hun” refering to the ethnic group is a proper noun and would be capitalised, and there would only be confusing at the start of a sentance. I don’t think it is currently used as a derogatory term having gone out of use after the end of WWII (unlike others that have persisted - I’m not going to mention those). Also “Hon” has a different meaning when written with an initial capital, and most dictionaries don’t include contractions.

There’s a brief description of the PC at the very start of the game before you are asked what “name” you intend to use, and both the PC other NPCs comment on her appearance. As @Morganism mentions, these are scattered around the game.

Long term art is intended, which shoud clarify things, but a certain amount of ambiguity is intentional. Once I actually have reference art, I’ll probably go back and reclarify things.

This is my experience too.

I know of the derogatory term. The Huns in Mulan (assuming that’s the Disney context you’re referring to) are actually real members of the ethinc group.

As @VeryFake69 mentions it only updates once you can weigh yourself as it represents what the PC knows, and is the same across all versions. As @Morganism mentions the game favours a slow and steady approach.

That’s before the game code even starts running - it’s just RenPy starting up, so not my code. At some point there will be a side-loadable Andriod version. I’m not in a position to help with JoiPlay.

That’s a bug, as it only triggers the achievement in one of the two places it can drop. I’ll do a patch soon as there’s another achiemenent that can’t be unlocked at all in the current version. Watch this space…

3 Likes

Great game, beautiful writing. The characters feel like actual people, so much that the small set of them already makes it feel like a real small town. You effortlessly created this gem in your spare time, wow!

Lovely relationship dynamics. Especially with Sofia, the dynamic between her and the MC is so adorable and cute.

I would bet the town and some people isn’t too far from maybe your (dingotush’s) hometown and/or other real life experiences?!

Anyways: Thanks a LOT for making this available for everyone!

5 Likes

I know what I’m doing tomorrow… but off to bed now.

1 Like

Can I just say how nice it is to have Tramp to play again! I really enjoyed the first version - slow and steady at first, as you mention. MC is up to about #130 at present so long way to go. She has just helped Sofia out at the diner for the first time.

Thank you!

2 Likes

This is now fixed in 0.15.4 - see OP. You’ll still need to complete a diet to get it though.

Thank you! I wanted to make something that felt grounded in reality and a small town setting really helped me avoid initial scope creep and keep the setting “tight”. At this stage I wouldn’t call it effortless though!

I had a lot of fun writing Sofia - she was the first character to get away from me and expand this from a “what is it like to create a game using RenPy” proof-of-concept to “I need to develop this further and tell these stories.”

This made me laugh, and then smile. You’d be out by a few thousand miles! For reference I’m from the UK. Having said that I have spent a fair few months in the USA over the years and done a few road-trips too, so I’m not unfamiliar with places that are a little out of the way. That it’s even plausible I could have a deeper knowledge than I actually do makes me happy.

Enjoy! Meanwhile I’ll keep the code editor warmed up…

Yes, a long ways to go yet. I hope you enjoy the new content that kicks in later; one of my favourite playful scenes lies ahead…

4 Likes

Funny how some of the best games are written by Brits! I’m one too, though not talented like you!

1 Like

Brits have given us tons of great stories in books as well

1 Like

Hell yeah new Tramp update

1 Like

What’s new in the 0.15.4 version as opposed to 0.15.3? I can’t find any mention of the release of 0.15.4 in the thread atm.

1 Like

It fixes a problem with the “I did it!” achievement not dropping in many cases mentioned by @BadIdea4, and removes the game over achievement which cannot drop in the current version. Unless you are chasing achievements there’s no other practical difference between patch 3 and patch 4.

What can I say? Obviously, shout out to my fellow Brits (you know who they are) and the long history of computer pioneers and bedroom coders! But, seriously, don’t put yourself down.

True, but I’m not going to be precious about it, so have authors from many other countries. Though if you like a mix of urban fantasy and police procedural do read the “Rivers of London” novels (not WG related).

Enjoy!

1 Like

::chuckles:: I like how it teases you for trying to eat at the warm pool on the mountain when you’re not remotely hungry = P

2 Likes

Just had a thought of suggestion; on the “power outage” event, it would be fun if you had to stuff yourself with Sofia’s lasagna (however many portions are left at the time) before it spoils. Potentially quite a challenge and push in the earlier stages depending on the timing.

9 Likes

I mean, not WG related but it features several lovely large ladies, especially in book 2

2 Likes