What Type of Game is Preferred?

While I do have my own preferences, I’m not sure what everyone else enjoys. I would like to hear back about what types of games people like to see weight gain in (ex. Visual Novels, Platformers, etc.).

Your feedback would really help me and probably other developers unsure on what to create.

I prefer RPGS and Visual Novels, as both allow for interesting story’s surrounding the charcters weight gain, and Visual Novels allow for some great weight gain art

I really like RPGs and text adventures.
Text adventures leave a lot to your imagination and are a lot more descriptive in general.
RPGs are just a nice genre in general, letting you look around the world and set your own pace.

Text adventures are my favorite, art seems to be a big hurdle for amateur games without a budget, and good text works just as well for me. But as far as like RPGmaker games I go, I personally dislike when the gain is conveyed via sprites
Fetish Master is my favorite game because of how easily I can replace images (or just mod in general) for certain events and reference character descriptions.

3 Likes

I absolutely love RPGs. I think these are the greatest type of game, especially if they allow for a lot of customization.

Text adventures and “simulations” a la the old WGRPG from Kilif.

for this type of stuff i definitely prefer simulations and RPGs. The unnamed stuffing rpg and the fatty text adventure game immediately come to mind. though there are exceptions. the starbound fatties mod for example is a more action filled but it still works.

I prefer games in the Simulation and RPG genres for WG, as they usually tend to work the best for character progression.

I love working up towards a big goal as long as there’s plenty of variety inbetween the milestones, but it can also very easily become a drag if it isn’t done well enough.

RPG or Platformer. I’d like to have fun while still getting to see fetish stuff.

This may not be a direct answer to your question, but I like games where WG isn’t the one and only attraction. Like when the WG ends, the game is over. The genre isn’t too important to me, personally. I like Eat The Dungeon a lot because it kinda plays out like a dungeon crawler with the many rooms it has and will have. The WG just serves as a way to lvl up the characters and not an endgame reward, although that may change since I don’t know what the dev’s final plans are for the game.

On another note, I like games with a slow, accumulative WG system. Sudden jumps in weight put me off (if that’s your thing, get down with your bad self, I ain’t bashing lol)

4 Likes

Definitely RPG or text adventures, as it really feels like your choice as to how much someone gains, or if they will or not etc. Much more involved yourself with the weight gain of yourself or another character!

Visual Novels mainly, but with enough talent, i’ve seen people break out of the rpgmaker/renpy mold

I like games that I think are good foremost. Having WG mechanics is less important for me and if a game can have the WG taken out and still be fun, then that’s a big plus in my book. I’m more inclined to play games I enjoy and that tends to mean more than specific genres.

WG as a game element/theme tends to narrow design if the game is built to service the fetish/associated preferences because it means focusing on what showcases the changes involved. That is generally by one or more of three things; narrative (ie; descriptions & dialogue), mechanics (simulation & interaction) and visuals (pixels; moving or otherwise). Obviously, doing all three is the ideal but choice of genre/engine drastically alters the balance one way or another.

Combat and action-oriented games seem more difficult; they provide plenty of space for visuals but fitting the theme and featuring WG into gameplay (without making it less fun) is a challenge. That said, WG is more limited by developers than audience. Dedicated games tend towards VNs, Text Adventures and RPGmaker stuff because that is far easier to make and iterate.

Modding tends to fill the void of genres less likely to be made for various reasons, hence things like mods of Fo4, Skyrim and Starbound.

My preference would be for a game that merges multiple genres rather than being a purist experience. Princess Maker-esque fusion of life simulation and RPG lends itself well by having space for all three but is more time-consuming dev-wise. If it wasn’t for the fact the genre is oversaturated and stale, I’d also say survival games are suitable since they tend to already have hunger mechanics.

Steam seems to think I like singleplayer strategy shooter action simulation sandboxes that are also multiplayer open world survival games? I clearly don’t make their algorithms and tag systems.

Don’t worry too much about making the genre of game people seem to like.

3 Likes

^this. Basically the crux of my previous post.

1 Like

Text adventures that involve you/player gaining weight. Especially stories that go into detail about your struggles at different levels of obesity. (Getting out of bed, walking, clothing yourself, self pleasure) The best is when descriptive detail is put on the movement of the fat, like female/male tits wobbling or your gut slapping against your knees.

1 Like

I’m surprised at how many people seem to like text adventure games, which is awesome because they are the easiest to make for single developers.
Personally, I enjoy bright or simple attractive visuals to any game I play so I like visual novels and minigames. I also think everyone loves customisation, even if it’s a toggle for something e.g. if you’re making a game that involves vore, you may ask the player if they prefer gore or not. Customisation can also be in the form of multiple endings- a feature applicable to all game styles. The trick is making the player enjoy their unique experience the first time, and then adopt a completionist attitude and search for the other endings. That way, your game is played more than once and provides three times the fun of just a linear progression. I think that’s why RPGs for me haven’t been so much fun, because the ending is often either death or winning.
Or, the ability to customise the look of the characters in a minigame or an avatar in an RPG will be fun to a lot of people.

Anyway, here’s a list from my perspective outlining a few types of games and their pros and cons:

Text Adventure

• The easiest to produce out of all the game types.
  • Many people enjoy this type of game, but it’s easy to go wrong when making it.
  • For example, stories can be too dull, too simple, or not make sense. Writing is key.

Visual Novel

• The key is in the name. Visual novels require graphics and an interface that communicates well and is attractive to the player. This is the most difficult aspect thanks to the help of engine Renpy.
  • The game also needs some kind of story, as well as dialogue. These two are important for the novel part.
  • Players will enjoy a visual novel when it is done well, but it’s possible to make a good game with great graphics and dialogue that’s a little bit off, or vice versa. Interestingly, I find the visual novel medium the most forgiving game type.

Platformer

• Platformer games are the first traditionally dynamic game type. The ability to move in-game brings up a few issues and development pot-holes. When making a game with a moving character, you must have a GUI that is easy to read, and controls that are ergonomic to the player. Similarly, the feel of the game is very important, e.g. In Super Mario there is velocity and acceleration to add to the feel of the game, and create a fun mechanic.
  • Platformers don’t really need story or dialogue, making the writing part one of the easiest out of all types of games. Quite often the plot is linear and straight forward. e.g. Save the princess.

RPG

• I personally have a dislike for RPGs, possibly because of how easy it is to make an uninteresting game. using RPG maker is fine, like using renpy, it’s easy to cling to the default and that’s when boring games are born. Try to customise the GUI, sprites and story as much as you can, and plan maps so that they don’t end up as fields with two houses pasted in from the wrong kind of village asset.
  • RPG games often have a linear story similar to platformers, but it’s possible to create multiple endings easily. Deaths can often equate to endings and be fun to discover. e.g. Death by slime = consumed by slime, death by forest witch = force fed and captured.

Mingames

• The fun of minigames is how short they are. They might be the hardest to code, but the ability to pack as much raw fun as possible into one game is very gratifyng.
  • Graphics are needed but don’t have to be amazing. Most of the time, a minigame can have a small window when played and pixellated sprites that still look fun.
  • Minigames also don’t need a full on plot or story, a simple premise is enough to fuel the whole thing!
  • What I mean by ‘minigame’ is a short, fun game usually consisting of one or more mechanics that enhance gameplay as you progress. These sorts of games can also be found embedded in visual novels.
  • Finally, minigames have the advantage of being played multiple times over since the mechanics should be fun and the endings rewarding.

Ok, that should be it. Phew!
Thanks for reading if you got this far, and I hope it helped someone!

1 Like

I tend to like games that are less text heavy in general, but that might have to do with, like how @Soapie said, it’s a lot easier (at least mechanically) to make text based games than engine based ones, leading to there being a lot more of them in general and kind of making a lot of them all blend together.

There’s also the fact that since they’re story driven, text driven games, there’s a lot more emphasis on writing (duh) and less on mechanics themselves. I’ve seen a couple of text adventures on this site do some nice puzzles, but again since the game is text based most of those are “figure out which object to use based on context clues” . Don’t get me wrong, that can be made pretty compelling, especially with good quality writing, but once you’ve done a couple similar puzzles the writing becomes all that’s left to the game (at least for me), and I might as well just read a story instead.

Going back to what I first said though, it might be easier to make a text adventure mechanically, but I feel that you have to spend just as much effort, if not more, in your writing/story paths as you would programming a puzzle/fps/platformer to make it actually good.

Text adventure and visual novels are my favorites! I enjoy written descriptions of gaining and of characters. Visual novel sprites help with the expressiveness of the characters while text adventure allows you more creative freedom in imagining the way they look, so they both have their perks. Text adventure is also the ultimate in character customization since it’s far more practical to code certain sentences/descriptors to show up vs. on a visual novel sprite having to redraw every single trait, outfit, and bodytype for each pose the character has and have them work together.

For weight gain based games, a compelling character and scenario for the weight gain are most important to me. If a character has no personality at all, I find it difficult to get any enjoyment out of them. This can sometimes be circumvented by having an empty shell protagonist surrounded by very lively NPCs (see: Super Fatty RPG). I usually dislike RPGs since they’re full of grind or just have cookie cutter characters since the focus is instead spent on fetish material, but if the story and characters are fun, they can still grab me.

So I guess for me personally, for fetish games the order of importance from most to least is:

Character(s) > Story/Scenario > Fetish Content Writing Quality?? > Visual Aspects > Gameplay

And customization/character choice would fall somewhere in the middle since linear experiences are fun but interactivity is still important.

1 Like