Worshippers of the Gain (Demo/Itch.io/Steam))

Thank you for expressing interest in the game and taking the time to write out your suggestions. I’ve written them down and you should see them in the game in following updates.

Some things to look forward to in the next couple updates:

• Stats displayed on-screen, so stats are less ambiguous for the player.
  • A “stamina” stat that can be exhausted by activity and is inverse to your weight (Big characters get tired FAST).
  • A hunger stat, where eating above your hunger causes additional weight-gain.
  • A time restriction, meaning that the player needs to sleep after so many actions (or head out at night, which may prove dangerous).
  • Investigations.
  • Random events.

In terms of my schedule for pushing out the above, it’s looking like some of it will be in the Oct 1st update, the rest on Nov 1st.

Thanks again!

6 Likes

Unfortunately, all I can say is that it happened while playing as a female. I never attempted to play as a male just to see if it affects the bug. Furthermore, once I finally managed to escape the bug, I either couldn’t tell what I did differently or swiftly forgot as I continued to play.

It’s interesting that you mention that. It’s probably a symptom of the game’s early development stage, but as far as I could tell, gaining weight had no effect beyond bits of flavor text as long as my character’s blog was popular. Once I exhausted the variants of the flavor text, not even raising my character’s weight past five tons triggered anything unless I deliberately sabotaged the blog.

1 Like

If you think about it, there could be an amusing callback to this bug. Maybe via a dream? Like, you had just finished a meal and try to leave, but just end up back at the burger joint, repeating the meal, and getting fatter and fatter each time!

3 Likes

Turned out that the bug was caused by the receptionist. If you were a specific combo of overweight and unpopular he’d just ignore you so hard that it broke the game, lmao.

More flavour-text for absurdly high weight is definitely in the pipeline. Expect more of it as well, so regular scenes are modified based on your weight.

… I’m adding it to the Trello. Incredible idea.

4 Likes

I know you said it’s a while off, but if you need a flat colourist for the artwork, I’ll be happy to help.

My stuff’s here if you want to check it out.

1 Like

I’ll definitely keep you in mind. Thanks for the offer :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is fantastic! I love how you’re not confined to playing just one gender (female), and the story is pretty solid. Just one thing though, how do you dream? I haven’t had a single one and I see people referencing it here…

Oh and, some suggestions! Maybe an option could be added where there’s an eating contest in the burger joint that serves as a stuffing sequence that any weight group can take part in, and winning gives you a higher approval in the town? Also, would a muscle stat be possible to add? Maybe where you train weights and cardio at the gym separately, and can get bigger biceps, pecs, thighs etc and still have a gut on you?

Thanks for the game!

2 Likes

Thanks for playing! Glad you enjoy it so far!

The player has a base 3% chance to have a dream whenever they sleep. The chance increases based on your weight, and at 750 pounds your character has a roughly 20% chance to have a dream when they sleep.

Random events for locations is definitely something I’d like to implement soon. The first few of these will be in the 1st Oct update (Mostly bumping into other characters outside of their set locations).

As for a muscle stat… The gym is probably the weakest location in the game at the moment. I definitely want to do more with it at some point, possibly adding a muscle stat like you suggest. That’ll be at least a few months down the line, once the game can actually be completed by the player.

Thanks for the suggestions. Have a lovely day! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As for a muscle stat… The gym is probably the weakest location in the game at the moment. I definitely want to do more with it at some point, possibly adding a muscle stat like you suggest. That’ll be at least a few months down the line, once the game can actually be completed by the player.

Could this be paired with a frailness stat, that indicates a lack of muscle and a thinness vs Fatness to create a four block matrix of situations, so a super fat, but muscley character could push themselves through doorways when stuck, or resist in any other points where they’d normally be unable to respond while still being fat enough to get stuck, while a frail/fat character would require help all over the shop, being pulled / pushed through doors, easier for the town to trick and immobilise, etc, etc?

So even if you’re on the road for a bad end, if you’re capable of benching 100KG you can still intimidate someone once or twice before they work up the nerve to actually turn you into a bed…

2 Likes

At some point you kind of have to ask yourself just how much of this is adding to the game, and how much of this is just for the sake of itself.

2 Likes

For the time being, I’m just focusing on the player’s weight. A muscle/frailness stat might be implemented in the future though. Writing variations of scenes based on player stats is already a big part of the games’ development and although I like the idea of adding more stats and variations, I don’t want to bog down the updates when I could be making brand new content for them.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it might amount to something at some point once the game is further along in development.

This is true. It’d be really easy to overestimate my time and capacity for making new stuff, so I need to limit the scope of the project for the time being. As it stands, I like chunky content, so that’s what I’m going to focus on writing.

I hope these replies aren’t rude. I really do appreciate the input, guys!

4 Likes

Doesn’t seem rude to me. And, honestly, the level of interaction going on here between you and the commenters looks like a good thing so fat… I mean, far.

5 Likes

This happened to me too a couple of times. I think it was when I opted to take the taxi back from the burger joint. Having looked at the script I couldn’t see how it could happen though.

1 Like

Just played it for the first time today, and it’s very solid so far.

The hunger and stamina bars sound like great additions to the game. There does perhaps need to be a limit to how much your character can eat per day as well. The first thing I did in my initial run was go to the Burger Joint and eat until I was full. Obviously, I never got full, and after sleeping once, I was over 4000 lbs. on day 2. Given how much descriptions mean in a game like this, missing out on them because you blow past their flags is kind of a bummer.

I do see a fullness meter as being separate from the hunger meter. Hunger being the min/max calories you need per day to maintain your body, as well as the line you eat over to gain more weight, whereas fullness is simply how much you can pack away in a day, increasing as you overeat more and more.

I had almost the opposite problem that @Pudgelover111 had, namely that I found it far too easy to pile on the pounds. I do honestly feel the weight gain happens too fast, and while I’m certainly not suggesting realistic gains, going from 180 to 367 overnight is terribly quick. This does feed into my earlier point about blowing past descriptions. I would have liked a more gradual gain, and to see more of my character’s thoughts as her body grew and grew.

I really like the idea of a time restriction, which will definitely help the flow of the game. It’s pretty easy to work into the narrative, as well. “I know I need to work out today, since I missed the last two, but there’s a hot lead I should look into…” As Pudgelover mentioned above, your character at game start wants to maintain their thin physique, so there does need to be something to push the PC into a fat lifestyle, as well as some initial limits to keep the PC from just eating everything thirty seconds after exiting the cab.

And going off the random events both you and Pudgelover mentioned, would it be an idea to base some of them occurring depending on how thin or fat your character is? Given weight gain is needed to move the story along, having something to encourage the PC to put on some pounds might be a good idea (the food reviewer gets offered some fresh baked desserts from a local bakery if they’re too thin, for example). And on the other end of things, I like the idea that the PC takes a cab van to the Burger Joint, squeezes her extra wide a** into her usual booth, and when she finishes eating is either stuck or flat-out crushes the booth under her lardy mass. Either result leading her to question her growing weight and lifestyle choices.

I love the idea of the regular scenes being affected by your weight. Slowly lumber your way into the Burger Joint, panting and sweaty from the exercise of walking from the street to the counter. Order the extra large meal your regular gluttony has unlocked, and Terry looks at you. He takes in the gargantuan whale you’ve become, and asks, “Are you sure you need it?”

This is getting quite long, so I’ll stop after this paragraph, I swear. I did notice a couple of errors in the dialogue when I was playing, namely my character being referred to as male though I selected female. Obviously very minor, but still. Also, there should probably be a weight limit to the “Humiliate Ben” option. When I did it, my PC was 800+ pounds and I imagine she’s barely able to walk. A lot of the humiliate option only works for a much thinner character, especially since it’s stated that they’re in good enough shape to easily outpace Ben.

I did feel like a terrible a** after doing that, so I’m not sure if I’ll ever do it again, lol.

Alright, this’ll be the final thought. I do like the idea of @The_Wind_King had about a frailty/muscle scale and a thin/fat scale. That said, I could see this being a little difficult to do properly. It’d be pretty easy for a fat and strong character to outright ignore a lot of the problems being so large would entail. Likewise, a frail and fat character (which is inevitably what I would play) would suffer a pretty large impediment to their gameplay.

Best example I can think of comes from Fatty Text Adventure. Even though the game didn’t have an immobility end (which was just a terrible oversight in my mind), my character simply got too fat and weak to do anything. Moving a single tile totally annihilated all her stamina, meaning she was constantly resting. Battles were almost instantly lost, and by the end all she could do was walk to the restaurant (which took 4+ in-game hours, increasing by the day), eat a veritable mountain of food, then somehow walk back and sleep.

Realistic, perhaps, but not fun after a certain point.

But once I consoled my strength up high enough, suddenly she was an unstoppable leviathan. Every fight was a one-hit KO, and her max fatness before getting the highest flavour text was way higher. Something like 6000 versus 2500, or something like that. Again, it wasn’t fun, because it was now way too easy. Her high weight just wasn’t a real penalty anymore.

In short, while it’s something I’d like to see and could be done well, it’s definitely something you’ll have to be careful with should you decide to add it in, since it could be a game-breaker if you’re not careful.

… I am really starting to think I can’t make a short post, lol. Anyway, really great start to the game, and I can’t wait to see more.

4 Likes

Thanks for playing the game and taking the time to write all this out. You’ve made some fantastic points and pointed out a decent number of oversights that I missed (ie. humiliating Ben when you’re way bigger than him… oops).

I love your suggestions for random events based on player weight, or causing them to gain weight. I had an idea for random events in my head, but I would have missed this opportunity, I think. So thanks for that!

My plan in the future for pacing weight-gain is this:

• The player will have a “Fullness” stat that dictates how much they can eat in one day. At max fullness you can’t eat more, and at almost-max fullness you’ll only eat part of your meal.
  • Fullness will have a base value that scales up with weight, meaning that you can eat more as your character becomes more used to excessive numbers of meals.
  • There will be a hunger value that decreases the faster your fullness is. When you’re very hungry you’ll lose a bit of weight, but it can lead to a bad end (ie. "You look so skinny! Let’s fix that!).
  • The idea of a muscle/frailty score is definitely something I’m considering at this point, but probably it’ll be something I go back and add once more important things are done, like core player-progression and the Good Ending.

I’m honestly a little unhappy with the Ben humiliation path because it feels too mean-spirited, and I think I wrote him to be too friendly. I’ll probably re-write it to add some justification for doing it. Maybe Ben starts very fit, but is antagonistic towards the player when they work out in the park, and humiliating him is revenge?

Thanks again for taking the time to write out your reply! Have a lovely day! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi this a great start of a really good game there a three thing i need to ask though
1 can the mc can reach immobillity
2 do you plan to increase the relationship of pc with other npc tmore than just friend
3 do you plan on write any sex screen

3 Likes

Thanks for playing. To answer your questions:

1. The player can’t reach immobility yet. It’s one of the endings planned for the Oct 1st update though.
    1. I want to include romance options eventually. At the moment there’s a hidden “Romance” stat that you raise for individual NPCs by talking with them, but it won’t actually do anything until I finish romance routes in 2-3 months.
    1. Not at the current time. My relationship with weight-gain as a kink isn’t really dependent on sex, so I’d rather write stuff I enjoy.

Thanks again.

1 Like

I love this game, as well as your ability to keep a steady (hopefully sustainable) pace with its development. Thanks for providing a current Trello to keep us informed, too. Allowing for gender selection is a huge plus for me. The fetish writing is descriptive-- I am a sucker for the “struggles of being fat” scenes. I look forward to you adding more depth to the text.

There are so many avenues to explore, like when will I get my photo on that wall of the burger joint? Shouldn’t I already be a valued member of the burger joint’s rewards club? What happens when I break the bed? Is there an elevator in the hotel (and will it ever break)? Does the hotel have a pool or beach nearby (suns out, tums out)? Can you let me choose my outfit, Matthew? If I was to get a rental car, would I fit behind the wheel? Will Hunk get mad at me if I accidentally broke the treadmill? What about continued rambling

Ahem. Just a couple small notes. I wish I could stay in the clothing store with Matthew after I get fitted for new clothes. (That raccoon taxi driver whisks me away before I can flaunt my new gains to my favorite tailor!) As for the gym, if you do decide to implement a strength stat (i.e. the ability to become a “musclegut”), I would appreciate it if you allowed us to choose which equipment we used at the gym. I have seen users comment that the weight dynamic makes it either too hard or too easy to gain/lose weight. Perhaps a simple solution (that you may have already implemented) would be a cap to the weight changes–around 25 pounds/day would allow for 100 pounds in 4 days.

I wonder: if you were to poll the sitegoers, would they prefer a few well fleshed-out characters (and I am not talking about fat here) or more characters with about the same amount of personality and interaction? The result of this survey would inform you how your fans would like you to prioritize development.

Perhaps an option of “stance on fat” at the beginning of the storyline would be a nice addition. When the opening narration mentions that you check your weight daily, you should be able to determine why: either the past issues with maintaining weight (which you already have) or a desire to gain a few (or more). That being said, this is a minor suggestion from me, since I prefer the “stance on fat” you have already implemented. I am just thinking about the preferences of other players of your game.

I have one other suggestion: I would like to have a “Join Ben” feature. This would give a chance of comparison between you and Ben. If you are significantly lighter or in better athletic shape than him, the outcome could be that you start to outpace him, forcing him to ask you to slow down. [This would lead to another decision point.] If you are significantly heavier or less athletic than Ben, you can detail how you are surprised to find yourself falling behind. [This would lead to a choice of whether you ask him to slow down or try (and fail) to keep up. The former’s result would depend on how much you have previously encouraged or discouraged Ben. The latter’s result would allow you to take stock of how fat you have become; Ben would be there to return the favor, whether it means encouraging you in turn or teasing/humiliating you.]

Thank you for this wonderful game! I am excited for the next update, and all the ones to come!

P.S. I have never done this before, but this game has so much potential to be my dream game I will. …I-I-I am willing to do some writing for the game, if you would like. But at the pace that you are churning out bug fixes and new features, I fear that I would slow you down, if anything. Plus, I find your writing style to be uniquely charming, and I would not want to ruin that consistency.

2 Likes

First of all, thank you so much for playing my game and taking the time to write out such a detailed post. I really do appreciate it.

Thanks a ton for the positive messages. I’m a full-time student and also work 3 days a week, so keeping updates consistent is something I worry about. I’ll always keep the Trello updated so you guys can see what I’m working on.

These are all fantastic points. When I’m happy with the state the core game is in, I’ll definitely revisit this post and use it for inspiration.

Also noted. I’m in the process of adding a fullness stat that will cap daily weight-gain. I consider the gym the weakest location at the moment it’s definitely on my to-do list to flesh it out and make it more in-depth.

I’ll definitely have polls once I’m more happy with the state the game is in. This community has been super kind to me and my first project, and interacting with you guys and getting your feedback is definitely a highlight of my day.

I may do this, but I’m not sure how I’d add it in a way I’m happy with yet.

I think I definitely missed an opportunity by not having Ben as a full-fledged rival character, and I definitely want to revisit him at some point. Although I like what he is at the moment, I want to expand it and give it a bit more context. At the current time, you can be exceptionally mean to him for seemingly no reason, and I want to remedy that by making him deserve it.

And thank you for playing! I’ll do my best!

I may take people up on helping with the game later on, but for now the game is sort of my baby. I’ve never written weight-gain content before this game and I’m enjoying seeing what I can manage by myself.

Thanks again for playing. Have a lovely day! :slight_smile:

1 Like

At the risk of being “That Guy,” I’d probably advise against a “stance on fat” choice at game start at this time. It seems like a small thing, but it would mean you’d quite literally double the amount of dialogue you’d need just for a simple yes-no decision at the start. And if you decided to also have a “how you feel about others weight gain” question, now it’s quadrupled.

It’s something that could potentially be broached at a later date, but I’d say get the core game done first, then worry about the details and extras. And, if I’m being completely honest, I’m not sure how well a “yay, fats!” character would fit into the narrative you’re laying out, though perhaps I’m reading too much into it.

Some extra stuff with Ben could be interesting. It might take a longer intro sequence to get the proper feel for the character, but he could easily become a driving force in the narrative. I could see a potential sequence with him as follows:

• You meet him at the park or another area. Egotistical, narcissistic, and a touch overbearing, Ben introduces himself and says how nice it is to meet someone almost as thin and good looking as he is.
  • As the PC is still health conscious at story start, they join Ben on a couple runs. Ben continues to be difficult to deal with.
  • Various factors see the PC exercising less and their weight rapidly rising. Random events at this point could include bumping into Ben at the Burger Joint, where he really rags on you for your weight, or as @Anonymous264170 suggested, you join Ben for a run and fail hard, and he’s just cruel about it.
  • This could lead into a revenge sequence against Ben, though how to semi-realistically start him gaining weight is a question I don’t have a good answer to.

Obviously this would all fall under the “details” category, but it could be a fun sequence.

I know you said the gym is kind of weak right now. Is there any difference between exercising at different weights in the current build? I like the idea that the fatter you get, the harder it becomes to work out and lose weight. Could be a little problematic, I’ll admit, since it might lock you into the immobility end with no way out of it.

And speaking of the immobility end(s), will there be any in-game warning that the player is getting close to it, like with the receptionist? As an example, using the Burger Joint one from the Trello (and cannibalizing my earlier bit of writing):

The cab pulls up in front of the Burger Joint, and you breath a sigh of relief as the engine had been struggling up even the most gradual hills on the way here. You open the door and try to heave yourself out, once, twice, thrice, and fall back in failure, panting heavily. Your fatty features have become so engorged with lard that your overtaxed muscles can’t get enough leverage to shift your blubbery frame from your seat.

The cabbie sighs and helps pull you out with a loud groan. For a brief moment, you become wedged in the car door, and you worry that you might be trapped in the vehicle, but your flabby rolls slowly shift past the metal frame. A slight draft on one massively oversized hip makes you think you must have torn a hole in your trousers, but you can’t see past your fatty extremities to know for certain.

“Alright, Lard-butt, pay up. For the ride, the extra gas, AND the seat.” Looking in the cab, you see that the back seat had completely collapsed under your indescribable girth. Blushing furiously, you fail to meet the cabbie’s eyes as you hand over an embarrassingly huge wad of cash. After counting it out, the cab driver gets in his vehicle and takes off, the engine and shocks making an unhealthy squeal as it moves down the street.

Turning your gargantuan body like a ship in storm, you slowly shuffle one foot in front of the other as you make your way into the Burger Joint. A huge jiggle passes through your fat-stuffed form with each swaying step, and despite the short distance from the street to the door, you still need to stop and lean against the wall while you catch your breath. You can feel sweat pooling between your chins, but your pudgy hand and sausage fingers are having a lot of trouble wiping it away, in particular because your girthy chins and large neck rolls have blurred into a single fatty mass.

Having caught your breath after an embarrassing amount of time, you slowly waddle the last few steps to the front of the Burger Joint. The automatic doors slide open and you step forward. Your hips press heavily into both sides of the frame, and you’re forced to step back and turn sideways in an attempt to get inside. However, you immediately encounter another problem as your huge, multi-rolled belly and country wide ass promptly wedge themselves in the doorway. With a fair amount of undignified grunting and heaving, and the help of the staff, you pop in like a cork, all too aware that you lost yet more buttons from your shirt.

After a brief pause to let your oceanic flesh stop jiggling, you waddle to the counter. You lean on the counter to try and take some of the pressure off your poor feet, your pooling fat and turkey-sized arms eliciting some rather worrisome creaks from the counter as you desperately try to catch your breath. Terry, realizing you’re now looking at him, stops trying the erase the lunch special with a quietly muttered curse and comes to the counter.

“H-hello, vast-VALUED! Valued customer. What will you have today?” You blush as you try to ignore the stares and whispered comments from the other patrons as you place your order. (PC has a choice of orders, and selects the Extra-Large Buffet, which will leave their belly packed to the brim) Terry pauses, his hand hovering just over the keyboard. “Um, are, are you sure? Like, really sure?” (PC has a couple options, giving the possibility to avoid this end)

A loud, echoing growl rumbles from your stomach. A tiny bit of drool slides past your plump lips, half smothered by your softball sized cheeks. “You’re right. Better make it a double order…”

Okay, that wound up way, WAY longer then I anticipated, and far too long for a VN, but I don’t want to delete all that typing, lol. But yes, some written cue before crossing that final threshold would probably be a good idea.

This game certainly has drummed up a fair bit of excitement, and I can’t wait to see what you come up with next.

Edit: One more question: will the immobility ending in the Burger Joint make the Crushing Cabbie’s Car ending nearly impossible to get?

1 Like