"Vampire Manor" - A PSX Style Stealth Horror Game

Hi guys! I mentioned some ideas for this project in another thread when I was tossing around ideas, and I still may be premature in making a thread for this, but I’m at the stage where I have stuff to share so I thought it would be time.
This project, currently called “Vampire Manor” though it may be retitled later, will be a psx/retro style horror stealth game where you play as a female vampire trying to take out the vampire hunters who have invaded your castle. The trick (and perhaps the treat for us) is that as you suck the blood of the tresspassers you get more bloated and with that your burps echo through the castle and give away your location meaning you have to manage your bloating stat while trying to sneak up on the hunters.
The game is going to be made in Unreal engine which I’ve worked on some non-fetish-y projects in before, but I’m currently working on designing the basic art assets, starting with our anti-heroine. Here’s a quick video test I made of the character I modeled in Maya (temporary textures and missing face texture since it will be animted) showing her blend shape function of her different weight gain stages. In the game, it will obviously happen much slower but this is just for demonstration.
Gain Blendshape Test

Still a lot to figure out on this project and it’s kind of a back burner thing whenever I need to step away form my personal projects/work, but would love to discuss it more with ya’ll and I hope to have more to share soon!

UPDATE: Current Build Demo

44 Likes

why is there no face ?

1 Like

So, most of the model is comprised of one texture file which may have minor changes during gameplay (still deciding if I want to add variations of blood splattered or more defined cleavage/stretches depending on player actions) but the face will need to have actual animations or at least more still textures to move through, so it’s two seperate textures for the mouth and the eyes which can be switched out. I haven’t drawn any of those yet and when I rendered this test, I hadn’t even made a placeholder (which it has now).

3 Likes

Here’s how she’s looking today with the temp face!

15 Likes

I don’t know, I like her derpy face here.

2 Likes

What a fitting time of the year to introduce this concept. Also a PSX style game will also be interesting to see, so points for uniqueness. The concept kind of reminds me of that one segment from Conker’s Bad Fur Day where you feed that one vampire dude until he gets too fat and falls to his death. Except here you are the one doing the eating yourself.

2 Likes

Looks promising. Looking forward to more on this.

3 Likes

Well this sounds crazy up-my-alley so really looking forward to where it goes!

Also hard agree on enjoying her current face design :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here’s a first look at the current build in Unreal! I’m learning as I go on a lot of this but I’m happy with progress so far. The vampire is rigged and has walking and idle animations that vary depending on weight level.
She can move around her enviornment with speed based on her weight, and there’s a retro camera system (not fixed/tank controls but designed to feel like a early 3D game design with the limitation of those controllers). I currently have her weight gain tied to a temporary key/amount for now since getting enemies are going to take some time to implement.
She can charge her burps to power them up and relieve some of her bloat, which keeps her moving fast.
There are torches (currently just temporary models) that detect whether the player is in the light (and thus visible to enemies). In this version you can see a spotlight shine down on her when she’s visible but I’ll probably remove that once enemies can respond. You can burp out the torches with small ones able to blow them out at close distances and bigger ones able to from further away.

Let me know what you guys think of how it’s looking! Most everything is still very temporary and while I have goals for my next stage of work, any feedback can help me shape the game moving forward!

– D.R.

23 Likes

can you make so you can swap back to the old face ?

1 Like

Wow, good progress! I do like the aesthetic and overall how it looks so far. The lights/burping mechanics is cool to.What other mechanics do you plan to implement since, as you said, it’s a stealth game?

1 Like

New face is still just a temp one too. Nothing will be locked until I start doing facial animations/face states. I could definitely add a toggle now, but once we get into that stage where the face needs to have many variations, it might be harder to have two versions of every expression.

3 Likes

So, moving forward, adding enemies (the hunters) who patrol and would be aware of noises around them is the biggest priority and one that is going to take some work to figure out for me. Just as you can blow out torches with burps, you’ll also be able to stun hunters with them which is one of the only ways to survive a head on encounter whereas normally you’d have to sneak up behind.
I’m also looking to add a system for uncontrolled burps caused by movement, something I had working when I recorded this demo, but turned off because I’m not happy with the implementation yet and want to add a system that feels more dynamic.
Obviously a lot of future aesthetic changes too like adding an animation for rubbing the stomach to charge a burp, facial animations, the actual castle setting and its level design, etc.
But I’m still fleshing out some of the mechanics as I go, with a more basic version in mind as my initial goal, but any suggestions would be welcomed!

4 Likes

very cool. looks like you have a lot of features planned that might interact with each other. You could split the hunters up into slightly different types to shake up gameplay I think. For example, one might relight torches and another might be immune to stun entirely

3 Likes

Have you thought of an ability/abilities for your vampiress to have based on vampire lore like turning into a bat or mist?

2 Likes

Looks very good. I wanna play soon.

1 Like

Apparently its against guidelines to ask if something is still being worked on lmao. Either way everything that’s been shown looks great this far

1 Like

i know it is a super odd thing

It’s not. Not only does asking for updates potentially put unnecessary pressure on a developer, if we allowed it threads would be full of no content postings of people just asking over and over again if something was being worked on. And posting something notifies everyone following that topic of a new post just for the post to be something of no content and making it harder to find information within the threads and have meaningful discussions etc. Let alone the large increase in work it would require to moderate.

8 Likes

Hi! Game is not scrapped or anything but I’ve been prioritizing other non-fetish projects that are long overdue so progress on this game has been paused for the time being. I love all of the support I’ve gotten on what I’ve shared so far, but it’s a little harder to prioritize a fetish game that I can’t put on my artistic resume or even feel comfortable putting my name on to add to my body of work vs projects that, even if they’re also being released for free, will at least potentially help further my career, which is important as a young digital artist trying to get more work out there.

6 Likes