What jobs could an immobile character have?

For sure, such a system would have limitations. But I think these limitations could be worked around for high-class jobs. Instead of stairs, paths and working spaces could use gradual inclines and reserved lanes to allow immobilized people to wheel themselves from place to place. Obviously, such people could not do hand-labor, like carpentry. But, for example, could a well-fed diplomat find use in such a system to go from one smoke-filled room to another? Absolutely.

These systems would require a lot of structure, but this requirement isn’t really ridiculous if you factor in the type of people that would need the systems: immobilized people. Since the price of food necessitates the high class to hold the only possibility to engorge themselves into immobility, the rest of the stinkin’ masses would be able to live normally with their normal infrastructure.

By all means, poke holes in my argument. I love talking about fat societies!

4 Likes

Singing and fortune-telling wouldn’t require much movement aside from getting to the workplace.

2 Likes

@Seeker9043 @diorite In a society where car-sized people are normal, if not ubiquitous, architecture and technology would likely accommodate for them. Big doors, furniture, elevators, and public transportation (I’d expect some kind of thicc subway/metro?) would be the norm, since they couldn’t leave their house otherwise even if they’re able to shuffle from place to place.

2 Likes

I’d say that immobilized people would only be normal in future societies where food is dirt cheap, where transportation is a piece of cake with all of the new technologies. If you want to write a story about such a scenario, I’d suggest setting the story in a city in the middle of Nevada. Nevada has a vast, vast desert that has ample room for the massive infrastructure required for such a society.

However, assuming that we’re keeping things low-tech, fat-friendly infrastructure can be simply limited to the zone that the upper class inhabit. As I’ve said earlier, only the upper class could ever hope to feed themselves into immobility due to the price of food. Therefore, the total number of immobile people in a low-tech society would be small enough to only necessitate fatty accommodations in a small number of places.

2 Likes

I don’t get many at all. I get scammer calls, but not telemarketers. I don’t think people want to be that, but if your job choices are limited it seems like a good way to earn money.

1 Like

What kind of promised land are you living in…

4 Likes

Michigan of the USA :grin::ok_hand:

1 Like

depending on the enviroment you are doing you should think of jobs where not much movement is needed and they can work from a distance or they are the leader of an area