Undertail: Can Spiders Even Get Fat??

I’m announcing this now in hopes of the shame of release-failure cures me of my armchair game dev hobby, and turns it into an actual game dev hobby!

So here it is! A Dedalus engine game! Teach a spider how to cook human food. Learn of her tragic past. Be amazed at what things like “mass” and “flavor” can do to a monster’s body. Hide the wifi password from Jerry!

Features:

[ul][li]A text adventure game with interesting graphics. A rich HTML5 experience of music, sound, and

s[/li]
[li]Animated, specially commissioned art of everyone’s favorite boss-outta-nowhere, Muffet.[/li]
[li]Kill all your friends! (maybe. it is an Undertale fan game afterall.)[/li]
[li]Did I mention the Muffet weight gain.[/li]
[li]real recipes?? Learn how to make the food from the game! You and Muffet can gain together.[/li][/ul]

2 Likes

Hang on, is this in the making, or is the game hidden somewhere in the file, though I’m thinking not…just asking for clarification.

Looks like “in the making” for now. His first sentence mentions shame as a motivator.

Yeah sorry! The art dude just finished my commission and I got excited.

Most of the engine work is done. I just gotta write some words, hook up pictures, rewrite the CSS so it works on phones. And then find a place that can host html + css + javascript and doesn’t have a no lewd policy.

No game yet. Still in the making. Will have some thing playable soon I hope.

I promise to you all, this WILL be playable at some point. Even if it just turns into a parody quiz game. I’m going to finish something and not just write poorly thought out posts about game mechanics and engine design.

Was going to respond sooner, but was somewhat distracted.

• had to look up Daedelus engine.
  • had to look up Undertale.
  • then looked up Life as a Monster.
  • then went through my discovery cue.
  • then played some Crusader Kings 2.
  • debated whether or not I’m developing ADD
  • remembered to come back and respond

Not bad for forty minutes. Anyway, this could be interesting. I’ve always enjoyed interactive fiction. That said, your subtitle presents an interesting question: how does a spider even gain weight?

[quote=“PeachClamNine, post:4, topic:1153”]Yeah sorry! The art dude just finished my commission and I got excited.

Most of the engine work is done. I just gotta write some words, hook up pictures, rewrite the CSS so it works on phones. And then find a place that can host html + css + javascript and doesn’t have a no lewd policy.

No game yet. Still in the making. Will have some thing playable soon I hope.

I promise to you all, this WILL be playable at some point. Even if it just turns into a parody quiz game. I’m going to finish something and not just write poorly thought out posts about game mechanics and engine design.[/quote]

My hosting doesn’t have a no lewd policy, obviously. Cheap too.

NO WAY! COUNT ME OUT! I DON’T WANT ANY PART OF THIS! >:(

Woah. I did not see that one coming.

I can’t tell if that guy is joking or not.

Oooo, screen shot. Exciting to see. Now, I’ve not played Undertale myself. Are the three responses standard to your game design? And are they attached to certain axes? What I mean is something like a muscle-fat-thin triangle, or something similar? Not sure I used the right plural for axis, either, but bad English aside…

I can’t wait~! Muffet is such a cutie…

I actually am afraid of spiders…

but I already feel like I can’t escape.

Hope you’re able to make some good progress.

Trust me, he’s not joking. Having seen him on a few other websites, I’m surprised this is the first time I’ve seen him caps lock at something, completely unwarranted.

[quote=“hedkrakka, post:10, topic:1153”]I can’t tell if that guy is joking or not.

Oooo, screen shot. Exciting to see. Now, I’ve not played Undertale myself. Are the three responses standard to your game design? And are they attached to certain axes? What I mean is something like a muscle-fat-thin triangle, or something similar? Not sure I used the right plural for axis, either, but bad English aside…[/quote]

Axes is the right word. I get what you are saying, and that would be an interesting idea for a game. But no, there aren’t specific choices that affect Muffet’s gain. It is strictly a “solve puzzle, receive fatness” sort of game. I only had the art budget for the one sequence…

I hope the quality of the sequence makes up for that. And my (hopefully) gripping story and humorous jokes will help turn it from just an art sequence to an enjoyable experience.

This looks good. Will you do more after this when it is done?

Very exciting! Having already commissioned the art will probably motivate you, too. Keep us updated on progress!

Hm. How does one install a game if it uses Dedalus?

You don’t! It’s a static website. You can download it and open the html file in your favorite web browser, or I can host it somewhere and you can just navigate to the URL. This is good because it means you can play it on anything that has a web browser. Mobile support for almost free.

Well, I would LOVE to see the art. I can’t wait!

Will there be other characters like Toriel be there, too?