Worshippers of the Gain (Demo/Itch.io/Steam))

Morning! Thanks for taking the time to write all of this out!

Yep. These are my concerns about adding something like that. I can think of a couple of ways I’d do this, but I’m not particularly satisfied with any of them. Something to think about later though, definitely.

He’ll probably get re-written somewhere along the lines of:

• Is initially very egotistical and proud of his physique, constantly ragging on the player if they’re even a little chubby. Gradually bullying them more as they get bigger, but continuing to exercise with them to “make himself look even better”.
  • He can randomly show up to criticise the player, make fun of them, or ask them if they’re up for a run.
  • The revenge sequence would be predicated on a couple of things. Firstly, Ben’s from out of town (There’s some dialogue in the current version that says this) and as such doesn’t have access to the general store which only stocks for town residents. This means he has to eat at the burger joint. He’s also very fond of food, but hides it. You see where I’m going with this, I’m sure.

The upcoming burger joint Bad End will have a warning as you approach it, but it’s because it’s reached by repeated actions (Eating a truly excessive amount).

Fantastic writing by the way! I’m a little jealous! :slight_smile:

Thanks for playing and the support! :slight_smile:

No, it shouldn’t do. The burger joint Bad End will initially be reached by having very low popularity, high weight, and eating an excessive number of meals in one day. Once player progression is implemented, it’ll be gated by your “Fullness” stat, since the cap on that increases with weight (ie. It’ll take you about a week to get large enough to be able to eat the number of meals required to trigger the bad end). Hope that answers your question!

2 Likes

Sorry, guys. I’ve had an awful cold the last week or so and I’ve not made as much progress as I was hoping on the below items. Please anticipate them being in the Nov 1st Version 0.5 update instead.

3 Likes

Well, Shakespeare said brevity is the soul of wit, therefore I am unfortunately quite witless.

2 Likes

Howdy, Gainers.

Progress on the 0.4 update is going well. All the content I intend to add is now done & I’m just reading through it all and doing some test-runs. Expect the update to release today (28th).

Have a nice day!

3 Likes

Awesome. Looking forward to seeing all the new fun stuff there is.

2 Likes

The 0.4 update is live at Worshippers of the Gain [Demo] by WOTGDEV

Enjoy!

6 Likes

The game so far is really cool! It has potential to be really great! The setting is nice and the characters are interesting. In general, the stuff missing is what I guess you’re going to add it later (more interactions/relashionships with the npc, more “stages of gain” maybe, more places, more choices and random encounters)
If I have to say something that is really lacking are female NPCs, it would be cool seeing some of them, and of course, if some could gain weight like Ben :wink:

It would also be cool seeing more extreme effects of the main character’s weight when they reach extreme sizes, such as broken furniture (and maybe needing a new room at the hotel) or getting stuck in places, but these are just details

Also, it would be nice knowing the starting weight, maybe the main character weigh themselves during the first day and read the number

for the rest, keep the awesome work, I’m pretty sure that, once its completed, this game will be a gem!

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for playing! :slight_smile:

Yep! Most of these are being worked on at the moment. Proper romance paths and random events are the two that’re going to happen the soonest.

Soon™. There’s a character releasing alongside the next area that’ll interest you a lot.

I’ve added this to the Trello. Thanks for pointing it out!

Thanks a ton, and thanks again for playing!

3 Likes

Errm, I seem to have run into a bit of an issue.

An Exception has occurred

While running game code:

File “game/script.rpy”, line 257, in script call
call Sleep/Dream
File “game/script.rpy”, line695, in script
y “A-as you can see , our quarterly earnings have {b} increased /{b} by 30%”
ValueError: Incomplete format

Full Traceback

File “game/script.rpy”, line 257, in script call
call Sleep/Dream
File “game/script.rpy”, line695, in script
y “A-as you can see , our quarterly earnings have {b} increased /{b} by 30%”
File “renpy/ast.py”, line 706, in execute
File “renpy/exports.py”, line 1325, in say
ValueError: Incomplete format

2 Likes

Forgot to escape the “%” character, my bad. Bug-fixes are uploading as we speak :slight_smile:

Thanks for pointing out the error!

1 Like

These things happen. I’m just happy to help!

2 Likes

That’s the fix uploaded. Thanks again for letting me know about the error.

Have a nice night!

1 Like

I might have found an error, I’m not really sure.

I tried to get the Broke Taxi event to fire from just weight, and was unable to do so. Not sure if it’s still checking the player’s popularity or not.

This other one may not be an error. I got the immobile ending for the burger joint to fire a couple times. Earlier in the thread, you mentioned low popularity was a requirement, but the event was firing regardless of my pop. I saw on the Trello that pop wasn’t mentioned as a pre-req., so I may have been mistaken, and pop has no effect on the event, only weight.

Also, if I’m right and popularity is supposed to have an effect on the event, I’ve got a couple of ideas for random events that occur if your weight is high enough, but you’re too popular to lose:

• The classic chair crushing event (potential floor damage as weight increases? God help you and everyone trying to lift your lardy butt off the floor…)

• Terry hears your cries for help, and aids you in rising (more and more staff required as the PC grows yet more massive? Terry or others get injured from trying to shift your enormous bulk?)

• Wedged in door on way out. Initially forced through with the help of Terry and/or other staff, but needing more people to help as weight increases, and potentially damaging the door as you’re forced through.

• At an extremely high threshold, get informed that they can’t serve you anymore as you’ve quite simply eaten every scrap of food in the building. (Probably need a required number of consecutive meals eaten before this one fires)

• Wardrobe malfunctions

I imagine random events like these are already in the pipe. My excitement may be getting the better of me, lol. I loved some of the new Bad Ends in this update. Excellent work, mate!

1 Like

Telling Ben to quit causes a loop back to the beginning of the conversation with him. This is when I do not have the option to humiliate him, probably from high weight. To escape I selected the moderate answer for him to continue, he then disappears from options as if I had told him to quit.

1 Like

So, I had a thought about a possible bad end
You know how you can order room service? Maybe have one where, if you are above a certain weight and low enough popularity, after a certain number of consecutive orders, you end up eating a drugged meal and pass out. Then, when you wake up, you’re in the hotel basement and the receptionist teases, force feeds, and fattens you up for his own enjoyment.
Anyway, I just figured I’d put this here, in case it might actually be decent.

1 Like

At the moment, neither the Taxi bad-end or the burger joint bad-end take into account the player’s popularity. This is set to change, but for the meantime exists as a way to corral the player through the content that already exists. Once I have scene variants for even more excessive weights, I’ll change how this works.

Edit: Not being able to get the taxi bad end was a bug. I’ve uploaded a bugfix this morning that should fix it. Just continue eating until you get the “If you eat much more you may have trouble getting home” warning, then get the next warning and try to head home.

I’ll add these to the Trello!

Thanks for letting me know. I’ve uploaded a bugfix :slight_smile:

Added to the Trello. One of my jobs for next update is to flesh out the hotel! :smiley:

1 Like

Cannot eagerly lift shirt fo the receptionist

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out. Uploading a bugfix for this now :slight_smile:

edit: Bugfix 3 is out & should fix the “Eagerly lift shirt” bug.

1 Like

I just noticed a minor inconsistency, and I wonder if it was intentional. In the intro, the taxi driver mentions that there are plenty of restaurants and food places in town (if you state that you are a food reviewer). However, Terry claims that the burger joint is the only food-place in town, besides the supermarket. Is there an underground food scene that Terry does not know about?

2 Likes

You’re right. It was intentional, albeit poorly-written. There’s dialogue in the game explaining that because the town is small, the supermarket and most local restaurants only stock enough for local residents. The burger joint is prominent because they import their ingredients and can serve outsiders.

I’m making a note in the Trello to explain this better. Thanks for pointing it out! :slight_smile:

2 Likes