Want to know how to make dialogue sound less stiff!

Making a game about a pilot being teleported to a dimension with addicting food who eventually gives in to their impulses and starts willingly gaining weight. Gonna release this on my itch.io account (https://food-n-malice.itch.io/) and there’s going to a be a ground control type person who slyly encourages her to gain weight. So far, I can’t figure out how to make the encouragement less outright, and also if there should be multiple ending a la “Esther and the magical space feast”. Working on a bigger slice of life wg game but this is my first official game so any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forums. My advice for making dialogue sound natural is try to pretend to be each character and try have a conversation with yourself. It would be best if you can do this out loud and recorded it somehow to play back later. That way when you listen back you can hear what sounds awkward or clunky, but the important thing is to think about how you would react to what the other person is saying and if the character would do something different, why that would be. I’ve often found that writing and acting can be very similar skill sets in terms of building characterization.

6 Likes

I actually never thought of that, but yeah I guess the most natural way to write a conversation is to have a conversation lol. Cheers buddy!

1 Like

sometimes the most obvious solutions are the hardest to find.

Best of luck with your project! Looking forward to seeing what ends up of it.

Building on that, sometimes it can be hard to put yourself in the place of a character if they are quite different to you. I’ve found that one thing you can try then is to take characters you know well from books, tv etc, put them in that place and think how they’d react

2 Likes