Wgrpg

I mean, It’s already open source. I actually just connected to the git for it too.

Though I can’t say that I’m 100% fond of it overall. Open source is nice for most software, but for something artistic like a game? Eh~~~

There’d just be too many clashing ideas. I wouldn’t mind doing that for systems. Like “Hey, I got a crafting system to work” or event “Hey I have this one event I wrote.” But an entire story like that? No thanks.

There’s also the issue of organizing that. What’s to stop people from coming in an messing up peoples work they just don’t like? People can get weirdly particular about stuff like this.

I’ll poke around and think on it, but I don’t think it should be done haphazardly.

I’m actually not sure how, but I got it working. I think it had to do with something weird registering a user, which caused the character creation to fail silently. However, before I got it working, I also did try changing all the “None” default values in the RPG Character table to be NULL or something hopefully reasonable. That may have also fixed it.

It was the former. I mentioned it earlier. Known issue due to messing around with the tables manually

I’ve not gotten to the part of logging in. Have been trying to import the files but the process either returns with an error or just won’t show any files imported into the db. Not sure what I’m doing when it comes to this sort of thing I’m a novice. I initially tried it with the original zip.sql files and that showed them as imported on the db but when I tried the 4th step (localhost/wgrpg) it returned with a 404 error stating the browser couldn’t find the location. Now when trying to import the files from the git hub either indiviual or the whole .zip folder. It does not show anything imported on the db. Like I said I’m a bit of a novice with this stuff so I’m not sure what it is I’m doing wrong or what I may have missed.

Someone else is going to have to help you with the folder thing. I don’t have time to troubleshoot every person who wants to play this thing.

As for the DB stuff, you have to drop the database (delete it) and make a new one. It won’t import if the tables already exist.

Also, don’t use the zip. Download it off of the Github. The .sql you want is SQL/dbwgrpg.sql

1 Like

In case there’s any confusion, if all you want to do is get Turris Puesco running on your local computer you can ignore any downloads from this thread that aren’t the GitHub.

You want the green “Clone or Download” button on the GitHub, then click “Download ZIP”. Unzip the zip file, make sure the contents of it are in their own folder, rename that folder to wgrpg, then copy that wgrpg folder to the htdocs folder inside of the folder you installed XAMPP to. If you did it right and XAMPP Apache is running, then localhost/wgrpg should return the home page of the site. Make sure you have an empty dbwgrpg database in your PHPMyAdmin, then import the dbwgrpg.sql from the GitHub into it. This is located inside the wgrpg folder you copied into htdocs, inside the SQL folder. Import that, if you did it right it will take a few minutes for it to load. Once it’s done, you should be ready to create an account and play.

As far as open source/having multiple contributors, like he said, it already is open source*, and the way Git and GitHub work mean it’s already possible for more contributors. Anybody can fork the code (and a few people already have) and make their own changes, it’s just a matter of if they want those changes to be merged back into Cryptic’s master branch, and if Cryptic wants to approve those changes.

*Strictly speaking it’s not open source, since there’s no license published with the code, but that’s a pretty common oversight that doesn’t seem to apply in this case.

8 Likes

how far has anybody made it the game seems to dead end after the third floor

There’s nothing after the 3rd floor. Development hasn’t continued past that.

OK. So I’ve been at this for a few hours now and keep running into the same issue over and over.

Following eidde’s instructions, I managed to set everything up, but when I go to localhost/wgrpg, instead of the game, it’s displaying the code instead.

Honestly, I’m complete ass at this kind of stuff, so the solution is probably really simple, but I’d appreciate if someone pointed out my problem.

Edit: Never mind started working out of nowhere.

Does anyone know how the events/item/clothing was written? I’ve been trying to understand and make my own to add to the game, I found it’s java, and i think it was written in python. When i wrote my own, copying the original xml’s, it wouldn’t execute right. I want to make for events, and hopefully share them for this game, but I can’t seem to get it down, anyone have any ideas, or maybe a guide?

EDIT:Alright, almost as soon as i posted this, I managed to get my first event working. It’s a little complex, but well worth seeing custom stuff in the game.

Please keep in mind that this is stuff I wrote in less than 5 mins to test everything out lol.

What is this game? I don’t think I’ve seen this before… Is this a remake of the Wgrpg from way back?

I got everything set up, but how do I actually start the thing up?

in your browser: localhost/wgrpg

Not a remake. This is the full thing. Original files and all.

I got it to that point, but every time I try to make an account it says that the database is unknown

When I do local host it takes forever to load. So long that it has not finished in the span of 4 hours. Any suggestions on how to get the page to load somewhat quickly?

how exactly do I import the database for the game? do I copy and past it or is there something else that I need to do?

dumb question, but I assume there is no way to try and make the game non server based or at least do something that could make it run through the windows command shell as a server (I think thats a thing)?

1 Like

follow these instructions they worked for me, you will need to know how to operate XAMPP.

Heres the github link if you need it: GitHub - CrypticHistory/wgrpgv2

3 Likes

when trying to import the dbwgrpg.sql into phpmyadmin, i keep getting the error message “Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 300 seconds exceeded”. i’m stumbling through all the steps so i don’t know what to do. what do i do to fix this?