What kind of art do you like to see in a WG game?

Pixel art/quality art/anime/etc. what are your thoughts?

It depends in the game, but in general I like having quality art that you would find in visual novels

4 Likes

Pixel art for the sprites is always cool to see in RPGmaker games, and I think oftentimes it’s overlooked, and developers will just insert art panels that depict growth/wg, while the character sprites remain unchanged for the duration of the game. Games like Vale City come to mind, where the sprites don’t go through any visible changes, while there are 10 detailed growth stages for the character art when you view them in the menu or in battle.

6 Likes

I tend to like non-anime style art. Essentially, any art that actually looks like real life works really well for me. The 3D DAZ models are pretty great. I have a hard time immersing myself in sprites or anime style art, so the more to real life the art is the more I enjoy it.

I’ve never had a strong preference for any one style over the other. What really matters is quality over style and, almost more importantly, consistency.

Quality, in this case, refers to solid anatomy and good character design. And consistency in style and quality is huge since it’s distracting if one character were say, fully painted and masterfully drawn while another is essentially a rough first sketch.

Not to say you couldn’t have a game where different artists do different characters, I’m certain I’ve seen several, it’s just important in that case to ensure there’s consistency in the designs and theme.

3 Likes

More abstract cartoony stuff is my preference. A lot of the 3D render realism stuff falls into the uncanny valley for me.

4 Likes

I more prefer cartoonish over realistic, though with just a little realism here and there. Not too much to go into uncanny valley, but enough to make the character’s heft have folds and such.

3 Likes

Sometimes pixel art, but mostly anime because I’m a filthy weeb.

2 Likes

Anything that doesn’t use those uncanny Valley 3d models, tbh.

Even plain text

3 Likes

ooh more on this, is it better to see pixel character art or high res character art in a top down pixel game

1 Like

Ooh, that’s a tough one. High res breakouts are nice for the amount of detail you get, but there’s something to be said about seeing how big your character is getting compared to the environment around them.

4 Likes

I would say everything except pixel “art” or low poly 3D, I start to being tired of them both.

2 Likes

I love pixel art, but can’t stand 3D or western-cartoon.

2 Likes

I’m cool with most styles if they’re of good quality art and the body proportions are not too chibi.

1 Like

Mostly high quality cartoon drawings/3d models. None of that shitty Microsoft paint stuff with the disproportionate body parts and unrealistic belly growth with little gain in the other areas. Also the hyper realistic 3d models are very unsettling

1 Like

(edit for missing word/ E2: removed link to nazi artist and general asshole)
I’m cool with pretty much anything. I generally don’t like anime because of it’s associations with less than legal proclivity. But if your style isn’t like, intensely anime, and you aren’t making that kind of game then I more than likely won’t mind at all.

Aside from that, I like pixel art a lot! It’s basically infinitely flexible, and it takes quite a bit of skill to use well. It’s also nice for animation, witch is always welcome in games like these.

I like the idea of seeing how your character changes in relation to other characters and the environment. You can save normal drawings for like, character portraits in dialog or as a status check screen sort of thing.

I also think low poly 3D is a severely underexplored style. Leaving things to the imagination can be really powerful. Also, it can save you from having to do some things that you can’t avoid doing in a higher poly count situation.