A note of discussion about what makes a horny game good.

Be more than you are meant to be! Provide users with a reason to come back to your game. Be it through unlimited content, or be it through multiple endings, or through interesting mechanics- Give your players a reason to do more than just play one-handed, and don’t just make it so the control scheme is obtuse to force that.

Welcome to an open discussion on my opinion on games that do more than provide fap material. I was awoken to this idea recently when talking with a friend when I realized that my opinions aren’t universally shared:

Games exist to create fun, not just to be a horny slideshow. That’s right: What good is a game, over an animation, if you’re shunt into a locked storyline, with nothing to do but click through options whose endings are already determined for you? Why write a twine and label it as a game when it’s really a CYOA book?

And, of those games that don’t necessarily adhere to the descriptors above, those who do have content: Make it unique. If I fall into another turn based or realtime RPG with locked abilities to choose from, i’m gonna drill some holes in my hard drive. It’d be one thing if it was one or two games, but it doesn’t help when a significant portion (I would guess at least 50% of this site’s “games” are RPGmaker games) of the games i’m going to come in contact with make use of the same dusty, boring combat system with no frills that can be totally broken just by making an enemy too tanky or too damaging- A passable encounter is too quick to turn into a brick wall when the ability to dodge and time your attacks to maximize damage dealt and minimize damage taken is no longer an option.

To be put simply, a real game will have the following pillars:

Progress must be tied to player skill. If the best player in the world can hop into your game and their success is dependant on a dice roll? It’s not a game, that’s a lottery machine wearing a fat woman disguise.

Interesting and unique concepts must be utilized: If I can play your game and know exactly what to do from start to finish without any thought, because it’s the same game with some new PNG’s or paragraphs slapped on it, It’s not a new game: You took a fat game that already exists and put a different set of clothes on it.

I think I have made my stance clear: While it’s possible to make a fun Experience, using concepts that already exist, you MUST break free of your normal bounds in order to create a real, wonderful game. Settle not for mediocrity, strive for greatness.

Disclaimer: this post is not meant to be a call-out or any kind of hate towards any developers; merely the mediums presented to us.

4 Likes

I started writing a big long screed and deleted it. Here’s what I got.

Amateur game makers start by working with cliches and doing what’s easy and not being good at polish and balance. This is normal. In our case, it means lots of RPG Maker, Twine, and Renpy games because these are some of the easiest tools to work with and have good helpful communties.

Experienced devs should be reaching higher. And they do! But there aren’t enough of them, because there isn’t enough money in the scene to keep them around.

If we want more creativity and thoughtfulness and polish in wg games, we need:
–more money in the scene to keep experienced devs (adults with little free time and big bills) around
–more tools and more accessible history to make it easier to move past cliche
–a community that wants to help people troubleshoot AND likes to talk about game design (yes, even CYOA and RNG in design)

9 Likes

I think you have the right general premise that making games with more innovative or interactive content to stand out is a good thing, as well as trying to strive for a really great gameplay loop, but the game types you listed aren’t particularly needed to have those. Your post seems focused on elements you personally dislike in material, more than general advocacy for more innovative games, and I feel tries to denounce them as games entirely for it. I will try my best to avoid talking about the elephant in the room of how “these are (mostly) free games made for free/funded exclusively through patreon”, since that’s a whole thing that this site has discussions on every few months or so.

Instead, I think it’s important to look at that the game industry itself has debates like this all the time, much further out from this tiny area of weird fetish games on the internet. Are point 'n clicks really games? How about walking sims? Are kinetic novels?

For example, you’re on about how a lot of twine games are more or less CYOAs, but that’s what Twine is. It doesn’t come with a minimum requirement to shoot for or anything, it’s literally a “tool for telling interactive, nonlinear stories”. Are they not games when doing that? Debatable. But what I do know is that there is a tag for Twine on this forum, and by that logic, anything that’s made with it is in the clear. Whether they’re mediocre doing what it says on the tin, would be more of an evaluation of the writing quality.

You mention that the RPGs on this site are very generic. But I can’t say they’re really shooting under par for that. Nearly all JRPGs take core elements from the original Dragon Quest? I also think it is still a pretty fun and solid game today.

And really, very many of the RPGs here exceed DQ1’s outline by a large margin (and most that don’t are very early development concepts). More party members, more dialogue, more unique skills, bigger maps, side quests, TP… Some of these even have crafting and karma systems!

Looking at it that way, I would say these games are going past the minimum. Do I find all of them at least as fun as DQ1? Honestly no, but that’s not from not doing enough. It’s a lot of other factors like enjoyment of a mechanic, map design, ect. that contribute to that. And to me, being able to stumble over things like that means there’s more pushing them than DQ. Even basic ideas that most RPGs share, like entering dungeons, vary quite a bit, and contribute to enjoyment of the game.

You can say that they’re “skins” by comparing them to each other instead of ones commercially sold, but I think that is an unfair distillation of them (RPGM default assets aside). Is Final Fantasy 7 a skin of Final Fantasy 6 for using the ATB concept again? How about FF6 to FF5? FF5 and FF4? I have actually found myself unable to get into various RPGs posted on this site because they approach battle design differently than each other. Even if I were to conceed on this one, I don’t think there would be so many if people did not think they were fun, and there would be an active discourse around games if they were truly close enough to be skins.

There’s a lot that can push an game to greatness, and I don’t think reliance on old concepts is the issue, rather than a lack of mastery of them.

I very much agree that games themselves should be designed to entertain players. That’s one of the best forms of guidance for developers!

But at the end of the day, lots of people just find different things very entertaining. People play train simulators. People buy the yearly edition of Madden where the only thing that has changed is the athletes. People play that one cauldron guy with a pickaxe game.

And frankly, I would be lying to say I don’t find a .png of a fat butt on my screen alone at least mildly entertaining.

edit: that was longer than i expected sorry

6 Likes

I agree with your point that there’s not really much cream in this kind of work, however, in terms of tools, I say the opposite. Look at Blender, which is practically considered the go-to universal 3D modelling engine. Why? Because it strips away all the things you shouldn’t need to do in order to learn to 3D model, other than a basic tutorial that tells you to sit down with several hours, in dyntopo, and study anatomy…

Yet it’s one of the most obtuse programs I’ve ever worked with, because there’s a certain thing I’ve realized about art: it doesn’t come from nowhere, and no amount of external motivation is going to turn just anyone into an artist, and video game design, my friend? Is art. If blender was any easier to get into, the market would be flooded with people selling the same shitty models over and over again because it takes someone who loves their work enough to go through pain to see it to it’s completion. Without that great bonfire of determination, people will settle for mediocrity over and over again, and give up before making anything worthwhile, because they did it: They made a model that they genuinely like.
(And that’s fine! If you want I can talk more about this, just mention it.)

Anyone can be convinced to make a game with a big enough offer, but making tools that allow people to shit out crappy rpg maker games with about 20 hours of effort put into them doesn’t work, it just allows people who aren’t able to go the distance on their own strength to make crappy rpg maker games.

Now, yes, there are some great games made in these mediums- but they’re the exception, not the norm- and that’s why I don’t think it’s a very good tool. Unless it somehow shakes up combat so it’s not the same as literally every other game with a different balance, and makes almost full use of the engine, it’s going to be, say it with me, another crappy rpg maker game.

Good games, good art, does not come from the kind of people that settle for mediocrity, and that is why people hate AI so feverishly, because it allows the flooding of the market with mediocre art that was designed without the pain, struggle, and overcoming of previous factors: All of the pain artists go through to create good art is completely invalidated when the things they build are able to be copy-pasted over and over again in an entirely painless process.

And, yeah, by Troubleshooting, you’ve got lots of people available on this site. However, I think what you meant to say is… People need to be educated on what does and doesn’t work, in order for their game to function, they need to learn, and… the biggest thing for that? Is school. It’s all great and dandy to learn something at home? But art schools exist, and thrive, for a reason. Because starting on your own is incredibly painful- without the building blocks of game design already explained to you, you’re not going to be able to create a good game that stands out above the rest, and the alternative is to force yourself through a slog of pain redefining what creates goodness, starting from a basis of nothing.

I apologize for this going on so long, but, No, art, and by extension the creation of video games, does not need to be accessible, and based on my comment on AI art, it should remain frustratingly inaccessible so that people who truly love doing it can have a job doing so instead of some amateur getting paid pennies to sit at a desk making mediocre art at a rate that defies how the medium previously operated.

And, addendum: I am not speaking on this from a standpoint of gatekeeping, but basic psychology. In order to make art of serious, meaningful value, you HAVE to be willing to go through pain, and write it down on the page; No matter your medium, art comes from a place of pain turned into a place of beauty. Be it the effort you spent doing it, or the mental revelations you went through as part of the design process that permanently turn you into a better artist than before.

Anyone can become an artist, but they have to find something they love doing enough to go through pain to achieve it. Art without pain is like toast without butter. Sure, toast is good, but toast was kind of, made for butter.

The emotional path we go on, while making art, is exactly why AI is so hated- because deep down everyone already knows what I’m saying: Art takes soul, and soul comes from emotional expression- that emotion can’t just be the silly desire to wake up and make a game one day. You have to have some serious reasons WHY you do it- I guarantee it, almost every single artist has their reason why they do it, and it’s not just “Because I wanted to.” That might be what got them into it, but it’s certainly not what got them where they are now.

Learning to create good art is an emotional voyage of healing, pain, and learning to see the world through a different lens. People who are not willing to do that will never be able to create good art.

You’re basically asking people who’ve either never coded before, never drawn before, never made a game before or any/all of the above to consistently pump out AAA experiences and forever innovate the industry. Ever considered that people perhaps just want to tell a story? To experiment with a new medium they’ve never dealt with before? To share their passion for a certain topic, fetish or otherwise?

Let’s flip this the other way around. When learning to swim, were you immediately thrown in the deep end and told to complete 10 laps? Or were you introduced gradually, starting with floatation devices then slowly weaned off them once you were strong enough?
When you first ran, did you immediately break the 100m world record, or did you trip over yourself before building up your speed and improving throughout your childhood?

If everyone were to follow your rather elitist view on game development, no games would ever be made. Nobody is capable of complete perfection on their first try, but if that were expected of them then they’d never pursue any interest they might have in game development because there’d be folk like you screaming about how boring/dull/generic their first projects are. As cliché as this next question is in arguments like these, have you ever made a game of your own? Do you believe you could create something of the same quality you’re holding people to here? By all means, please show me, I’d love to see what such an impassioned and inspired work could come of such high standards.

Nobody is forcing you to play these games. If text adventures or RPGs aren’t your thing, simply don’t play them. While those certainly are the most popular genres on this site, there are others available. And if you can’t find something that’s exactly to your taste, then there’s your window of opportunity. There’s that gap in this “market” that you can fill. Experiment with game engines, try different visual styles, create that unique experience you seem to want so much. But enforcing that upon others isn’t going to win you favours with anyone.

Not even going to touch on your AI art rant since you’ve derailed your own topic with that one, but as someone who knows first-hand just how tough game development can be, seeing wild views like this is what causes a bunch of would-be developers to quit before they’ve even begun. How many stories haven’t been told, how many experiences haven’t been felt, simply because the people who would have made them were too intimidated to release them to this kind of reception? None of your favourite games would ever be made if this was the common standard people were held to, because the people behind them would never have been able to start in the first place.

9 Likes

Not elitism. Quote: anyone can become an artist. Elitists don’t think everyone can strive for greatness. I just think a lot of people Aren’t striving.

I’d, love to make a game, and I have a fairly decent knowledge of code theory: The only issue is, I’m about to become employed, and I do not wish to put myself through the pain of learning to program at this moment. At the very least, I do not lie to myself and pick up RPGmaker and tell myself that after I make a game without putting the actual effort in to do so, I will use the knowledge I didn’t gain to make another game, but closer to my real idea for a game.

Hell, I already have an idea for a game that I cooked up a little bit ago, it’s purely that reason that made me decide to post this: My friend didn’t like it because they had a take that all horny games should be only made for a quick 30 minute fap and after it’s achieved that you’re done and it doesn’t need to be any better. I Strongly disagree.

No artist should ever strive for mediocrity because that is to spit in the face of what could have been if they just went as far as they could instead of giving up on their creation.

Think of my sourness not as elitism, but rather as a statement: Love your creation. If you cannot love it, do not make it. Every piece of art I have made has a place in my heart as something I love for one reason or another; and that is why I will continue making art, because I love the things I make enough to go through the process of making them. If I did not love my art one day, I would stop making it.

Art should not be born because you want other people to react to it. That is selfish and attention whorish. Drive comes from within, so don’t make it about others. Admittedly, yes, the tangent on RPGmaker and Twine is a bit brash of me, but it does highlight the problem: People can just… make games, that they don’t love. Which invalidates everything that art is to me.

1 Like

Not elitism. Quote: anyone can become an artist. Elitists don’t think everyone can strive for greatness. I just think a lot of people Aren’t striving.

This is just another form of elitism. What you’ve done here is that instead of deciding that people are inherently incapable because they fail to meet your standards, you’ve decided that you personally can tell whether someone is Trying Hard Enough based on whether they meet those standards. Essentially making them beholden to your lofty demands if they want to prove that they’re making Real Art™.

(Edit: You’re also insisting that in order for “real art” to be created, the means of creating art have to be restricted so that only people who really want it can create art. This is textbook elitism.)

Think of my sourness not as elitism, but rather as a statement: Love your creation. If you cannot love it, do not make it.

People here do love their art. You just aren’t seeing that because according to you, the true measure of whether someone really cared and worked hard on a project is whether it has the right features to please you, personally. That is an incredibly self-centered mindset and isn’t going to help anyone make better games.

8 Likes

The problem here is a lot of your statements are, as mentioned, basically asking for the self-destruction of developers in general by sending them into the deep end, in addition, blaming the issue on the tools. I find it very odd you are essentially advocating for two things that are diametrically opposed, and ironically would give you LESS of what you want period.

You want every game that comes out to basically be perfect, but you do not want anyone to learn, experiment, or even dabble.

You mentioned that “anyone can be an artist”, and I have to ask:
Have you watched Ratatouille? There are two notable quotes from that movie, “Anyone can cook.” and “Not everyone can become a great artist; but a great artist can come from anywhere.”

RPG Maker does not make your game bad. It does not make your game good either. This is because it is a tool. Only a poor workman blames the tools. And someone who, is not even the workman here, blaming the tools is just silly.

Developers themselves are the driving force behind games because well, they develop the games. It is easy to see games you dislike, running around with default assets, and blame it on the source. RPG Maker is in reality a very strong engine. The older ones supported Ruby coding, and the newer ones support the more common Javascript. You can do ANYTHING you want with RPGM if you shoot high enough. But really, to just do more with the engine, you don’t even need to know how to code in Ruby/Javascript, just simple ingenuity to use its built in-scripting. But more importantly, it’s up to the developer to make the most of it.

However games, being an artform themselves, are not improved by lone desire but practice. Allowing people to make games with RPGM, Twine, Ren’Py, ect. is the only way they’ll be able to find out for sure if they want to go through with making more, better games. As I mentioned earlier, there’s a lot of elements in RPGs that drive them, and the only way to learn how to put them together best is to try. To produce content and see what sticks. And it’s even more important that people who have that ambition are allowed to try. They might not even like making games at all!

Ever play old NES games before? Like the ones that aren’t popular? A lot of them suck. They have bad sense of player guidance, level design, ect. Without practice, people aren’t able to get better, learn good level design, or even get criticism on their work. Without easily accessible tools, they can’t dip their toes in the water. In a lot of cases, the best way to learn is by doing. It is very often recommended that new game developers make a small game, and not their biggest most desired one, to get the skills they need. You’re going against this very basic idea, and again, are asking for the demise of new developers, including the ones who would actually want to tackle the high-level projects you’re talking about.

It may be that only some can be great, and really that’s fine. There is nothing wrong with someone making a game that is “ok” or “30 minutes”, as long as it is enjoyed by them. And typically, if someone likes their own work, then so will many others. You don’t need to be the cook that works a 5 star restaurant, or indie developer that makes the next Undertale. The fetish games that come up and are praised by the community, regardless of engine, are mostly fueled by the initial open invitation to simply try, and that invitation is what draws out talent.

And the thing is that despite what you mentioned, a lot of developers here DO love their games. They’re called passion projects for a reason!

More than anything, I hate to see that the idea of games that are ambitious being held back by the dangerous idea that all games ever made have to be that way. As both an artist and developer myself, deep-seated perfectionism doesn’t help anyone, and neither does gatekeeping development tools from being accessible.

To summarize, if anyone can cook. Then let them cook.

8 Likes

This is incorrect. I am saying that ease of access has caused the flooding of this site with generic games that all share the exact same gameplay loop with no inherent differences. Most RPG maker games are “Talk to the people you need to talk to, fight enemies on the path there, equip armor and tools to increase your battle efficiency” and most of them use the same landlocked combat system that makes more use of RNG than skill, completely ruining the concept of fair combat in favor of something that just, turns into crossing your fingers and playing the same 1-2-MAYBE 3 actions if they somehow encourage guarding over using that action to attack (props to those that do.) Again, I don’t hate all projects that use RPG maker- there’s some Great ones out there, but that’s because most of them either work with the system they have or they bend it over backwards and make it into their bitch to surpass it’s limitations. Using the As-Is combat system is deeply flawed.

The fact that it allows people to create games that have very little love put into them, and still get a complete game. The goalpost needs to be moved, like, way the fuck over. Completely scratch default combat mechanics and give me a reason to go places outside of “oh hey I need X”, you know? Both, “Dungeon of the Devourer” and “SFRPG - EXTENDED” are some of my favorite examples of this:

DotG features a system where you’re encouraged to change what form you take on to fight enemies to get an advantage over them by directly changing how much damage you give and take. Still, the generic combat system leaves much to be desired: Some combats are simply too hard without certain buffs/debuffs, and some combats too easy when you’ve got the right kink at your side going in- The scrapping of all mechanical skill from the equation (In RPG maker, Not DotG inherently) means you have very little to actually accomplish… one game, I forgot which, (I think it was Paladin Princess?) actually had some enemies telegraph strong attacks, which gave you an opportunity to dust off the guard feature that usually has very little purpose because you never know if an enemy is going to use a strong or weak attack without said telegraph system.

Likewise, SFRPG actually completely does my favorite: Bends it over backwards and serves it chicago-style. Completely changes how the normal stats works, gives you visually represented and sexy as hell skill upgrades through the form of increasing your weight class- increasing your damage, unlocking new abilities, and those abilities you gain are just flat out better: There’s no pretending with which one’s going to be better, It’s usually said flat-out in the skill’s description, and there’s no bulky mana bar to get in your way of spamming all the best attacks, since enemies scale stronger the further into the world you go.

Furthermore, SFRPG also features two inflation types- Blueberry and helium- that both give you extra skills to use in the form of a limited Feeding option if you can overpower the enemy, which is hands-down one of the best ways to beat one of the bosses that requires you beat them by stuffing them.

All three of these games do wonders BECAUSE they take what RPG maker offers them, says “fuck you, I’ll do what I want” and put some spins on it that make it more interesting than just “I hit attack!.. They attack me!.. I hit attack!.. They attack me!..” and puts at least a little thought into the combat side of the game- which is by far RPGmaker’s absolute worst default mechanic. (Naturally, SFRPG, which breaks it the most, is my favorite of these examples.)

These artists went out of their way to change what was already given to them BECAUSE they had a vision that they loved enough to go through the pain of changing the systems already in place! In other words, I am not so much saying that any medium in particular is terrible and should never be ever used, as much as I mean to put emphasis on: “The more of your game that YOU make, the more unique and interesting it will be.” As such, RPGmaker, which takes over a huge amount of the content you make, is a bad medium WHEN you let it define the game you’re making.

Sure, it’s a nice building block to start from, it really stream-lines some things I imagine, but it achieves that stream-lining through replacing a large portion of mechanics that would be wild and diverse and whacky, with spamming the J or the Z or the ENTER key for a few minutes every now and then and saving after every combat, with the use of health potions as needed.

It’s this corporate samey-ness that REALLY grinds my gears because it’s the same thing as buildings across every street being giant concrete bricks with the same white sterile decor on the inside- All of those buildings would be much preferred by me if they were just… Brave enough to be themselves. Brave enough to defy the medium and create something better than what was defined by their predecessors.

What I’m trying to get at is, yes, I’m aware my words were an incorrect way of trying to get across what I was really meaning to say, and I thank you for calling me out on that front- However I do, still, have a point, and I’d like to think maybe something I say in this thread will resonate with someone here- RPG maker is a bad medium when the artist using it allows it to take over all of their game and completely ruin any kind of uniqueness it could have had.

I, by far, do not expect everything to be perfect, or great, or even good- Making mistakes is how art gets better, but largely? Using RPG maker just limits artists by filling in gaps that would have been much nicer to see some difference in. I just wanna see people making Unique games, not just the same gameplay loop over and over and over again… It’s like eating nothing but apple cinnamon oat meal. Sure, it’s good every now and then for a bowl or two, but… Please can I have something else? Even if it’s still oat meal(An RPG game), can it like… have something new in it? Have something that dares to be something more than apple and cinnamon?

I get where you’re coming from, but unfortunately the fastest way to learn all the elements of game design is to make several mediocre games, often using default assets and out-of-the-box code, until you’re well versed enough in the basics to go for something new and interesting. Basically the game equivalent of drawing cubes and cylinders in perspective or still lifes featuring fruit. A big part of this whole “crucible of art” thing you got going on is the response to your mediocre stuff.
Are starter games good? Usually no. Are they unique? Definitely not. But! They are Games™, which is really the only point when you’re starting out. And yeah, it can be annoying to look through a bunch of samey stuff to get to the good shit, and most people won’t even spare a second glance at another rpgmaker game where you start out fighting bats for no reason, but honestly even after not looking on here for like a week it doesn’t take more than 10 minutes to get through the new topics and see if there’s anything worth playing.
Honestly even with starting a new job I would highly encourage you to make some shitty two minute games to get the ball rolling. You don’t gotta share them with anyone, but an hour or two of cowboy coding every week is worth way more than “proper coding education” that you never end up having time to do.

7 Likes

I have been reading through this thread, and I have to say, sorry not sorry, the take “art should be frustratingly inaccessible” is deeply upsetting.

I’ve got pretty severe adhd and depression in my IRL life. I have been really, really trying to learn game design, to work on writing, and to explore my passions here and outside of kink.

And it is a miserable Hell I do not wish on anyone, that it is this hard. I WISH things were easier. I struggle to focus and undestand each coding lesson I watch or download or read. I fight myself, my equipment, and my anxiety just to make and post anything.

Your take is irresponsible and will scare amateur creators away from doing things because they’re fun. Games are about fun. Even kink games.

Games are art, yes, but they’re also fun. You should make a game because you are excited to make it, because you yourself would love to play it. The heart should be optimistic in development, about the joy of what your game is.

It should not be a pretentiously gatekept field that only those with the time, natural talent, and financial resources to work their asses off should take a stab in.

I have been outspoken as not a fan of AI art, personally. However, while I agree with you on not loving AI art, I disagree with you on the way you value art - the value of art is not in suffering and hard work, but in the joy of making things.

TLDR: Your comment seemed insensitive to those of us that are amateurs to these various fields, and I believe games, especially in a space like this, thrive on the passion of amateurs and people JUST TRYING TO HAVE FUN!

EDIT: I also don’t like the implication made that some forms of games are of higher value than others. I personally adore playing each and every VN here, though they all vary in quality obviously, and love working on my own VN projects. Does it matter that VNs don’t really take gamer skill to play? No! They’re fun for their own reasons. And I do really dislike the attitude of “I’m not calling out any devs here…” and then outlining the things you dislike about games here, with explicit shared details of many recent waves of games (AI art visual novels, for example.) It feels like a backpedal, like you want to criticize specific games, but don’t want to violate forum rules or get personal with anyone, just condemn the projects indirectly.

10 Likes

Right, let me get that out there: I love VN/CYOA stuff, I just don’t think they really should be called games? Because it’s more of just a storytelling medium. Just like RPG maker games, there’s no inherent skill in picking choices from a list of options; excluding strategic knowledge, and even after a certain point that can only make things slightly more interesting.

Thusly the only thing both of 'em are good for is the fact that they always tell a story, and they hold no hands on that part- it’s 100% up to the person making it to come up with a story, and therefore it’s 100% always going to be that special personal touch in the stories involved in them.

And, once again, I apologize for my previous takes: I let my fingers move before my brain did. A better way of saying what I intended is… people should make as much of their own games as possible. RPG maker happens to be flawed in this concept because, as mentioned above, it is all too easy to give yourself a generic battle system with no unique identity of it’s own- meaning most of these games’ combat mechanics are the same rehashed, constantly churned out content with little difference between them, and that’s not the fault of the developer; it’s the fault of the medium- RPG maker- for making it so easy to just… plug in their samey, personality-less combat system. Even for games that don’t need it, and maybe, just maybe, would be better if it was intentionally avoided.

I remember there was this one game where you played as a princess and the game jokingly had a combat sequence with a slime that pretty much mopped the floor with your ass as a secret ending. That’s a pretty memorable use of the system, hahaha.

But yeah like, if you can’t program a combat system, then like… I’d enthuse that you learn how instead of using the 4,973rd millionth copy of RPG maker’s combat system. Not only is it more rewarding to make your own stuff, it also means you’ll have something different from anyone else’s, at least in terms of looks.(Also please, for the love of god make sure the movement speed is bearable)

In many ways the goal of Weight Gaming is to encourage people to make games that cater to our tastes. In that aspect I’d say it has been a resounding success. Many people have tried their hand at creating sometthing for the first time.

Are all those games from first-timers going to be ground-breaking? No of course they’re not. Some have been though.

The first game I ever programmed was naughts and crosses (tic-tac-toe), I had to toggle that into the memory of a 6800, and it was hardly original. The next was a version of the classic Star Trek game played on an 8x8 grid - that least advancements meant I could key in in hex. Again, not original, a reproduction. After cobbling together a rudimentary bit-mapped graphics system with a resolution of 94x64 I tried my hand at Space Invaders. To put this into context this was when Space Invader cabinets were new, and Virgin record shops had queues to play it, and no home computer you could buy had bit-mapped graphics.

My point is that all these were steps along the journey to becoming a competent programmer and being able to develop games. It’s totally unreasonable to expect a solo dev’s first game to be novel and ground breaking. It’s a craft that has to be learned, particularly if you don’t have a formal education in the art of programming or any experience of game design.

If anything we should be encouraging people to try their hand at it, as it’s the only way they’ll get good. An attitude of “come back when you’ve good” is counter-productive. They’ll never get good if they don’t try, and get constructive feedback.

Developers develop games in the style they like playing, be it CYOA, platformer, JRPG, VN. That is going to influence the engine they build on top of. If you don’t like a particular genre it’s not helpful to just dismiss what comes by default.

Twine is designed for CYOAs - a perfectly valid style of game. It’s built on Tiddlywiki and that’s where it’s passage linking originates from. Of course it can be pushed much much further as you’ve full access to the DOM and Javascript. What makes each game unique is they story being told. If you want to offer advice to improve them, this is where you need to start.

RPGMaker in it’s various forms is made to ape classic JRPGs. Now it’s fine to not like those, but that’s hardly the fault of a dev who does like them! Players expect certain fundamentals from games in that style. It would be a mistake for someone appealing to that nostalgia to remove or subvert those elements. And yes, combat balancing is hard, it always will be (I’m looking at you D&D 5e - a game with ~50 years of development). A proficient developer would monte-carlo that to death, but that’ hardly the forte of a novice. If you want better games, work out how to do it and post your findings. Also the thing is a first-timer who wants to work in that style isn’t going to mess with the elements that are already working.

Ren’Py, similarly, is built to provide a framework for a style of game (and not-game) that is similar to a popular aspect of Japanese game development. It’s a story-telling enviroment, and what the dev can bring to the table is a new and novel story - not unique and novel gameplay. Story-telling games are for the most part inherently collaborative rather than challenging in nature.

Finally I’d also challenge the idea that players here don’t want a horny slideshow. That is absolutely what a proportion do want! Requests for key bindings that allow one-handed play are not unheard of. With that in mind a fetish game with challenging gameplay where the player has to work and solve puzzles to get what they want is counter-productive. Making the end state almost inevitable is actually good design, providing means to accelerate and provide diversions along the way it is where you can add design choices.

Players come back to fetish games that leave them, ahem, satisfied, not ones that leave them frustrated!

10 Likes

Irenicusmw, I suspect a lot of your personal issues with trawling cliche and unpolished beginner projects would be addressed with better curation tools, like being able to see members’ favorites.

That way, it would be easier for you personally to avoid games you don’t like AND help show amateurs what is possible in the space (that last bit is part of what I was trying to get at with accessible history). One downside of a forum is that it privileges new and continuously updated topics, and when games are found mostly through topics, it can be harder to find good older games

EDIT: And looking back over my first post, it kind of looks like I am putting down RPG Maker, Twine, and Renpy, which I didn’t mean to do. Like GellyCannon and others said, they’re just tools, as capable of creative use as anything

2 Likes

I never said “Don’t ever try to start making games” :v I’ve just been saying “RPG maker’s combat system turns your game into an exact game mechanic clone of many other RPG maker games.”

Like dip your toes as much as possible, ahahaha, but like most games don’t need combat, and sometimes they’d be better as a twine story instead of an RPG maker game.

I literally never said twine stories are bad. I just said most of them are stories, not games and shouldn’t be called games. The closest one is Noone’s fatty RPG, which at least does itself the favor of having its own unique combat system-

Unless something has a certain amount of skill aptitude or random chance at minimum required to play and win, it’s, not a game. It’s a CYOA story and not a video game, and I think that line should be drawn in the sand somewhere- stories should be separated from games.

Also, counterpoint: Smasher and The Will O’ The Thiccs. Lasted quite a bit longer on it’s popularity trend than most of the games on this site, I’d say. I believe this is due to:

-Novel gameplay features and mechanics

-losing does NOT have to mean being frustrated, in fact the blueberry mode does the opposite- Losing is the horny condition and even if you win, things still get horny.

-one-handed controls were never bashed- Smasher uses them and I love it. I was saying controls don’t need to be inherently complicated, and if you’re going for one-handed control schema, it’s better that your controls are as simple as possible to allow naturally accessible gameplay without a second hand at the wheel.

While I understand not everybody’s first game or second or third game is going to be smasher levels of quality, the LEAST the developer can do for themselves is strive to make it as much of its own beast as possible. In a market completely stuffed with the repetitive samey copypasta of game mechanics, literally anything unique should be put on a pedestal comparatively.

Ha, sure buddy.

This is the textbook definition of elitism. Restricting access to a tool or career path to a select few fitting a set of arbitrary parameters as decided by you. The only way you could be more elitist is if you insisted that only members of old royal houses be allowed to create art.

Please, tell me, how many people on this site do you know are making these games as a full time job, with no other source of income and every minute of their free time dedicated to honing their craft, creating spectacular games with ideas no-one has ever seen before? If you truly want someone of that calibre to be making fetish games full time, drag them out of an established development studio and pay them their full wages. People here do what they can, with the time that they have and the skills that they develop along the way. And if you can’t be bothered to dedicate your free time to learning how to code, quit giving shit to those that do.

Ah yes, because every time I don’t enjoy a game I can intrinsically tell that the developer(s) behind it clearly didn’t love their creation. Clearly, every developer that does love their creation creates games catered towards my tastes specifically.

I’m no artist, but I’m pretty sure just about every artist would thoroughly disagree with you on that one. Why else would there be numerous websites dedicated to the sole purpose of sharing your art and having other people react to it? That’s such a bizarre stance, I don’t even know how you would ever arrive at that conclusion.

RPGMaker has been around in various forms for well over 20 years now, it’s hardly like there was once some fantastical utopia where this side was devoid of any RPGM games. And again, if you don’t start with the basics and get constructive feedback how the hell do you expect anyone to progress and improve?

Great way to insinuate that everyone who either isn’t talented enough or is simply content with the default layout for the project they’re working on actually just hates the game they’re making, are inherently lazy and just out there to snatch a few coins from Patreon donors.

Keywords there being “preferred by me”. Art and games are subjective, just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean everyone else has to hate it too.

These are insanely high standards to be imposing upon people, let alone those who’ve never made a game before. People are just looking to express their creativity and passion to others with similar interests, not win the next gaming Baftas. At the risk of sounding elitist from a developer’s perspective, make your own game, discover how frustratingly difficult it is, then come back to me with these same viewpoints and supposed “love” for your craft. If you can’t hold yourself to these crazy standards, don’t force them onto others.

5 Likes

This is incorrect. I am saying that ease of access has caused the flooding of this site with generic games that all share the exact same gameplay loop with no inherent differences. Most RPG maker games are…

It’s weird that you just responded to my post with “This is incorrect”, given that I said a few different things in it. Based on context I’m guessing you mean the part where I said that you think people need to be denied tools like RPG Maker in order to make games that meet your standards. Which your post does nothing to disprove - sure, you highlight a couple of games made in the platform that are good enough for you, but you’ve also said THIS little gem:

No, art, and by extension the creation of video games, does not need to be accessible, and based on my comment on AI art, it should remain frustratingly inaccessible so that people who truly love doing it can have a job doing so instead of some amateur getting paid pennies to sit at a desk making mediocre art at a rate that defies how the medium previously operated.

And you went on a tangent about how Blender is so much better for art because it’s hard to use. So clearly on some level you do believe that people need to be denied access to easy-use tools in order to force them to make better games, or at least, should not be using those tools unless they are willing to make the process as difficult for themselves as humanly possible to withstand.

Anyway, I need to address some of the other things you’ve said in this post.

The fact that it allows people to create games that have very little love put into them, and still get a complete game.

Once again, you are assuming that complexity = love. That it’s not real art unless you pour your blood and sweat and tears into it. This is nonsense. The purpose of art is communication, not masochism. The issue with these games isn’t that the creator didn’t love what they were creating, it’s that they made various creative choices that didn’t work as well as intended. This is a normal, expected part of the learning process.

I am not so much saying that any medium in particular is terrible and should never be ever used, as much as I mean to put emphasis on: “The more of your game that YOU make, the more unique and interesting it will be.” As such, RPGmaker, which takes over a huge amount of the content you make, is a bad medium WHEN you let it define the game you’re making.

The wild thing is, I don’t even disagree with this! RPG Maker projects are at their best when the creator finds a way to put their own spin on the projects. However, it seems like you’re missing an important step in the process of making a truly spectacular project: familiarizing yourself with the basics before you try to get fancy. Demanding that people march out of the gate with a project that is difficult to make is setting them up for failure. Doing simple projects, getting a feel for how the engine works and what they might want to do with it, is an important first step toward making something good.

It’s this corporate samey-ness that REALLY grinds my gears

Hobbyist game creators messing around with RPG Maker are not corporations. The sameyness that you’re complaining about isn’t because they’re forced to keep things on model for the sake of a brand, it’s because they are still learning the basics. Imagine walking into a still life painting class and griping about the “corporate sameyness” of everyone painting the same apple or whatever. It’s exactly that ridiculous.

I just wanna see people making Unique games, not just the same gameplay loop over and over and over again…

Then quit playing slush games. It’s not that hard to look at a project and suss out whether it’s a newbie project or something with a bit of kick to it. Pay attention to the complexity of presentation, the quality of screenshots if any, and how long the project has been going on. And if all that fails you, and you end up playing a game you don’t like, you can close it and move on. You’ll get a lot better results than from making a post complaining that novices are making novice projects instead of bending over backwards to make you happy.

5 Likes

I have to say that I pretty much agree with the responses to this.

If I were contemplating starting work on a game right now, and read this, I’d be vey discouraged from doing so.

3 Likes

Look, I’m gonna say it like this: RPGmaker is such a “Baby steps” kind of code system from what I’ve seen of it that it should really be looked down upon as a starting platform, purely for the reasoning of:

The game is already made for you. The only things you implement, at minimum, are:
-Enemy encounter protocol(What enemies are encountered where, how often they’re encountered, what causes enemy encounters non-randomly, etc.)
-Map design(Admittedly something I need to practice myself, But 2d isn’t my medium of choice, being a blender artist, so I most likely won’t be using this even if it’s great for learning design of various rooms and structures.)
-Story design (Placing actors in specific positions, giving them specific blurbs to spit out when you interact with them, maybe setting up special interactions when interacting with objects or people…)

As a result, someone picking up RPG maker without touching it’s more complicated parts absolutely plays themselves because you don’t learn how to make real games: You learn how to make an RPGmaker game using their Game-making software that comes pre-bundled with most of the mechanics most people will ever use.

So, No, even saying that people should use RPGmaker as a “baby’s first video game”, are wrong. The only skills you learn are skills that you learn just as well by picking up something like unity or unreal engine, and how to use the software that already has the entire game included in it.

So, No, I apologize when I said game making should be frustratingly obtuse, what I meant to say is: Making games already IS frustratingly obtuse. Hiding that from people who want to get into making games is like telling a boy scout that getting food in the wilderness is as easy as finding a berry bush.

And sometimes? Yeah. You’ll find some blueberries. But most of the time? That shit is gonna be poisonous as fuck. Like- Even with all this aside, You can learn to do all of the above and more… Using twine!! That’s right, Twine is amazing because it allows you to hone design of concepts without needing to fill it with filler content: The only difference is you have to write your own paragraphs or get someone to help you, but you can’t just use some pack of premade assets in a twine game. It’s you, a text file, and some hyperlinks, at it’s bare minimum.

That all being out there and said now, what’s the point of RPG maker? It’s clearly got far better alternatives for the only things I think it’s good for, and the things it DOES have by default are so commonly overused that they’re just copy-pasted everywhere, and while good every now and then, lacks any real creative input for the actual design of the actual game itself.

Platformers are the golden ticket to a tour in game design. To make a platformer, you must:
-Design the following

1. Gravity
  2. ground, wall, and moving platform collisions
  3. player movement and actions- Jumping, dashing, climbing, etc.
  4. Puzzle design (in the form of platforming puzzles)
  5. Visual design

Instantly, making a platformer seems like a lot better of a starting challenge than making an RPG maker game, when I put it like that, doesn’t it? Because if you want to learn, you have to LEARN. if you only keep dipping your toes in warm Stillwater, you will never be ready for the day when you’re thrust headfirst into a frigid river stream.

And don’t even say it’s too monumental of a task- These are Basic game design pieces. Almost every game has a significant portion of these involved, and it’s not like you have to build the entire game all at once. You start with a tech demo, then a proof of concept, then a proper demo, then a real game. Nobody is forcing you to use the predeveloped assets in an RPGmaker bundle to make everything work, in fact it’s better if you exactly avoid doing so for reasons listed above: You want to learn how to make a game, the best way to do that is to make a game instead of using the same game everyone else is using and slapping their own levels on. This is basically just the same thing as mass-producing high quality rom-hacks, except they’re all for the same game and feature the same premise- Either fattening yourself or others up, almost always from eating.

With all that now being said, I acknowledge I’m having an issue with “Minding my own fucking business” today so I’m going to disengage from this for the rest of today until I can calm down.