A Piece of Cake / C'est de la tarte (le français) English Translation [RenPy]

I dont seem to get to work java, i mean i dowload java but it doesnt open (version 8) so if anyone know another free version or how to fix it

The translation installer seemed to “hang” at map-test.txt (it stopped doing new things but also didn’t close or say it was done). Is this normal? Game seems to be working okay so far…

longtime lurker - figured i’d put it out there that there’s a new version of this out if anyone has the time/interest in translating. tried a machine translation myself and had some issues w/ crashes cause I’ve never attempted that kind of thing before

here’s the changelog

8 Likes

Exciting, can’t wait for the english version 0.19 update!

3 Likes

How did you get MAchine translation to work (or at least, change something)? Because when I tried it, it didn’t change anything.

You need to make sure that you are translating French to English. I had to change the default settings for it to work. Maybe also try out translation sources, as google was giving me 400 errors. You also want to preserve any strings that contain [someFrenchWord] as the variable names may get partially translated and break during runtime. You could use a regex expression or something for that maybe. I was halfway through translating when it crashed and my translations were lost, so good luck getting it all fixed.

2 Likes

Ooh nice to see an update on this

Thanks for letting us know!

The existing patcher should make a good stab at this, but there are around a thousand new/changed lines of text that will remain in French. It will also warn about a variable, but you can ignore that - it’s in one of the new files it doesn’t know about yet.

I’ll post again when I’ve updated the patcher … this may take a while.

15 Likes

I have no idea on how to translate stuff plus my laptop is a lil wonky nd needs repair or get a new laptop cuz charger on it is really on and off and sometimes don’t charge and stuff very thankful my laptop works and stuff still but yea can’t wait till a 0.19 is out for English am excited

I did try to translate and I think I don’t know how any this tech stuff works so never gonna try to translate anything ever again cuz of its too hard for my brain to handle

1 Like

Also just randomly looked into this old thing and saw the new update from 2 days ago. Psyched!

1 Like

Does anyone still do the translations?

scroll up; dingotush has their patcher, but nobody is doing a manual translation atm

2 Likes

Yea I can’t even begin to understand how to manually translate anything I’ve tried before and failed it’s too complex for my mind

1 Like

Here’s a new version of the English patcher for C’est de la tarte v0.19 (that adds the beach, a new side story, and fixes the polution issue and some other bugs).

Usual caveats apply:

Don’t have your locale set to a non European/North America one!

• Install Java (tested with Java 8 - should work with later versions)
  • Get v0.19 from itch
  • Unzip game and patcher with a reliable unpacker eg. 7zip
  • Make sure the game works first in French!
  • Make any code edits before patching (or edit xxx-rpy.copy and re-patch)
  • Unpack this patcher and follow the ReadMe to change it to English
  • Start a new game!

patch-poc-v0.19.zip (397.9 KB)

As usual, I didn’t write the original game, and cannot fix any issues that occur in the game. Parvinjaan is aware of two late-game exceptions I’ve found so hopefully those will get fixed in the French version, in which case download that when it happens and re-patch.

During testing I’ve played through 20 years, got life expectancy up to 93, and the PC is well over a tonne. This is a slow burn game!

15 Likes

In the late game you can really snowball your weight. I remember that with all reforms, research etc. done I was gaining hundreds of kgs daily, without any health issues lmao. The perfect future.

Edit: Get this after trying to launch the patched game, any idea how to fix?

1 Like

This is normally caused by a locale problem - either when running the patcher or when installing Java (see lots of similar errors above). You need to be using a European or North American locale.

1 Like

Strange, I never changed it from my default, which by all accounts should be Polish. I’ll check once I get back home later today, but I doubt that’s the issue

It may just be that the Windows code page for Polish is sufficiently different to cause trouble. I’m afraid I don’t have a good way to test it, or where exactly it goes wrong (everything inside Java is utf). Mostly it affects those running with east asian locales to play games from there.

You might be able to fudge it by starting the patcher from the command line. Go to the unpacked patcher directory and try:

java -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=GB -jar RenTx.jar
1 Like

Embarrassed to admit it, but I forgot that could happen. Maybe I’d recommend adding a paragraph about this to the readme so others don’t fail to notice it should they have the same issue :sweat_smile:. Now it’s working fine.

1 Like

Is there any other way for you to make this besides a .jar file? Because I cannot for the life of me get it to work. I’ve downloaded Java but it’s not showing up as a usable file at all.