A Piece of Cake / C'est de la tarte (le français) English Translation [RenPy]

I have no idea on how to translate stuff plus my laptop is a lil wonky nd needs repair or get a new laptop cuz charger on it is really on and off and sometimes don’t charge and stuff very thankful my laptop works and stuff still but yea can’t wait till a 0.19 is out for English am excited

I did try to translate and I think I don’t know how any this tech stuff works so never gonna try to translate anything ever again cuz of its too hard for my brain to handle

1 Like

Also just randomly looked into this old thing and saw the new update from 2 days ago. Psyched!

1 Like

Does anyone still do the translations?

scroll up; dingotush has their patcher, but nobody is doing a manual translation atm

2 Likes

Yea I can’t even begin to understand how to manually translate anything I’ve tried before and failed it’s too complex for my mind

1 Like

Here’s a new version of the English patcher for C’est de la tarte v0.19 (that adds the beach, a new side story, and fixes the polution issue and some other bugs).

Usual caveats apply:

Don’t have your locale set to a non European/North America one!

• Install Java (tested with Java 8 - should work with later versions)
  • Get v0.19 from itch
  • Unzip game and patcher with a reliable unpacker eg. 7zip
  • Make sure the game works first in French!
  • Make any code edits before patching (or edit xxx-rpy.copy and re-patch)
  • Unpack this patcher and follow the ReadMe to change it to English
  • Start a new game!

patch-poc-v0.19.zip (397.9 KB)

As usual, I didn’t write the original game, and cannot fix any issues that occur in the game. Parvinjaan is aware of two late-game exceptions I’ve found so hopefully those will get fixed in the French version, in which case download that when it happens and re-patch.

During testing I’ve played through 20 years, got life expectancy up to 93, and the PC is well over a tonne. This is a slow burn game!

15 Likes

In the late game you can really snowball your weight. I remember that with all reforms, research etc. done I was gaining hundreds of kgs daily, without any health issues lmao. The perfect future.

Edit: Get this after trying to launch the patched game, any idea how to fix?

1 Like

This is normally caused by a locale problem - either when running the patcher or when installing Java (see lots of similar errors above). You need to be using a European or North American locale.

1 Like

Strange, I never changed it from my default, which by all accounts should be Polish. I’ll check once I get back home later today, but I doubt that’s the issue

It may just be that the Windows code page for Polish is sufficiently different to cause trouble. I’m afraid I don’t have a good way to test it, or where exactly it goes wrong (everything inside Java is utf). Mostly it affects those running with east asian locales to play games from there.

You might be able to fudge it by starting the patcher from the command line. Go to the unpacked patcher directory and try:

java -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=GB -jar RenTx.jar
1 Like

Embarrassed to admit it, but I forgot that could happen. Maybe I’d recommend adding a paragraph about this to the readme so others don’t fail to notice it should they have the same issue :sweat_smile:. Now it’s working fine.

1 Like

Is there any other way for you to make this besides a .jar file? Because I cannot for the life of me get it to work. I’ve downloaded Java but it’s not showing up as a usable file at all.

Windows is stupid.

I just installed Java. The .jar file opens normally. But if I make a batch file to open it from the command line, it insists I don’t have Java installed and fails.

Stupid Windows…

Good to know. I will add something ready for next time. Still no idea why that character trips up for some users - it’s worked hundreds of times for me (with Ren’Py on auto-reaload too).

No, I’m not rewriting in in another language! Make sure .jar files are associated with Java and not some broken unzip tool. If the jar has been unzipped, delete any folders and files that aren’t part of the original zip.

As pointed out many, many times in this thread, report game bugs on the dev’s itchio. They won’t see it here, and I can’t fix it.

You probably need to set up the environment variable JAVA_HOME and ensure java is in your path. Either for your user environment as a whole, or for that script.

If your running the patcher from a script you can pass the location of the game as a parameter so you only need to click on “Patch”, eg:

java -jar RenTx.jar C:/Users/dingo/Downloads/Cestdelatarte-0.19-pc
1 Like

All, the pre-patched English version for Windows is now available from itch.io.

4 Likes

To reiterate with all the new updates, you still can’t get the friend to move in with you, right?

Translation works good without any problems.
Hovewer the game itself still has some mechanical problem related to health/hunger - to be healthy and not die you need only eat salad, drink water, workout, go for a walk each day. At the same time 1 salad already makes you too full and you are almost dead after eating it.

Potion of youth doesn’t change the age on the translation one does lower the weight in half though. Least on the one I downloaded from itch the translated 0.19 that shows up on there

There are still bugs in the game so report those on itch. The translation doesn’t change the game mechanics at all (for better or worse), so any bugs are in the original.

However I think some of the bugs have been fixed prior to the translation being patched in.

3 Likes

I’ll make a itch account tomorrow or sometime and say about it